You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "beanbangle" started this thread

Reg: Aug 10th 2009

Wednesday, September 2nd 2009, 3:48pm

IUI versus IVF?

Hello All!

Not sure if I'm posting in the right place but here goes:

We just had our first round of IVF, which unfortunately failed (I have PCOS and DH has agglutinated sperm). None of the 8 IVF eggs fertilised - the embryologist thinks that DH's sperm could not attach to my eggs for some reason. This is in contrast to the fact that we got pg naturally one year earlier (miscarriage).

I have a new gynae now (we recently moved) and he is suggesting that we try a few rounds of IUI, before moving onto ICSI. However, I'm wondering if the IUI is just a waste of time (he predicts 5-15% sucess rate, as opposed to 30-40% for ICSI). If there's a big risk that DH's sperm won't attach to mine, then how will IUI help?

So, IVF/ICSI versus IUI - what are your thoughts?

Babydust to all!

BB xxx

kimtia

Superstar

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 9th 2008

Children: Hopefully one day.......

Wednesday, September 2nd 2009, 11:21pm

RE: IUI versus IVF?

I'm not sure as IUI was never an option for us, my DF has supersperm but I have no tubes due to losing them through ectopics.

IUI works on here for lots of ladies but so does IVF, thats no help is it ?? Sorry.

I always believe that you have to do what is right for you and what you believe in the most.

Wishing you all the best xx

Reg: Feb 12th 2009

Children: Golden Retriever / Husband - do they count???

Saturday, September 5th 2009, 5:32pm

Hi,
We had 4 rounds of IUI in total and tbh I just wanted to skip these and move on to IVF. I never held out much hope for the IUI working and felt in our case it was time and money wasting (maybe because I was so negative, it didn't work). But there have been many successes for IUI as I have seen on the BFP threads. Are you paying for this yourself or will this be funded?

X X X

• "beanbangle" started this thread

Reg: Aug 10th 2009

Monday, September 7th 2009, 1:49pm

Thanks Kimtia and Dottie, your responses have made it much easier to make a decision.

I've decided to go straight onto the IVF/ICSI - I don't think I could half-heartedly go through the IUI process, convinced it wasn't going to work anyway.

We're paying for it ourselves, so obviously the option we've chosen is much more expensive, but at this stage we can afford it and it means so much to us for this to succeed, that we've sort of stopped caring about the cost (might not be so sure closer to Christmas when we're in debt :)

Anyway, thanks again, and good luck to both of you,

BB xxx

Duffymoon

Megastar

Reg: Jun 11th 2007

Children: Boy/girl twins born 2010

Monday, September 7th 2009, 2:58pm

I think you've made the right decision BB.

I was going to say I'd be pro IVF and do not know of many IUI successes, on here or elsewhere. Obviously the success rate you were given is a fair reflection of this.

You say you had IVF first time and the 8 didn't fertilise; not sure if you had ICSI as the fertilisation method or just IVF but what I would say is to go for ICSI.

Best of luck for your next cycle [zx189]

xx

4 x ICSI BFN
5th time :BFP:
:boy: :girl:

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE