You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 27 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

  • "dizzyduck" started this thread

Posts: 1,315

Reg: Apr 23rd 2007

Location: London

  • Send private message


Tuesday, June 26th 2007, 11:12pm


Hi all
Feeling in a bit of a dilemma just now. Saw consultant today and have decided to start on IUI with clomid. Now I'm thinking it all over, I'm wondering if we should have gone straight to IVF. Main issue is my age (40) and DPs chronic bad back which means no BDing for quite a while - aside from that, all my tests are fine an his sperm count/motility is very good. Consultant really just gave us statistics and left us to it so I am now wondering if we've done the right thing? Anyone been in a similar position? Was feeling good earlier about getting started with treatment but now feeling a bit low...
Sorry to winge but feel very confused


Me 42 DP 40
TTC 3yrs
IVF Oct 07 and Jan 08 - both poor response & converted to IUI - BFN
May 08, Aug 08 and Oct 08 natural :BFP: m/c at 6, ,5 and 9 weeks :sadface:
May 09 another shock natural :BFP: Perfect little boy born 12 feb 2010.

Posts: 1,305

Reg: Feb 28th 2007

Location: Central Scotland

  • Send private message


Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 11:47am


There is no such thing as whinging on here. Big hug to you. :rainbow:

I am facing a similar predicament at the minute and the biggest issue for us is success rates and cost.

The success rates for IUI in my area is approx 10% and for IVF it is 25%.

The cost of IUI is approx £1000 per shot compared to £3000 for IVF.

We had an abandonded cycle for IUI which could not be converted to IVF because we hadn't signed the appropriate consent forms and had not had an IVF talk with the nurse. I found this really frustrating at the time as it felt like a waste of a cycle.
If i could go back, i would have prepared for all eventualites.

We have now signed all the forms and had a chat with the nurse so if i should be over stimulated on the cycle of IUI it could convert to IVF.

I don't know if this helps but i hope it does

Metformin for 2 1/2 years
Clomid - 100mg for 6 cycles
Laparoscopy - 06 - normal
Feb 07 - unsuccessful IUI
May 07 - abandonded IUI - overstimulated
July 07 - IVF :BFP
15th April - my little miracle arrived



Posts: 7,427

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Location: Edinburgh

Children: one very special daughter

  • Send private message


Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 12:14pm

Hi Dizzyduck,

we faced the same dilemma earlier in the year when deciding whether or not to go for IVF. our situation was slightly different in that DH has lower than average motility. we saw 2 consultants and asked about IUI as I was keen to try this before IVF but both advised us to go for IVF as they didn't consider IUI to be very successful.
that's just their opinion though and I know that lots of people on here have been successful with IUI. I guess it comes down to resources - both time and cash. one consultant did also point out that IVF can be considered as diagnostic as well because until you put the sperm and egg together there is no way of telling if the latter can be penetrated by the former.

not wanting to sound negative or nosey, but can you afford both and how long after a failed IUI could you try IVF? best to prepare for all eventualities....

good luck with what you decide xxx

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012



  • "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Posts: 12,830

  • Send private message


Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 12:21pm

I will be honest with you and say go for ivf

For some it works and if you feel you have the time the its well worth a try really
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine



Posts: 3,468

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

  • Send private message


Wednesday, June 27th 2007, 12:28pm

I went straight to IVF since we were short of time. If I had the time I would def have gone for IUI.
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 27 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.