You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Reg: Jul 4th 2006

Wednesday, June 13th 2007, 12:54pm

Quoted

Originally posted by mrs_smiff
According to the director of the clinic in Norway, they can offer this treatment so cheaply because couples over there are GUARANTEED 3 treatments paid for in their entirety from the government (their equivelant of our NHS) If the private treatment were more expensive, nobody would use it.

I've just double checked the cost of PESA/TESE, as I had a wobble when you said how much it is over here Susie. I was wrong. The cost of ICSI is £1600 and IVF treatment with PESA/TESE is £1700-so they only actually charge £100 more. Well worth looking at if you are going to have to go through this procedure.

OMG - I'm stunned! this lot would prob cost us 8 grand over here! :scream:

All I need now is to convince DH, water the money tree in the garden and hey presto! Norway here we come! happydance

Would the accomodation flights be on top of this tho?

Susie x

Me 39+3 ok
DH 39 Azoospermia
3xDIUI all BFN
Plan B AI known donor, 4 x BFN :tears:
:BFP: 22 March 2008! happydance :sticky:please

mrs_smiff

Superstar

• "mrs_smiff" started this thread

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Wednesday, June 13th 2007, 2:27pm

Hi Susie,

Accommodation and flights are on top of this. However, Ryanair flights start at 1p each way (with taxes included it works out at approx £35 return each) as long as you can book a couple of weeks in advance. Accommodation is easy. There is a hotel in the same town as both the airport and the clinic (Haugesund) called the Radisson SAS. They have an agreement with the clinic to provide discount rates for clients. A double hotel room inclusive of breakfast and evening meal is £60 per night. There are also apartments you can hire on a self catering basis at around £33 per night. We figured that as food is pretty expensive over there, it is actually fairly cost effective to go for the hotel package.

The clinic offers a free first consultation, and will work this to fit around you. You tell them when you can get cheap flights, and they will give you an appointment to suit. Ther are NO waiting lists!!

You pay for the treatment on your second trip out there. As long as the have received payment before egg collection you can pay whenever you like.

If you contact the consultant, Jon Hausken, at this email address post@ivfhausken.no he will give you a brief outline of treatment and confirm costs.

I reckon that even with flights and accommodation costs, you are still going to make a substantial saving on Uk prices, (especially with the TESE/PESA).

Good Luck!!
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

Wednesday, June 13th 2007, 3:52pm

Oh thanks for the info! thumbup

Just need to work on DH now :yes:and water that blooming money tree!

Susie x

Me 39+3 ok
DH 39 Azoospermia
3xDIUI all BFN

Addy

Ace

Reg: Nov 6th 2006

Sunday, June 17th 2007, 3:21pm

Hi everyone,

I can't believe that I missed this thread. I think it's brill that everyone's keeping their options open and are thinking about going abroad. I don't think it's for everyone but I really feel that DH and I have made the right choice. I can confirm everything Mrsmiff is saying about Norway as that's where we're having our ICSI. The treatment is cheaper than here, they're willing to put 2 embyros back in and there are no hidden costs. So far, we've only paid for the drugs and flights. You pay for the treatment before egg collection. If I abandoned tomorrow (lets say due to OHSS), I wouldn't pay a thing. Over here, I'd already have paid £2000 or similar because they'd charge you for scans and their time. They're just so personable over there. Even if we don't get our BFP (which we will), I think the service we've had over there was far better than here, but that's just my experience. I know a lot of people are impressed with the clinics here.

Jon says that he's getting a 50% success rate at the moment from his British couples but overall his success rate is about 38%. However he says that about 40% of his clients are over 38. I've been speaking to 5 girls who've had treatment there, 4 are now pregnant (2 with twins, 1 with a single and 1 who doesn't know yet). 1 unfortunately got a BFN. I think that's excellent and has really made me believe that this man knows what he's doing.

If anyone wants any details about Norway, you can just PM me or ask Mrsmiff. Either of us will answer your questions.

Best of luck

Addy
xxxx
Me-33 DH-40
2 boys from ICSI
Donor cycle Mar '11 - 3 recipients (2 x BFP (both with twins) 1 x BFN)

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Sunday, June 17th 2007, 3:43pm

There you go, straight from the horse mouth!

How's the treatment going Addy? You must be flying out soon too. Keep me posted won't you!!
I have 4 lovely big kids

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Children: my fur baby shawnee and my beautiful daughter C born Dec 2010

Wednesday, June 20th 2007, 8:55pm

mrs smiff

wont be long till you fly out to norway now :)

just wanted to wish you luck
TTC for 7 years (MFI and Immune problems)
6 ICSI's so far all BFN
Cycle with Immune treatment in Nottingham - :BFP:

Ellie's PG Diary

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, June 20th 2007, 8:56pm

good luck girl

can't wait to hear how it all goes for you
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Leela

Reg: Jun 14th 2007

Thursday, June 21st 2007, 6:12pm

RE: IVF/ICSI treatment abroad

Hi there
I am having treatment in Denmark, and In fact I need to test on saturday - eek!

But whilst I did my IVF I wrote this website to help others...

IVF in Europe

www.ivfineurope.co.uk

I hope it helps you find something

Leela x

**Admin/Moderator note - This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityZone.co.uk is not responsible for the content of external internet sites**
TTC 2.5 Yrs
Had every test known to man
IUI Nov 06 - BFN
IUI Feb 07 - BFN
IVF June 07, Denmark [zx076] BFP!! Son born 23rd Feb 08

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Thursday, June 21st 2007, 6:26pm

How did you get on with the clinic in Denmark Leela? Di you find them easy to talk to? One of my big bugbears with services over here is that the professionals make you feel like they are doing you a big favour and I HATE it!! Having been abroad a lot and liked the attitude, I think if I need another go/goes at ICSI I will defo go abroad again.
I have 4 lovely big kids

Reg: Feb 4th 2007

Saturday, June 23rd 2007, 11:09am

Good luck Mrs Smiff hope all goes well with your appointment blowkiss

Me 28 DH 29
TTC 4 1/2 yrs
MC 2004 7wks MC 2005 11 wks
ICSI Dec 2006
Cancelled after EC:high risk OHSS
11 Frosties
Nat Fet March 07 BFN
7 Frosties :)
Med Fet May 07 BFP
VERY SHOCKING NAT BFP MAY 09

sweetpeas

Unregistered

Sunday, June 24th 2007, 9:20pm

Hi everyone

I don't know if you're interested in what I have to say, but I'll tell you anyway. I'm living in Germany and just wanted to say if you have any q's about how things are done here, then feel free to ask.

This is where we are having icsi : world wide web .fertilitycenter-berlin.de/index_en.php you can find the costs here.

In Germany the law allows tr of max 3 embryos, and I don't know the exact figures, but I know that they have to transfer latest 3 days after EC. But that doesn't have to be bad news, there are plenty of people who say it's better for the Embs to be where they belong anyhow ;-)

Everyone is really friendly here, and there are lots more clinics to chose from.

And I've also heard this clinic in Austria has an excellent reputation: world wide web .ivf.at/UK/default.htm
good luck

luv sweetpeas in Berlin

Monday, June 25th 2007, 10:50am

Fingers crossed mrs smiff all goes ok in Norway! :pray:

Susie x

Me 39+3 ok
DH 39 Azoospermia
3xDIUI all BFN

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Monday, June 25th 2007, 11:24am

Hi everyone. getting really excited today as we are leaving for Norway tomorrow. We are setting off for Stansted tonight as it's such a long haul from here, and staying in a hotel near the airport.

I am photocopying my notes from our last treatment today so we can take them with us. My blood test results are still not back from the docs yet, so I'll probably have to have another blood test in Norway, but that's no biggy. DH's results are back so he won't have to have them done again which is a relief cos he has a serious needle phobia! It's no fun trying to catch a 6 foot 1 bloke as he faints!

I will update this thread when I come back on Thursday. Adios!!
I have 4 lovely big kids

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Monday, June 25th 2007, 11:26am

Thanks for the info btw sweetpeas. It's really good to have info for clinics in other countries which people actually have first hand experience with. Good luck for your treatment, and welcome to the site!!
I have 4 lovely big kids

sweetpeas

Unregistered

Monday, June 25th 2007, 11:29am

That's ok

then I wish you all the best for your treatment in Norway. Good luck
luv sweetpeas

kar1

Monday, June 25th 2007, 11:37am

mrs smiff

good luck hunni
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

Rae

Star

Reg: Apr 20th 2007

Children: 4

Monday, June 25th 2007, 11:39am

Good luck Mrs Smiff.

x

Me 40
DP 43
twin boys born '93, dd born '98 [zx076]

Pootle

Megastar

Reg: Mar 31st 2007

Children: 2 beautiful girls.

Monday, June 25th 2007, 11:42am

Good luck, Mrs Smiff!

x

My family is complete...I am grateful every day

DD1, natural miracle, 2005
DD2, IVF miracle, 2008

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Friday, June 29th 2007, 11:34am

Well here I am, back in the uk after a VERY successful consultation in Norway!

Right, where to start! It seems I do not have PCO, as was previously diagnosed by the last clinic. I'm not sure if it can just disappear like that, or it was a mis-diagnosis, so if anyone has any clue about that please let me know!

DH's SA is not as bad as has been made out either. It is variable, so there may be a chance that we will be able to use just straight forward IVF for our next treatment as opposed to ICSI. If the SA on the day is borderline, we may also be able to use half the eggs collected for ICSI, and half for IVF to see which fairs better. That is certainly not something I have heard of being done in the UK. We weren't given any choice before, it had to be one or the other and that had to be decided at the time of paying. The difference is only £100 in Norway, so it makes no odds fiinancially.

With regard to my previous down regging marathon of 9 weeks, the consultant has said there is no way he would ever let a patient go for that long which is a relief. I will be down regging for just over 2 weeks then straight onto stimms after. If it turns out when I return to Norway that the DR hasn't been successful, the cons will stop the treatment altogether. He reckons that the DR phase is the simple part, and if that doesn't work as it should, then the liklihood is that the whole treatment will fail, so he won't waste time and money on it. IF this happens, he will put me on a 'short, aggressive protocol', where I will stimulate alongside my natural cycle, and miss out the DR phase altogether. Hopefully this won't happen, but it is a contingency plan anyway.

With regard to my crap eggs retrieved last time, and the very poor fertilisation we got (only 3 grade 2-3 embies out of 10 eggs), the consultant reckons my eggs were collected too early. he said that in a normal AF cycle, it takes 14 days for eggs to be ripened in the ovaries before ovulation, so we should stick to what happens naturally as much as possible. He said he will probably leave me 14-15 days on stimms, and wait til my follies are pretty big before doing EC. This makes total sense to me, and feels like someone is actually listening to me this time.

So, my treatment plan is as follows;

Started Metformin, (I seem to have an issue with insulin resistance which is otally separate from that related to PCOS). I will work up to taking 3 a day over the next few weeks.

On the first day of my next AF (in a few days time), I will start taking the contraceptive pill. I will take a whole pack (28 days) then start straight onto a new pack which I will take for a further 19 days. after this I will start sniffing for DR. (The contraceptive pill is to ensure I have an AF during DR, which I didn't have last time, which messed the whole thing up).

I will sniff for 2 weeks, four times a day, and then on the Wednesday after, I will start injecting for stimms.

I will inject for 10days. On day 10 I will be back at the clinic for a tracking scan. EC will likely be on day 14 or 15 of stimming, depending on follie sizes, with ET 2 days later.

So with this timetable, we are looking at ET around the 18th September. I feel this is a pretty auspicious time of year for me, as all my babies have been conceived in Sept, Oct or Nov! (Perhaps I have a rutting season like a deer!!)

I feel really good after this consultation, and really positive about it all. The treatment all makes so much more sense than last time, when it all seemed to go against my natural cycle. I know there's no chance of DR'ing for months this time, and while there's a bit of a risk that when I return to Norway for my days 10 follie scan that things won't be as they should be, I am fairly confident that it will be a-ok.

So now, I can't wait for it all to begin! The consultant has given us a 50% chance of success based on his results for UK patients which is fantastic. We are really impressed with the clinic and the staff in it. They are so friendly and supportive, and the clinic is so clean and modern too. There is no language barrier at all which makes thiings so much easier too.

I can't recommend this clinic enough to anybody!!
I have 4 lovely big kids

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "mrs_smiff" (Jun 29th 2007, 11:36am)

kar1

Friday, June 29th 2007, 11:43am

im so pleased it all went postive for you hunni

well done for finding such a fab clinic to help you
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

Addy

Ace

Reg: Nov 6th 2006

Friday, June 29th 2007, 11:58am

Karen,

Well done....am so glad you liked Jon and his team. They are really really lovely and they? and I feel that they desperately want it to work for everybody.

Addy
xxxx
Me-33 DH-40
2 boys from ICSI
Donor cycle Mar '11 - 3 recipients (2 x BFP (both with twins) 1 x BFN)

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Children: my fur baby shawnee and my beautiful daughter C born Dec 2010

Friday, June 29th 2007, 12:08pm

great news mrs smiff :)
TTC for 7 years (MFI and Immune problems)
6 ICSI's so far all BFN
Cycle with Immune treatment in Nottingham - :BFP:

Ellie's PG Diary

Friday, June 29th 2007, 1:00pm

Fabby news!

Susie x

Me 39+3 ok
DH 39 Azoospermia
3xDIUI all BFN

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Friday, June 29th 2007, 1:21pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Addy
Karen,

Well done....am so glad you liked Jon and his team. They are really really lovely and they? and I feel that they desperately want it to work for everybody.

Addy
xxxx

You're so right! They do give you the impression that they WANT you to be successful with the treatment. I was very impressed with how Jon went through everything with us, including how I got pregnant before, and how my pregnancies were. (He only found out about the insulin thing when I told him how big my previous babies were....he was shocked!)

Fingers crossed we both get BFP's from this wonderful clinic.
I have 4 lovely big kids

Jaid

Ace

Reg: Jul 19th 2006

Friday, June 29th 2007, 1:23pm

Wow, that all sounds good.

x
Jaid
Me 35, DH 41 -TTC/since Apr04
Natural BFP-Jun05/M/C @ 6 weeks-Jul05
Blocked Tubes - Mar06
1st IVF - '06' bfn / 2nd IVF '06'- bfn
8th Mar 07 - Laparoscopy / Endo found & cleared.
Tried Naturally - July 07 - BFP
Have a beautiful baby girl.

Reg: Apr 4th 2007

Friday, June 29th 2007, 1:54pm

Thats fantastic Mrs smiff....the more i hear about this clinic the more I'm tempted to go to Norway.
Me 28 DH 28.
DH=v.low sperm count, Me=endo. laparoscopy 10/1/08.
ES/ICSI starts soon :pray:

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Friday, June 29th 2007, 2:14pm

wow - that sounds brilliant and like they are really looking at your individual case rather than putting you on a treadmill. good for you!
think you may just have swayed me to try Norway if we go for IVF -just haev to wokr on DH now!!

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Friday, June 29th 2007, 5:13pm

I can't recommend the clinic enough. Even if the treatment doesn't work, I know they will have done their best, and I certainly wasn't left with that feeling after our last treatment in UK.

The only down side is that Norway is such an expensive country to visit, so you have to factor in a few expenses with the cost of treatment. The hotel isn't so bad, as they have an arrangememnt with the clinic and they give you a good discount. (£60 ish per night per couple inc breakfast and evening meal). Eating out is VERY expensive. DH and I racked up a £140 bill for a bog standard (but very nice) 2 course steak dinner with a couple of bottles of wine. Would have cost about £70 in the uk. We went to a cafe for a sandwich one lunch time, and for 2 ham rolls and 2 coffees it was around £15!! So you have to be a bit careful, but you can do it cheaply if you try. The other option of course is to say to hell with all that, and look at it as a holiday. That way, for less than the price of one ICSI treatment here, you get a good holiday AND treatment!

I am definately looking forward to going back, and if we aren't successful this time, I will use them again, for sure.
I have 4 lovely big kids

Reg: Feb 4th 2007

Friday, June 29th 2007, 6:22pm

Glad it went so well for you and i wish you lots of luck. happydance blowkiss

Me 28 DH 29
TTC 4 1/2 yrs
MC 2004 7wks MC 2005 11 wks
ICSI Dec 2006
Cancelled after EC:high risk OHSS
11 Frosties
Nat Fet March 07 BFN
7 Frosties :)
Med Fet May 07 BFP
VERY SHOCKING NAT BFP MAY 09

Reg: Jun 25th 2007

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 8:47am

This has been a 'breath of fresh air to read', thank you! Wishing you sooooooo much luck! I'll be checking back to keep up with your journey. What is the name of the clinic? I may well be needing the info in the future!

Me stuff (hope thats ok............)
I have PCO (no particular smptoms) and from results of DH's SA (don on May11th) we now have more hurdles to cross and have been advised that ICSI will be the way forward. His count was 28million but motility was only 22%. He is doing a 2nd SA today and we have 1st formal gynae appt at the end of July. In your experience what will the next steps be and how long ish is it usually from ISCI being recommended to starting? Also (total naievity here!) does everyone get a free shot? Is it now 2 embs max they return in the UK now?

Hope you don't mind me jumping in you just all seem like you have lots of experience and are a really nice, supportive bunch of ladies xx

TTC ; tx PCOS & MFI
ICSI #2 - BFP!! ITS BOY/GIRL TWINS!! Please stay with us

[/url]

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 9:20am

Quoted

Well here I am, back in the uk after a VERY successful consultation in Norway!

DH's SA is not as bad as has been made out either. It is variable, so there may be a chance that we will be able to use just straight forward IVF for our next treatment as opposed to ICSI. If the SA on the day is borderline, we may also be able to use half the eggs collected for ICSI, and half for IVF to see which fairs better. That is certainly not something I have heard of being done in the UK. We weren't given any choice before, it had to be one or the other and that had to be decided at the time of paying. The difference is only £100 in Norway, so it makes no odds fiinancially.

I had a split of my choosing for my treatment...13 follies 5 to ICSI 8 to IVF was agreed......5 eggs were immature so we went 5 to ICSI 3 to IVF. All fertilised tho 1 IVF with 2 sperm so that was rejected...it was the 2 IVF that made it through to blasto stage and were implanted, the ICSI were all lost on day 4. I could have changed my mind right down to just before EC. But the ARGC are noted for totally personalising their treatment to the individual and thats why they charge such a high price

Quoted

He reckons that the DR phase is the simple part, and if that doesn't work as it should, then the liklihood is that the whole treatment will fail, so he won't waste time and money on it. IF this happens, he will put me on a 'short, aggressive protocol', where I will stimulate alongside my natural cycle, and miss out the DR phase altogether. Hopefully this won't happen, but it is a contingency plan anyway.

I was on a flare/short protocol and was very pleased with the outcome.....given my age at the time (43) apparantly my reaction to the treatment according to the embryologist was comparable to a 33 year old..........I am so pleased I didnt have to down reg so dont worry if you do have to go to the short one...it makes the treatment go faster!!

Hon this all sound fantastic and Im so pleased you feel so comfortable with your clinic..it certainly sounds like they deal with you much more as an individual than some of the UK clinics....I will be keeping everything crossed for you

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "tinkerbell" (Jul 2nd 2007, 9:21am)

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 10:26am

Thanks so much Tinkerbell. It's good to know others have gone through pretty much the same and come out smiling!
I have 4 lovely big kids

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 10:39am

Quoted

Originally posted by Twinkle!
This has been a 'breath of fresh air to read', thank you! Wishing you sooooooo much luck! I'll be checking back to keep up with your journey. What is the name of the clinic? I may well be needing the info in the future!

I have PCO (no particular smptoms) and from results of DH's SA (don on May11th) we now have more hurdles to cross and have been advised that ICSI will be the way forward. His count was 28million but motility was only 22%. He is doing a 2nd SA today and we have 1st formal gynae appt at the end of July. In your experience what will the next steps be and how long ish is it usually from ISCI being recommended to starting? Also (total naievity here!) does everyone get a free shot? Is it now 2 embs max they return in the UK now?

Hope you don't mind me jumping in you just all seem like you have lots of experience and are a really nice, supportive bunch of ladies xx

Hi Twinkle, the answers to your questions are pretty much 'It Depends!' Your DH's SA doesn't sound all that bad, (compared to some on here), but for more info on that have a look at the threads from Sperm Scientist and Paul Entwistle on the General Fertility section. They are both specialists in the field and will answer and questions you may have about it all.

With regard to your fertility treatment, are you going to a fertility clinic for your gynae appointment at the end of July? (also called an assisted conception unit). If so, then it all depends on the clinics waiting lists as to how soon you start treatment. If not, then you will probably be referred to a fertility clinic and may have to wait for an appointment. Also it depends on whether you are going private or having NHS treatment. Not everyone can get NHS treatment. It depends which area you live in and the guidelines set by the PCT for that area. NHS waiting lists are notoriously long I'm afraid and you may find yourself waiting up to 2 years for treatment. Going private is a way to avoid this, but even then, some cliinics may have a wait of around 6 months. (Some have no waiting lists at all, so it really does depend on where you live). Going private means paying often large sums of money for your treatment. ICSI treatment is around £4000 per go and IVF is around £3000 (again, this varies from area to area).

One way to avoid queues and huge costs is to shop around abroad for treatment, as I have done, but this isn't to everyone's taste. Not everyone would feel comfortable doing this. You can get treatment considerably cheaper abroad though, and if money is a real concern then this is an option.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, cos there is always someone on here who know's the answer!

Good luck!
I have 4 lovely big kids

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Monday, July 2nd 2007, 10:40am

Quoted

Quoted

Hi Twinkle, the answers to your questions are pretty much 'It Depends!' Your DH's SA doesn't sound all that bad, (compared to some on here), but for more info on that have a look at the threads from Sperm Scientist and Paul Entwistle on the General Fertility section. They are both specialists in the field and will answer and questions you may have about it all.

The clinic I am using is the Hausken Clinic in Haugesund Norway. (Also called Scanhealth).

With regard to your fertility treatment, are you going to a fertility clinic for your gynae appointment at the end of July? (also called an assisted conception unit). If so, then it all depends on the clinics waiting lists as to how soon you start treatment. If not, then you will probably be referred to a fertility clinic and may have to wait for an appointment. Also it depends on whether you are going private or having NHS treatment. Not everyone can get NHS treatment. It depends which area you live in and the guidelines set by the PCT for that area. NHS waiting lists are notoriously long I'm afraid and you may find yourself waiting up to 2 years for treatment. Going private is a way to avoid this, but even then, some cliinics may have a wait of around 6 months. (Some have no waiting lists at all, so it really does depend on where you live). Going private means paying often large sums of money for your treatment. ICSI treatment is around £4000 per go and IVF is around £3000 (again, this varies from area to area).

One way to avoid queues and huge costs is to shop around abroad for treatment, as I have done, but this isn't to everyone's taste. Not everyone would feel comfortable doing this. You can get treatment considerably cheaper abroad though, and if money is a real concern then this is an option.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have, cos there is always someone on here who know's the answer!

Good luck!
I have 4 lovely big kids

Tuesday, July 3rd 2007, 8:02pm

Thanks Mrs Smiff. Yes, it is a fertility clinic, its the 'centre for life' in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I'll try and find out waiting lists and if we are elligible for a free shot, any ideas where to start my hunt for this info?

If the list is really long I think we would def try elsewhere and if its cheaper we would go abroad if its a good, reputable clinic. My SIL lives in Cyprus so we may look into options over there as we could combine treatment with hols, no accomodation costs etc. What was your clinic called

GL x

TTC ; tx PCOS & MFI

[/url]

melusine

• "melusine" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 27th 2007

Location: Counting down to our wedding at the end of this month!!

Tuesday, July 3rd 2007, 8:53pm

Mrs Smiff, Sorry for the thread hijack, but why are you going abroad for treatment? We live nr London and are not at all happy with our clinic. Is treatment that much better abroad? Being a total novice at this I really have no idea what constitutes a good clinic. We chose ours just because a mate had been there. Have all your treatments so far been over here? We would travel anywhere in Europe for a decent clinic. Where was you before you decided to go abroad?

Sorry for the inquisition.

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Tuesday, July 3rd 2007, 10:19pm

Hi Melusine, We decided to go abroad primarily to avoid the tedious wait at the clinic nearest to us. I have heard good things about this clinic, but everything was taking so long....getting tests done which had only been done a few months before etc etc. Also our last clinic was awful. We moved house after the treatment so luckily didn't even have to think about not using them again. The treatment was very impersonal. Nobody knew who I was from one week to the next. Whenever I phoned up for info, I was given the brush off. I was left to down regulate for 9 weeks after being told it would only take 2. Basically there was a fundamental lack of information and a lack of interest in us as people, not just patients. We weren't even given a follow up appointment after our failed ICSI and were given no reasons as o why it went so badly wrong right from the start. If I had received care like that from any other private clinic which I had paid over £4000 for, I would have been raising hell. But because I was made to feel like they were doing me this great big favour and I was feeling so emotional anyway, I just kept it all in.

I decided to use the clinic in Norway (Hausken Clinic, Scanhealth) as when I emailed them and asked for info, the consultant emailed me back personally, and then called me to discuss our needs. He was very polite, straight to the point, caring and considerate, qualities which had not been forthcoming over here. At our first consultation (which is free) he looked through all our notes and talked in length about our treatment, and is convinced my eggs were collected too soon. I had a collection on day 11 and given that I have a regular 28 day cycle, where I ovulate and then have AF 14 days later on the dot, the consultant said he would wait until day 14 of stimms to do EC, when my body would have been releasing an egg anyway. The cost is also much cheaper, although I admit, we are probably going to end up spending nearly the same as a treatment cycle over here as we are not cutting any corners and having a bit of a jolly while we are there, but it can be done for a hell of a lot less. I would have paid more though to get the fantastic service. There are also no waiting lists, which was my main priority, and with a success rate of 50% for UK patients, it was a bit of a no brainer to be honest.
I have 4 lovely big kids

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Tuesday, July 3rd 2007, 10:20pm

Quoted

Thanks Mrs Smiff. Yes, it is a fertility clinic, its the 'centre for life' in Newcastle Upon Tyne. I'll try and find out waiting lists and if we are elligible for a free shot, any ideas where to start my hunt for this info?

If the list is really long I think we would def try elsewhere and if its cheaper we would go abroad if its a good, reputable clinic. My SIL lives in Cyprus so we may look into options over there as we could combine treatment with hols, no accomodation costs etc. What was your clinic called

GL x

Hi Twinkle,

Your best bet to get answers would be the fertility clinic itself. They should be happy to give you all the info you need. If not, then personally I would go elsewhere. Also your GP should be able to give you info on possible funding and waiting lists etc.
I have 4 lovely big kids

melusine

• "melusine" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 27th 2007

Location: Counting down to our wedding at the end of this month!!

Wednesday, July 4th 2007, 1:47pm

Thank you for your reply mrs smiff. It does indeed sound good, and I will have a look at the web site. Good luck with it all, and like many others I shall be popping in to keep up on your progress.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "melusine" (Jul 4th 2007, 1:49pm)

Wednesday, July 4th 2007, 7:13pm

Hi Mrs Smiff

The costs on the Scanhealth site exclude the costs of meds. Did u manage to get them prescribed over here? or did you pay over there? If so do u mind me asking approx what sort of costs are involved for them? Did they also insists on extra lap etc if you had already had them done?

Thanks!

TTC ; tx PCOS & MFI

[/url]

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Wednesday, July 4th 2007, 8:02pm

Hi Twinkle, We have paid about £600 for all the meds we need. The consultant wrote us a prescription, and the local chemist over there has all the drugs in stock. I think they may be marginally cheaper than over here, or around the same price. I don't think they are any more expensive that's for sure. My last lot of drugs from the UK was around @£600 too.

If you have already had tests done, they will be happy with that. Try and get a copy of the results if you can. They will go through all your history with you, and work out a plan of action to suit you and your situation. It's all done on a very individual basis.
I have 4 lovely big kids

dreamy

Reg: Jul 10th 2007

Tuesday, July 10th 2007, 9:58pm

good luck with everythin, sooo good to hear this. Me and hubby just reading your thread and getting very excited. Will be looking into this clinic hoping to do icsi.
;)

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Wednesday, July 11th 2007, 10:00am

Hi Dreamy, It's good to hear someone is getting some benefit from the info in my thread! You won't be disappointed with this clinic if you decide to go ahead. Remember they are closed all through July though so you may not get a reply to emails and stuff for a while. They will be more than happy to have a chat with you about your situation when you call them. The consultant will give you a call himself which is great cos you can get the info you need straight from the horses mouth so to speak. He speaks really good English too so you don't have to worry about that.

Let us know what you decide and how you get on!
I have 4 lovely big kids

dreamy

Reg: Jul 10th 2007

Wednesday, July 11th 2007, 9:47pm

Funnily enough emailed them yesterday, so will wait till August grrr, cant wait. Last night guess what i dreamt about...... but its all very exciting love reading items posted on this site soo many useful tips to kick my arse and get me going again So hard when youve 90% given up having convinced yourself that your too old its not gonna happen its meant to me rah rah rah... Well im gonna give it one last shot and see what happens :pray:

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Wednesday, July 11th 2007, 10:17pm

Dreamy, they might email you before then, as the nurses are always contactable for the people who are going to be undergoing treatment in August, or who have just had treatment. But if not, don't think that they have overlooked you! it's just that the lucky buggers get the whole of July off!

I know what you mean about getting excited and dreaming of it. I'm the same. I am feeling very upbeat about it all at the moment. Can't wait to get going.
I have 4 lovely big kids

May

Reg: Jun 24th 2007

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 8:09pm

ICSI in Norway

Hi Girls

I've just finished my first ICSI cycle (NHS) and sadly got a BFN. We are now busy looking for places for our 2nd attempt (Private, as only entilted to one NHS cycle).

We are considering UCH which looks good but expensive. However, after reading this thread we are seriously considering the Scan-Health Clinic in Norway. We were just wondering if anyone else who has been there could tell us more about the amount of time you spend there, how much time you needed to take of work, total cost etc and where you had your scans (UK or Norway).

It seems so much cheaper than the UK but does it really work out cheaper considering flights/accomadation, more time of work?, private scans etc.

If anyone can enlighten us, we would be very grateful

love May & M

kar1

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 8:18pm

sorry about yourbfn
mrs smiff had tx in Norway

im sure she will be online sometimes soon
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 10:06pm

Hi May, we had our treatment at Scanhealth, but to be honest we haven't really saved money by going there. I worked out that it has cost about £4000, plus my DH lost a good weeks wages as he is self employed and had to take a week off to go out there.

The breakdown of costs is as follows:

ICSI treatment £1700
Drugs £1000
Flights £400
Accommodation £750
Car hire £400

This is a rough guide, but that is about what it all cost, plus on top of that there was money spent on food and fuel for the car. The car hire was imperitive as it is such a boring place to visit unless you can get around.

I wouldn't rule the clinic out entirely, but I wouldn't use them again. There were no scans provided until day 10 of stimms, which in hindsight, I would probably have paid for some scans to be done over here, cos maybe they would have increased my stimms, I don't know. It would have been worth it just for the peace of mind I think.

Our next course of ICSI in January is looking to be cheaper than this, so I wouldn't use Scanhealth on the basis that you will save money, because you won't. I had to be in Norway for 10 days for the treatment. We could have flown back a few hours after ET but to me, this would have been a bit of a risk. I would rather be in a position where I could relax straight after ET, and that is why we had to wait to fly back. The flights to and from Norway are only on a Tues Thur and Sun so if you miss one day, you have to wait a few more days.

If you want to look for treatment in other places abroad, there is one in Naples in Italy run by a British doctor called Dr Brian Dale. He is a really nice guy and I have had emails from him. They are opeing a clinic in London this month, so you can have the start of your treatment after a consultation over here, and just fly to Naples for a few days for the actual IVF or ICSI part of it, which would reduce the costs considerably. The cost is similar to Scanhealth at about £1700 for ICSI and a bit cheaper for IVF.

I hope this is of some help to you.
I have 4 lovely big kids

May

Reg: Jun 24th 2007

Saturday, October 20th 2007, 11:11pm

Thanks for your reply Mrs Smiff, it has been really helpful.

After discussing with DH this evening, we are probably swaying towards ACU at UCHL. My only real concern with UCHL is the cost, we have their information pack with the cost list and they are about £700-£1000 more than other clinics outside London. We don't mind paying this if there is a better chance of success. However, some of the threads on UCH talk of extra blood tests, scans etc and we are concerned that these will really add up.

Does anyone else know if the extra cost of going to UCH (ie £700-£1000) includes these extra tests etc or would this be more on top?

Love May

Reg: Sep 20th 2007

Sunday, October 21st 2007, 9:32am

Hi Mrs Smiff - :hi:
I too am having ICSI in scandinavia - in Denmark actually. I decided to do this because it is cheaper than the UK and I am saving money (but I live overseas so I would have to pay for flights anyway).
Anyway, I see you are off to Egypt shortly - which is where I live actually. I just wanted to let you know that you can get the ICSI/IVF drugs in Egypt much cheaper than in the UK. You don't need a prescription. So I thought I'd just let you know. The main problem though is keeping them at the right temperature (I had to use icepacks and a cool bag when I flew from Egypt to Denmark).

Have a great holiday and best of luck
Me 39, DH 36
Clomid 9 cycles, Lap & Dye 2006, Metformin 4 cycles, ICSI Oct 2007, IVF May and September 2010, FET November 2010, IVF short protocol March 2011 - all BFN
TTC since 2005

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE