You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "pixiewish" started this thread

Reg: Apr 4th 2007

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 6:47pm

?worth waiting for urologist

Hi all

as some of you know we found out at the end of April that we definately have a male factor fertility problem.

DH has a history of bilateral undescended testes so we thought there may be a problem. we TTC naturally for 8 months before going to the GP to get tested.

His results came back - scanty spermatozoa seen, too few to count, some motile, too few for accurate assessment.

The GP referred us to a urologist, but its now 4 weeks later and we've heard nothing. I've looked at the hospital website and it says the wait for an appointment can be up to 18 weeks.

I'm just wondering if its worth waiting this long, or should we concentrate on what our treatment options are (IVF/ICSI) and continue to look into going private?

from what i've read online unless his low count is due to a blockage caused by his surgery there is nothing they can do anyway, and that is more likely that it is just due to irreversible damage caused when the testes were undescended before the op.

any advice appreciated. am going crazy here!!
Me 28 DH 28.
DH=v.low sperm count, Me=endo. laparoscopy 10/1/08.
ES/ICSI starts soon :pray:

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "pixiewish" (May 29th 2007, 6:49pm)

• "londonchic" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 18th 2005

Tuesday, May 29th 2007, 9:26pm

Hi Pixie,

I think if youre going to go private anyway, you may as well just go ahead but bear in mind you will have to pay for any consultations/treatment with a private urologist before you start treatment so that they can determine what kind of treatment you will need (my guess is icsi)
As for a blockage- thats what we thought as my partner also has an undescended testicle that was removed. Turns out he was born without any tubes to carry the sperm but was able to ave it surgically removed from his testicle. You will need to see the urologist to determine if that is what he needs.
Have you looked into how long it would to see a private consultant?

Wednesday, May 30th 2007, 7:59am

Haven't looked into seeing a private urologist as have no idea how to go about doing that.

have spoken to a fertility clinic and they said we can have an initial appointment within a couple of weeks of phoning them to book it.

I don't think we'll need SSR as there are definately some sperm there so hopefully they should be able to use those.
Me 28 DH 28.

lulu27

• "lulu27" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 11th 2006

Wednesday, May 30th 2007, 8:40am

We never even got reffered to urologist so maybe they think something can be done for you, although being a nurse I told my gp to refer me to fertility consultant and he did it. xx

Wednesday, May 30th 2007, 5:57pm

I don't think its that my GP thinks that something can be done, I think he just sees that as automatically the next step, he doesn't seem too clued up on fertility treatment.

we've decided to make a private appointment at a fertility clinic now and see what they say....I'm sure if they think we should wait for the urologist they will say, and an initial appointment doesn't cost that much.
Me 28 DH 28.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE