You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Glitzy" started this thread

Reg: Oct 4th 2005

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Wednesday, October 5th 2005, 5:51pm

GONAL-F QUESTIONS

Hello,

After 93 days I am finally down regged - yeahhhh!! I have been given Gonal F for stimms a dose of 150 per night. I was just wondering if that is a bit of a low dose as many others seemed to be on a lot higher dose. I am just worried that as I failed to resond to the dr drugs that I should be on a high dose of stimms. Am I barking up the wrong tree??

Any advice would be appreciated.

Rufus

Star

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: One son, aged 8, daughter 1

Wednesday, October 5th 2005, 6:36pm

Hi hazell, I think my dose was something like 75 - 100 at the start - whatever 2 clicks were. Then it was three clicks but never any more than that. Dont' know if that's any help but I'm sure they know what's best fro you. Hope all goes well for you, Love Lesa oxxo :D

Children: Max born March 07 - thanks to frozen embryo transfer, our little miracle

Wednesday, October 5th 2005, 6:38pm

Thanks Lesa - some of the other girls have said much the same so i feel ok about it now. Hxx

secrets

Thursday, October 6th 2005, 9:44am

Hazell

You will be put on the lowest possible dose to start, this is too make sure you dont over respond, if the dose needs adjusting the clinc will do so.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Thursday, October 6th 2005, 10:20am

Hazel

Have just started IUI treatment and I'm on 75mg to start with. Have another scan tomorrow and if it's not starting to work I'll be on a higher dosage.

I think it's the norm to start on 75, as long as you're having regular checks to make sure you're not being over-stimmed

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Thursday, October 6th 2005, 10:25am

Gonal-F and AF

Hi all

My cycle has changed once again since coming off Clomid. I've been on my AF for 8 days now instead of the original 5. I've started my IUI treatment and have been injecting since 4th Oct.

Do you think my AF with alter the way the drugs work? I don't want to have any problems with my extended AF effecting anything at this early stage.

Any advice ladies? [zx002]

• "Tabithasecret" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Thursday, October 6th 2005, 2:26pm

Hi Jenny, I wouldn't have thought having an extended AF could affect the drugs doing their job. But if you're concerned mention it at the next scan you have.

Thursday, October 6th 2005, 2:29pm

Hi Hazel
very pleased for you that you've finally downregged.

tons of luck for this cycle

Lisa
x

Thursday, October 6th 2005, 8:42pm

Thanks Secrets/Jenny/Tabitha - feel better about it now. It just seemed that everyone else was on 275 or something like that. Just a little worried that I dont respond like with the dr drugs. Atleast its only a week until the scan!!

Thursday, October 6th 2005, 10:01pm

H I started on 225, that was the lowest that the Nuffield use for women our age. I did not respond and as you know I had to abandon and start again with 375.

They never checked my FSH level before we started treatment and I think that if they had of it may have shown them that they needed to put me on a higher dose.

Like the girls have said, its a bit dodgy to put people on higher doses as some women our age can get OHSS on a lower dose than what I ended up on. They have to start low as they dont like OHSS in some cases if you get that, then you cant have ET done at that time, you have to have embies frozen and have them put in at a later date which can be months until your body has calmed down.

Better to be safe than sorry. The only pain is that if like me it doesnt work, you have to pay for drugs again,which was a big shock but hey, look what I have now x x x

Please dont worry x

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Friday, October 7th 2005, 11:03am

Nurse said the AF (or continous bleeding!) won't affect the injections. She said once my system has got used to having the Gonal-f in it it will regulate me again. [zx017]

BIG FINGERS crossed!

Flossy

Saturday, October 8th 2005, 10:00am

Although I haven't got there yet, there are going to start me on 150.

Saturday, October 8th 2005, 2:11pm

Thanks Vicki/Flossy - I am started now so it is all feeling very very real all of a sudden. I cried for about 20mins after the first jag - it was just relief I think!!!

Saturday, October 8th 2005, 5:49pm

Have everything crossed for you Jen x

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Sunday, October 9th 2005, 6:03pm

hazell
i was told that they normally start with 150 iu of gonal F and they increase and decrease it as people respond to the drug.

i started at 150 and over responded to the drug and the second cycle was lower to 75. and it agree with me.

wishing you all the best with the injection.

victoria

Flossy

Monday, October 10th 2005, 7:53am

Just for info, I'm going to be using Menagon. That means I can't use a pen, have to have the injection in my bum - lucky husband [zx057]

Monday, October 10th 2005, 6:55pm

Thanks for that Victoria - I appreciate it xxx

Flossy - your hubby is going to love that lol! Why cant it go in your tum?? I have done the first couple myself - am very much looking forward to the end of injections - wehey!!!!!!!!! Hope it goes well!!!

Flossy

Tuesday, October 11th 2005, 12:19pm

Menagon has to be given intramuscular. They said best place is in the bum 2nd choice is on the lower half of your thigh. As I'm NHS funded they go for the cheaper option is drugs, if it was the usual Menapur?? then is could just be in the top of the leg as with my DR drugs.

Oh what fun!

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, October 11th 2005, 2:08pm

I wonder why I started on 75mg and not 150....

Flossy

Tuesday, October 11th 2005, 2:33pm

I don't know Jenny. It might be to do with you're having IUI rather than IVF/ICSI. You can't get too stimulated as you only want approx 2 follies whereas I need all I can get -without being silly of course :)) Someone else will probably know a lot more than I do and can help you.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, October 11th 2005, 2:37pm

Ah - that'll explain it then, thanks, not used to all these phrases yet! [zx061]

Flossy

Tuesday, October 11th 2005, 2:40pm

Neither do I, it's all so confusing! [zx065]

Tuesday, October 11th 2005, 9:44pm

Blame the hormone drugs I do lol xxxx

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 7:47am

Gonal-F - dosages

Are there different type of pens for each treatment? I'm currently on the blue pens (450 IU/0.75mg) and wondered if there was a lower or even higher dosage?

I was given 75 and 100 mg and was over-stimmed and worried this will happen again next cycle.

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 8:19am

Hi Jenny,

They administer Gonal - F in multiples of 75iu. You get the pens in a range of amounts, each amount is a diferent colour, but all the pens I belive contain the same strength drug, all that is different is the amount you should inject. I am having ICSI so they want me to produce many large follicles, but am I right in saying that for IUI they only want you to produce one or two?
For this cycle I am on now my dosage for gonal-F is 300iu, so if I have a 900iu pen (these are maroon in colour) I will get three days of jabs out of it. Jenny have they reduced your dosage for your next IUI? I think the minimum dose you can have is 75iu.

Hope this helps. x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Grippychicken" (Oct 16th 2005, 8:20am)

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 10:08am

Dunno about what they will do next round - I think they will have to initially reduce then maybe increase it nearer the time.

For IUI you have to produce 2 good sized follicles of no less than 1.7cm. I produced over 5 in total, with 2 being 1.7 and over so to avoid the risk of a multiple pregnancy it had to be abandoned.

Children: Twin Girls

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 11:00am

RE: Gonal-F - dosages

Hi Jenny,

I was taking a very high dose of Gonal-F for our 2nd IVF, at the later stages I was having 450iu x2 per day! I didn't use the pens, found them to painful so used needles, I did have OHSS mild to moderate but I did produce 20 eggs! they wanted to take a risk & it worked.

:D

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 11:36am

Thanks guys.

Sorry Lisa I'm on the needles - seem to be getting a reactive stinging sensation in my 'injection' leg now - I was only injecting for about a week!

Not sure what dosage they will give me as they don't want to over-stim me

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 11:38am

I had two lots of ICSI, no IUI.

I didnt take the pen because they didnt do it at my clinic.

For round 1 I was on 225iu but after 10 days was not responding well, so they upped it to 300, and I over-responded - many poor quality crap fragile eggs, and medium OHSS.

For round 2 they kept me on 225 but just kept going with it longer. Lots of eggs (>30) but again poor quality and fragile, and only 3 fertilised.

If I had gone for round 3 there were two trains of thought
(1) reduce my down-regging or stop it completely
(2) try on 150

Who knows now? By the time I might need IVF/ICSI if we go for a 2nd child I'll be a few years older so they might have to up the dosage.

"They" normally guess the dosage based on age, but it is all guesswork and how you respond the first time. That's why first-timers are relatively rare successes.

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 2:22pm

I just finished stimms last night with the gonal -f pen. I was on 150mm a night and a 2 pens - the only difference in the pen is the amount of drugs in them. If you only need 2 more jags they dont want to give yu a pen with 5 jags in it - hope that makes sense. I had a day 8 scan and had 6 good follies - 2 small ones. I am in for EC on Tuesday. If you are worried then call your clinic and ask them to go through it with you.

xx

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Sunday, October 16th 2005, 3:00pm

If you had 6 follies how many were good ones, did they still do the insem? I was told that as I had 2 good ones but about 3 that were 1.4 and 1.5 and lots of small ones they couldn't do the insem.

This is for IUI by the way.

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "TheZooKeeper" (Oct 16th 2005, 3:01pm)

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Monday, October 17th 2005, 1:12pm

Gonal-F - Over stimming

Hi all

After my horrendous visit to the hosp on sat I was told I was over-stimmed. I had too many follicles for them to do the insem.

Since then I've had some discomfort in my left and right side and the nurse said this would happen and I need to take it easy.

Also in my left thigh where I've been doing the injections, is really prickly and when I've been relaxing for a bit ends up a bit tender.

Has anyone else had this?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "TheZooKeeper" (Oct 17th 2005, 2:06pm)

Monday, October 17th 2005, 6:01pm

Hi Jenny,

I have EC tomorrow and I do have a pain in my right hand side. That is where I had a follie of 18mm on Friday so I am only presuming it has grown more - my whole stomach feels tender. Good luck to you sweetheart xx

Monday, October 17th 2005, 7:40pm

So what happens now Jenny?

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, October 18th 2005, 1:55pm

That's how I am Hazell - off work too with tender stomach and sore left and right bits.

I just have to wait until Thursday for them to have a look to see how things are....

Tuesday, October 18th 2005, 4:37pm

Oh jenny I have everything crossed for you hun!! Had EC today and my tummy feels awful tonight!! Still feel like the follies are there as big as ever!!

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Tuesday, October 18th 2005, 6:32pm

What's an EC? Sorry for being thick!

I've rested all through today and tonight feel horrible. My lower ab feels as though I've just had another laporoscopy and is really tender. I was more or less ok this morning but since I've rested I'm worse!

I'm going to wait until Thurs to see the nurse rather than try and book in tomorrow.

Wednesday, October 19th 2005, 9:57pm

Sorry hun you are not thick!! EC is egg collection - I got 4 - 1 survived and its being put back in my tum tommorow!!

I hope you get on ok at the nurse - let us know how you get on

Hx

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Thursday, October 20th 2005, 2:42pm

Nurse was ever so good, told me to rest and do nothing! Great but I get so bored! I'm not a book reader and if I see a mil of dust anywhere I'm spring cleaning the whole house!

Thursday, October 20th 2005, 4:29pm

Jenny you sound like me hun, try your hardest to relax though - get a few good dvd's and let dh spoil you. I still have the sore bit on my right hand side but had my embryo transfer today which included a scan which showed no problems. I geuss the aches and pains are just part of ivf & iui!! Hope you can relax a little - you deserve to xxxx

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Thursday, October 20th 2005, 4:46pm

Thanks Hazel.

I was very naughty today and did a bit a vaccing. Hope the dog doesn't snitch on me! I couldn't help it. Now back to sitting down and can't stop eating choc!

Friday, October 21st 2005, 7:24pm

Ohh naughty girl, relaxxxxxxxxxxx!!! Have a cadburys caramel lol!!!

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Saturday, October 22nd 2005, 1:16pm

My dh brought me a huuuuuuuge bar of diary milk on wednesday, it's going down far too well. Then I'll be moaning my waistline is growing (and not for the right reasons)!!!!!!!!!

Saturday, October 22nd 2005, 1:59pm

He bought in in wednesday and you still have some left????????????? It would have been gone by wed night if it was me!!

Katy H

Reg: May 22nd 2006

Monday, August 7th 2006, 9:04am

Refrigerating Gonal-F: advice required

I know from my previous cycle that Gonal-F has to be kept refrigerated, but I was wondering how long it could be safely kept at normal room temperature.

The reason I ask is that the start of our second cycle has come up much more quickly than we expected (first consultation last week, start next week!). I am supposed to be going to Belgium for 3 days and don't know whether I should cancel the trip. I could do an injection before travelling on the first day, and I guess keeping the drugs in a cool bag would last until the second day, but I have my doubts that a hotel would want to look after my drugs in their kitchens etc.

I'll try to contact my clinic but in the meantime I thought someone here would know the answer (or have a box in their fridge at home they could check for me).

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, August 7th 2006, 6:16pm

Hi, Katy
I never kept Gonal F in the fridge and it still worked just fine despite hot SA summer weather. The only drug I was told to refridgerate is the HCG trigger shot.

Monday, August 7th 2006, 7:26pm

Hi Katy

I've looked at a few sites, and they say either that Gonal-F should be refrigerated... If it can't be, then it can be stored at room temp (and away from direct light) for up to 3 months

or: that it doesn't need to be refrigerated at all ?(

I would guess the correct storage would be due to the amount, whether it's in a vial or a make up pen. If your clinic have said to refrigerate it, then take the couple of vials in your cool bag for as long s you can.

I went to Nottingham 1 year when I was on Puregon (fridged) and kept them for a week in a cool bag. I think as long is the drug doesn't get hot then you'll be ok

Reg: Sep 26th 2005

Children: 6 yr old gorgeous girl, single mum now

Monday, August 7th 2006, 10:20pm

hi katy, it doesn't need to be "ice cold" so buy one of those kiddie lunch cooler boxes, and just update it with a cold soft drink every 12 hours- just so long as it doesn't get hot! (or i am sure you will come across shops with frozen peas etc etc- wrap in a tea towel they will last longer.

have fun in belgium!!!

Katy H

Reg: May 22nd 2006

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 8:49am

Thanks for your advice everyone.

I think I may still have to miss the trip as being on short protocol I may need to have frequent scans/blood tests. I'll check it all out properly when I go to the clinic at the end of this week.

lulu27

• "lulu27" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Mar 11th 2006

Tuesday, August 8th 2006, 9:41am

I was on Gonal F and they told me to never put it in the fridge, it was fine at room temp, even though the leaflet that came with it did say you could refridgerate!!!! They like to confuse us xxx

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE