You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 9 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TraceyR

• "TraceyR" started this thread

Reg: Jan 11th 2007

Saturday, April 28th 2007, 8:37am

Is this a bad result?

DH has had his first semen analysis and got the results from the GP over the phone. He didn't give the exact numbers etc, but said count, motility and the number of forward swimmers were good. However, the perecentage of normal sperm was only 7%. The GP told him that 15% is the average normal sperm and as DH is 45 his result is nothing to worry about at his age as the rest of the test was good and it only takes one to fertilise the egg. We're not convinced about that though - 7% seems very low, and some info I've read would certainly put it into the subfertile range. Does anybody know whether wearing looser underwear and giving up alchohol affects the number of normal sperm if other factors are OK?

Eeyore

TECHNICAL ADMIN

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

What's Up?
Manners are appreciated
and free to use

Saturday, April 28th 2007, 8:49am

Hi Tracey

I can't advise on the numbers I am afraid, I am sure one of the other girls will be around later to offer some help.

There is a link here which gives tips on how to improve sperm, hope it helps

Sperm Quality / Quantity - Some Tips

Have we supported you? Can you support us?

CLICK HERE FOR FERTILITYZONE SUPPORT & MEMBERSHIP

My journey has now ended. 6 babies in Heaven.

'It'll be all right in the end - if it isn't all right yet then it isn't the end!'

• "victoria82" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Oct 5th 2005

Saturday, April 28th 2007, 9:39am

taking zinc tablet is good, reduce how much you drink, not wearing too tight underwear and not bathing in a too high temperature are told to help improve sperm quality

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Saturday, April 28th 2007, 10:45am

My husband had low normal sperm and we did a lot of work to raise his sperm quality. He wasn't a big drinker but he cut out alcohol took selenium ace, zinc, DHA fish oils, Cool Oil, stopped using saunas and he doesn't wear underwear (but if your dh wears tight pants definitely get rid of them). His normal count imrpoved slightly but he then stopped going to the gym for 6 weeks prior to IVF and had three acupuncture sessions and on the day his normal count was so good they suggested he'd make a great sperm donor! I posted exact figures for his sperm in the sperm quality thread I think - certainly in one of the male factor threads anyway - I'm moving and have packed away our ibf folder so don't have the figures to hand now but the improvement after acupuncture and stopping the gym was huge.

I don't know if your dh smokes but to improve sperm quality he should stop smoking too. It is definitely possible to improve sperm with diet and lifestyle changes so go for it. Wishing you lots of luck.
MC 1997, Ectopic 2006, Tubal infertility, 1st IVF :BFP: [zx098]

TraceyR

• "TraceyR" started this thread

Reg: Jan 11th 2007

Sunday, April 29th 2007, 11:57pm

Thanks for the tips. I looked at your results Emilia - quite amazing. My husband doesn't smoke but has decided to cut down a lot more on alcohol and change his underwear habits! Was already taking some supplements, but acupuncture seems worth looking into. Not at all convinced GP knows what he's talking about, so I'm gonna see about getting referred on somewhere. I think we've jumped through all the necessary hoops of having certain tests that are necessary before referrals will be accepted!

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 9 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE