You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 69 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Saturday, December 31st 2005, 5:08pm

** Agnus Castus Questions **

I see there have been one or 2 threads about this but wanted to clarify things.

Just been on Marilyn Glenvilles website and thought taking A. C. sounded like a perfect idea. But then she says it shouldn't be taken whilst on fertility drugs/treatment.

Does anyone know any better?

Agnus Castus (Vitex or Chaste tree berry)

This is the herb of choice for helping to restore hormone imbalance and increasing fertility. In one study 48 women diagnosed with infertility took agnus castus daily for three months, 7 of them became pregnant during that time and 25 of them regained normal progesterone levels.

Agnus castus is particularly helpful for those women who have a luteal phase defect (shortened second half to the cycle) or those with high prolactin levels, because it stimulates the proper functioning of the pituitary gland which controls the hormones.

Agnus castus works to restore hormonal balance and can be used where there are hormone deficits as well as excesses it:

Regulates periods
Restarts periods which have stopped
Helps with heavy bleeding
Increases the ratio of progesterone to oestrogen by balancing excess oestrogen.
Note:
Don't take any herbs while you are using drug treatments or going through assisted conception (such as IVF), unless prescribed by a qualified practitioner

• "RealityGap" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 3rd 2005

Children: DS1 - born 12/02 DD - born 6/04 and DS2 born 10/06

Saturday, December 31st 2005, 6:10pm

Jenny anything I have ever read about AC states dont take along side any treatment, I have a cupboard full of it (holland and barret were doing it cheap in one of their sales) but havent tried it yet as am still on clomid

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Sunday, January 1st 2006, 2:06am

hmmmm

this one always fascinates me.

after my 2nd ICSI m/c-BFN we decided to take a break from treatment for a while (thinking 6 months+) as we had found the trauma really difficult to deal with and 6+ months of continuous treatment, and almost a year of investigations we had just about had enough!

I asked my cons if I could should take herbal supplements and he said as long as you are not actively taking hormome fertility treatments (eg clomid, IVF/ICSI drugs etc) then it should be fine.

So I took multi-vitamins, 1000mg of Vit C, St John's wort and Agnus Castus. I also measured my temperature daily. I went on a wonderful two week holiday to Bali where we spent as much on that holiday as an ICSI treatment privately would have cost. I did everything you are told not to do when ttc - went scuba diving, drank alcohol, coffee, went to the gym, had massages, hot baths, saunas, long haul flights, did I mention alcohol ;) ?!

But - oh my! It was worth every penny! I ovulated, and conceived! For the first time in 6+ years!

Was it the herbs? the Vit C? the multi-vits? the holiday? the massive bleeding from the last round clearing out my bits? the artificial treatment hormones kick starting my system?

Who knows?

TheZooKeeper

Unregistered

Sunday, January 1st 2006, 1:54pm

Blimey, you were lucky then sunshine - I think I might ask my nurse next time I go for the treatment. DH will ask his Doc what he would be allowed to take as he's on tablets for other things.

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Monday, January 2nd 2006, 1:46am

Jenny - yes, bloody lucky cos my right tube is stuffed due to surgery and my left was blocked. So I have absolutely no idea how that suddenly decided to sort itself out.

One thing that did surprise me was taking my temperature and finding out when ovulation day was - prior to taking agnus castus I always got ovulation pains around day 19/20 of a 26-28 day cycle.

My chart showed that ovulation on agnus castus was day 12 of my cycle.

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 69 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE