You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Andrea" started this thread

Reg: Feb 23rd 2007

Children: 1 Gorgeous little boy

Tuesday, March 27th 2007, 4:37pm

Could be a Stupid question ..but.....

Hi ...

May be a silly question but one i have been wondering about?!!?! so i thought i'd ask anyway :-)

If it is just Male factor fertility problems ( i am all ok) is there an increased chance of ICSI/IVF working????

sorry, its something i keep wondering ?(

thanks
Andrea xx

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Tuesday, March 27th 2007, 5:05pm

RE: Could be a Stupid question ..but.....

I can't help you with this Andrea but I just thought it was a really good question so wanted to bump it up so everyone sees it.

For about a year of our ttc journey we thought our problems were all down to male factor as my husband had a varicocele causing lots of abnormal sperm. I had all the usual tests including an HSG and was told I was normal - no problems at all. I then had an ectopic and they discovered that in fact it was me stopping us getting pregnant - my tubes were in a very bad state. I am now pregnant through our first IVF thankfully.

We were told we stood a good chance with IVF because it was my tubes that were at fault and we were bypassing them - my uterus and ability to get pregnant were fine and it worked for us.

Logic would say that if they are able to solve the male factor problem and create healthy embryos then once they put them back in someone with no problems they should stand an excellent chance perhaps higher than someone with unexplained infertility and certainly a higher chance than someone with infertility caused by uterine problems.

Anyway - I hope someone who isn't just speculating like me can answer your question.

Addy

Ace

Reg: Nov 6th 2006

Tuesday, March 27th 2007, 9:57pm

Andrea,

The answer is I really don't know....know that doesn't help. From what I have read, I don't think consultants will give you any better a chance than any normal couple trying every month...ie 30% (or something around that), as it all depends on your embryos and your womb lining for that particular treatment cycle. If your eggs are good then you're likely to have a good fertilisation rate through ICSI. It's then up to how good they are once fertilised and how your womb is at that particular time. If all that is good, then you have a good chance.

Commen sense says that you're likely to have an excellent chance as you're ok and you're likely to have good fertilisation. However unfortunately, they'll only give you the same chance as any other normal couple on any natural cycle. By the same token Andrea, clinics do get rates of 50% and upwards if the right criteria apply including age....I think they're just careful about giving you your individual chance.

Hope that doesn't confuse you

Addy
xxxx
Me-33 DH-40
2 boys from ICSI
Donor cycle Mar '11 - 3 recipients (2 x BFP (both with twins) 1 x BFN)

• "Andrea" started this thread

Reg: Feb 23rd 2007

Children: 1 Gorgeous little boy

Friday, March 30th 2007, 9:45am

Thank you both for your reply they were both really helpful :D

Congratulations on you BFP Emila :party:

& good luck with the summer ICSI Addy i'm sure I will hear how it is going on one of the threads babydust babydust

Andrea x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Andrea" (Mar 30th 2007, 10:08am)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE