You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "anuram1" started this thread

Reg: Oct 17th 2006

Friday, December 29th 2006, 9:35pm

BLASTOCYST QUESTIONS

Hi

As some of you may know, I've just finished a cycle of IVF which resulted in a BFN. I was doing some research and it seems to suggest that blastocyst transfer may actually be more successful than an embryo transfer. Does anyone have any idea or opinion on this? Is there anyone who has found that blastocyst transfer has worked for them where an ET has failed?

I'm trying very hard to reconcile myself to the BFN and research seems to help. :rolleyes:

xxx
Anu

Me 32, DH 33
TTC since 2001
Left ovary removed and Lap 2 years later showed adhesions.
1st IVF NOV 06 - BFN.
2nd IVF APR 07 - :BFP:
TWINS!!!

Jaid

Ace

Reg: Jul 19th 2006

Friday, December 29th 2006, 11:17pm

Hi Anu.

I know where you are right now, I had my BFN on the 15th but am still feeling it.

I found research was helping me. Blastocycst is when the embyro has gone further than 2 day and is up to 5 day from the little I know. i have been looking more into assisted hatching but will be asking my consultant more about both on the 9th.

I feel for you and DH as me and mine are still reeling from ours.

XXXX
Jaid
Me 35, DH 41 -TTC/since Apr04
Natural BFP-Jun05/M/C @ 6 weeks-Jul05
Blocked Tubes - Mar06
1st IVF - '06' bfn / 2nd IVF '06'- bfn
8th Mar 07 - Laparoscopy / Endo found & cleared.
Tried Naturally - July 07 - BFP
Have a beautiful baby girl.

Lcli

Star

Reg: Apr 13th 2012

Saturday, December 30th 2006, 10:29am

Hi Anu,
I am due to start my 2nd ICSI real soon. I have never had blastocyst and Leeds do not offer this, they say it is all down to "space" and "storage". bah.

My hubbie thinks this can increase chances of success. i'll tell you his thoughts. he says that if you wait and see the embies go to blastocyst then you at least know they have successfully divided and developed ok ready for implantation.

I do not know if they is any proof of this being better... but logic suggests it to be a little more comforting. I had 2 embies put back , one at 4 celss and 1 at 6 cells. It resulted in a biological PR. I presume that at least 1 therefore made it to blastocyst in order to implant. If I have to go for a 3RD ICSI I will definitely consider blastocyst. Why cos I am now 35 and I know that the quality of my embies is unfortunately decreasing.

I hope this has helped and whenevere you want a chat.. please feel free to PM me.

Take care sweetheart :)

Reg: Aug 3rd 2006

Saturday, December 30th 2006, 2:35pm

Anu is this something you have discussed with the clinic ? or would you go elsewhere for this procedure ? Very interested in your research xxxx
Finally
Beautiful Son Charlie William Born 15/01/08 weighing 9lbs 3oz :innocent:

Saturday, December 30th 2006, 9:01pm

Thanks for responding.

Jaid: Pls. let me know what your consultant tells you. DH has taken the BFN quite badly but we're trying very hard to be strong for each other. A bout of retail therapy today helped!!

Lisa/Sharon : DH and I have been having very "ACTIVE DEBATEs" about the merits of blastocysts. I'm convinced that blastocyst transfer has a considerable amount of merit. Dh says we should leave it to the clinic. I don't think Oxford does it though. I know their argument is going to be that the best place for an embryo is the uterus but the scientific case for a BT is quite strong. I'm going to speak to them anyway. I will continue with Oxford for at least another round irrespective.

I plan to do another round probably in march which is the supposed to be the earliest possible.

Do you guys have any idea when you plan to go next.

xxx
Anu

Jaid

Ace

Reg: Jul 19th 2006

Saturday, December 30th 2006, 9:54pm

Hi.

I will let you know.

I think the earliest I could start next treatment would be end of February. But not really sure of what I want to do, so just mainly waiting for the 9th to work out what's best next.

We have both taken it badly this time, so much so we don't even fancy going out tomorrow night and just want to stay in locked away from everyone.
Jaid
Me 35, DH 41 -TTC/since Apr04
Natural BFP-Jun05/M/C @ 6 weeks-Jul05
Blocked Tubes - Mar06
1st IVF - '06' bfn / 2nd IVF '06'- bfn
8th Mar 07 - Laparoscopy / Endo found & cleared.
Tried Naturally - July 07 - BFP
Have a beautiful baby girl.

Reg: Feb 13th 2006

Saturday, December 30th 2006, 10:41pm

HI Anu/ Jaid

I have had Blasto and it was successful for me.......I have posted several times on this previuosly and will search the threads for you and let you know.......

x

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "tinkerbell" (Dec 30th 2006, 10:42pm)

Saturday, December 30th 2006, 10:46pm

Ok extract from one of my previous posts.....to get them all, go into search, input Blastocyst transfer in keywords and Tinkerbell in user name and then tick the box to show as posts and then search...all of my posts on this subject will come up...hope this helps

xxxxx

Ok Blastocyst transfer:

Blasto is a Blastocyst which is a day 5/6 embryo. After 5 days the cells will have divided many times and will start to differentiate by function. THe outer layer of cells eventually becomes the placenta the inner cells the foetus, those embryos that make blastocysyts are generally stronger and more likely to survive. I had 2 transferred at day 5, one was in conversion to Blastocyst and one was compacting (the stage before blastocyst (known as Morula i think). It is at Blastocyst stage that they hatch and implant...generally days 7-10.

Blastocyst transfer is believed to have a higher implantation rate, this is because they are putting the embryo back into the womb at the time when it would naturally reach there. On a 3 day transfer the embryo would normally still be in the fallopian tubes. A blastocyst also has the advantage of the Darwinian theory of 'survival of the fittest'...ie if the emby has made it to 5 days in vitro then it is deemed to be fitter and stronger and therefore more likely to implant.

It is important to note though that because they cant get 'perfect' media (in vitro culture etc) only 50% of embryos make it to blasto stage in vitro, they argue however that those that would have survived to that stage do and those who wont dont wherever they are, womb or in vitro...its really down to the individual clinic and the couple.....we believed that if it could survive it would and therefore we dont beleive it stood a better chance in me than in vitro so if I hadnt have been pregnant I wouldnt have regreted taking it to blasto stage. Not everyone feels the same some believe the womb is its more natural environment and so it stands a better chance there.

NOt all clinics have the expertise to offer blasto transfer......not every couple is comfortable with the possible fall out....we were and it worked for us but we had huge confidence in our clinics emryologists expertise.

Hope that helps clarify!!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "tinkerbell" (Dec 30th 2006, 11:32pm)

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Sunday, December 31st 2006, 1:26am

I think Tinkerbell has pretty much covered it all but just to let you know I got a BFN to my blastocyte IVF earlier this year and was like you but feeling the opposite, thinking if we'd put the embies in earlier they may have been viable and may have stuck - sometimes you can't win either way :rolleyes:. I was one of about 8 girls cycling at the same time and most got BFPs with 3 day transfers. That said, in general, success rates with blasts are higher than with 2/3 day embies. It doesn't help that I have a background in cellular biology and know the ins and outs of how cuture media can effect cells. I do believe that there will be some embryos that would survive in you but wont make it in a dish - but, at the same time, fully aknowledge that only a proportion of your embies will be genetically ok so you've a better chance of chosing the good ones if you wait till day 5. If you've a lot of embies which divide to schedule by day 3 I would go to day 5 if the option is availble. With fewer or slower embies I would want them back in me as soon as possible. - but I know I only feel trhat way because of my own experience, the experts may have a different take on it!.

Sorry to hear about your BFNs girls, it is the hardest news , take time to lick your wounds and look after each other.

xx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Tuesday, January 2nd 2007, 5:59pm

Tinkerbell, Suzy
Thank You. I have a lot to think about and some questions to pose to my clinic.

xxx
Anu
Anu

Me 32, DH 33
TTC since 2001
Left ovary removed and Lap 2 years later showed adhesions.
1st IVF NOV 06 - BFN.
2nd IVF APR 07 - :BFP:
TWINS!!!

Mrs M

Star

Reg: Oct 10th 2006

Tuesday, January 2nd 2007, 6:11pm

Good thread Anu as we have been looking at this too. Am going to discuss it with the clinic when we go next 0 had a 2 day/4 cell transfer this time and wonder even if we increased to 3 days if this would help.

Know how you laides feel as the BFN we had on 14 Dec really knocked us too. We are thinking of going for it again in Feb/Mar but need to get my PMA going as feel a bit dented by it all at the mo. Don't know how you ladies who have gone through it for many years do it - I think you are so brave

xxx

------------------------------
Me 33 DH 40, TTC 7+ yrs, unexplained infertility
3 x ICSI and 3 x natural FET with assisted hatching - all BFN :(
Our treatment journey has now ended

Reg: Sep 13th 2006

Children: One daughter

Friday, January 5th 2007, 2:52pm

Great thread Anu. We have already discussed this with our cons and if we have a sufficient amount of embies we will take it to blastocyst stage. We have to pay an extra £300 to do this. Our clinic only lets us get to this stage if we have enough embies to make it worthwhile. I guess if we only had 2-3 they would just put 2 back on day 3. Our cons said with my age and our fertility issues as they stand, if we took it to blastocyst stage our chances would be 60% which is appealingly high!
MC 1997, Ectopic 2006, Tubal infertility, 1st IVF :BFP: [zx098]

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: Twin Girls

Saturday, January 6th 2007, 7:33pm

RE: Blastocysts?

Hi Anu,

I had 2 ivf's & the 1st one was normal embies & then the 2nd was blastocysts, they were very good grades & it did work for us, I do agree that blastcysts do have a much better chance of a pregnancy, but lots of women do have success with normal ones, am I making myself clear! sorry...it's much more expensive, ours was £450.00 extra, if there are alot of eggs to start with most clinics do go for blastocysts.

good luck with your ivf I hope it works for you.

xx
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Saturday, January 6th 2007, 9:36pm

RE: Blastocysts?

Blastocyst culture is still a relatively recent thing. Not all clinics do it because of the newness of the technique. I think my clinic indicated that the culture the embryos/blastocysts is kept in is very complex and therefore restricted to certain clinics.

I agree with the general consensus out there - that if you have a lot of embryos, it's worth considering blastocyst culture, but if you have only two or three, you can go for blastocyst culture as long as you can cope with the possibility of bad news before ET even takes place. My clinic won't even consider culturing to blastocyst unless you have at least five embryos.

Kirsty C

Reg: Oct 15th 2007

Sunday, January 7th 2007, 11:00am

Hi there

I would be quite intersted in doing blastocyct but I'm pretty sure my clinic in Glasgow only do the 2 day transfer.
Since I got my BFN I too have been doing quite a lot of research on this and apparently even though your embryos can look really good on day 2, it really is impossible to tell if it wil be successful. It is day 3 that really matters as this is when the gentics from the sperm come into play.

I think even day 3 transfer would show you better if you had a good chance at success - I don't understand why some clinics don't take this into consideration?

We are going for a follow up meeting on Tuesday so I will be asking lots of questions on this and will let you know what they say

Love Kirstyxxx
2 rounds of ICSI due to male infertility
Both freeze all due to OHSS
3 rounds of natural FET - all BFN
Cuurently on 2ww with medicated FET
BFP 24 th Oct :D
TWINS!!!! :D :D
Lost one twin @ 8 weeks 4 days :sadface:
One healthy baby still on board - please stay with us :pray:

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 10:06am

Blastocysts

Hello Ladies and Gents

Just wanted to ask a question regarding blastocyst. This is going to be our 4th cycle and I am determined to go for blastocyst, my consultant has agreed, now we wanted this last time and the embroyolgist put us off saying the don't freeze blast's etc., so we went for day 2, we had a biochemical pregnancies. I have spoken in depth with my consultant and told him I didn't want to freeze any embies as I hate FET and find them more stressful then a full fresh cycle, so we agreed blastocyst.

So...... can people please give me their experiences lilke how many eggs were collected, how many fertilized, how many went to blast's and how many resulted in BFP - sorry for all the questions but I prefer to ask people with first hand experience rather then rely on the statistics the Doctors give you.

Thanking you in advance xxxx

10th and final IVF - BFP!

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 11:05am

I wish I could help hun, but my clinic don't do Blastocyst
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Children: Twin Girls

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 11:22am

RE: Blastocysts

Hi Rachie,

I had 2 ivf cycles, the 2nd cycle they were all Blastocysts, 20 eggs collected, I still have 5 frozen, mine did result in a finally BFP as twins, all mine fertilised but some were bad ones, good luck Rachie.

xx
PCOS
TTC 7 Yrs
2nd IVF - Blastocyst Embies
unbelievable BFP & TWINS!!
Now have beautiful twin girls

My family is now finally complete.

Reg: Jul 30th 2006

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 11:46am

Hi Rachel,
For my first cycle I had 12 eggs of which 9 fertilised. On day 4 I had 1 10 cell and 1 compacting and 6 others that were 8 cell or less. On day 5 the two furthest ahead had become an ealy blastocyte and 1 compacting and were put back and the rest were slowing and eventually stopped dividing before reaching blastocyte stage. Unfortuntaely I got a BFN that cycle though it wsa my first cycle which may have had an effect.

My second cycle I only had 4 fertilise so chose a 3dt instead (a 9 cell and 10 cell were put back)

Sorry not to have a positive blast story to tell but I guess if it's your first blast cycle its good to see the full range of experiences.

Good luck chuck

xx
Me 35, DH 31 [zx075]
Bilateral hydrosalpinges discovered May 06
Bilateral salpingectomy June 06
1st IVF August 06 BFN
2nd IVF January 07 BFP Twins!!

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 12:33pm

Thanks girls, it all helps, think I am going to see how many I get, how many fertilize and then take each day as it comes - but be ready to drop everything and have them put back, I would really like to go for Blasto though

• "jane april" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: May 22nd 2006

Children: twin girls

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 1:53pm

Hi Rachie,

Are you having this done in Plymouth? Good luck, sorry I can't help with this.

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
DH fine, me blocked tubes and adhesions
1st IVF BFN,December 06 tubal surgery,2nd IVF BFN,3rd IVF :BFP: TWINS
5 frosties
April 09 ectopic pregnancy

bab10 bab10
our babies are two pink frillies

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 1:54pm

Hi Rachel - here's the low down on mine.

Day 1: 15 high quality eggs collected, excellent semen sample.
11 fertilised normally, 3 were fertilised by 2 sperm so disguarded.

Day 2: All 11 divided, 10x 4-5 cells, 1x 2cells, all in top 2 grades.

Day 3: All 11 still viable, 10x 7-8 cells, 1x 5 cells, all top 2 grades.

Day 4: All 11 still viable, 8x 12-16 cells, 1x 10 cells, 1x9 cells, 1x 8 cells, all now top grade but not quite pre-morula yet.

Day 5: All 11 still viable, 9 x morulas, 2 x pre-morula.

Day 6: 6 out of 11 made it to blastocyst. Best 2 put back (grades 3AA and 3AB) , resulting in singleton pregnancy. 4 frozen for FE.

I chose my clinic based on the fact they did blastocyst transfer and had high success rates with it. They also freeze blastocysts for FET. There is one other girl on my clinics thread on another forum and she had similar results to me and is now pregnant with twins. They did say to both of us that we had high fertilisation rates and a high number making it to balstocyst. I think usually only 40% make it so 6 out of 11 is pretty high. As long as you aren't too bothered about freezing and have at least 5 high grade embryos it's worth pushing on to blastocyst I guess.

Wishing you lots of luck with your cycle.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Emilia44" (Mar 20th 2007, 1:55pm)

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 1:55pm

Hi Jane,

No not in Plymouth, I don't trust Plymouth Jane to be honest - they are not open to new ideas - so I've gone back to London - how are you at the moment?

Addy

Ace

Reg: Nov 6th 2006

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 3:36pm

Hi Rachel,

Sorry I can't give you much information but I'll be doing my first ICSI this year. I have tried reading up so much about the various options and am determined already that so long as it's possible, I want to go to blastocyst. My worry is that with PCOS, I'll get loads of eggs, but they'll be rubbish! However, will be insisiting on blastocyst which my clinic does. Also have read on another forum about blastocyst and it just seemed that they had so many success stories with it. I know nothing's a certainty in this business but I'm definitely going for it (Addy calm down - you've not even had an appt yet! :laugh:)

Addy
xxxx
Me-33 DH-40
2 boys from ICSI
Donor cycle Mar '11 - 3 recipients (2 x BFP (both with twins) 1 x BFN)

Reg: Feb 11th 2007

Children: My children are wonderful!

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 4:00pm

Hi Rachel, Sorry to butt in on your thread but I have a similar concern. Has anyone ever gone for blastocyst and not ended up with any to put back in. My clinic said they only went to that stage if you had lots of eggs, i really wanted to and went to max drugs this time but only ended up with 3 eggs!

Me 39, DH 40 Children, Lucy and DS (7)
Lucy lost in car accident 8th April 2002
TTC 6 years - ICSI x 4 - :BFN: x 4

Spider's Diary

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 4:28pm

At my clinic Spider, you have to have at least 5 top grade embryos on day 3 for them to take it to blastocyst stage because you run the risk of losing them all. i think it's 40% that usually make it so if you only had 3 you would run a high chance of ending up without anything to put back.

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 4:32pm

Hi Julia

ummmm.... this is very interesting - and thanks Emelia - I have set a limit of 5, if I don't have 5 or above then I will go for a day 3 transfer - I'll be too scared to loose them and not have any to transfer!

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 4:36pm

Thanks for the information Emilia, I wondered how they worked it out. I knew I wouldn't get it this time when I saw I only had 3 follies. I did better on previous cycles but I didn't know about blastocysts then!

Spider's Diary

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 4:41pm

It's such a trciky one because there are these two different arguments and I don't think anyone really knows which is right. One theory says that if they don't make it to blastocyst in the petrie dish they won't make it there in the womb so you would get a BFN from a day 2 or 3 transfer. But other cons say that we can't know that for sure and maybe in the more friendly uterine environment they would have made it and didn't make it because they were in a petrie dish.

I weighed up both sides and chose blast transfer because firstly we had a lot of grade 1 embryos so stood a very good chance of reaching blast stage and secondly, I knew that if you get there they can see very clearly which are the best - the most likely to make it. Blastocysts are assessed on 3 different parameters - the bit that will be the baby, the bit that will be the placenta and expansion. They can see very clearly that there is a good chance for the baby to be healthy and the placenta to be healthy, increasing the chances of implantation.

having got a BFP this way i would definitely go to blastocyst again but it is a very tough choice to make and there is that risk you will lose them all. Ours didn't become blastocysts until day 6 which isn't as good as day 5 so there is also that aspect to consider. We had text book grade 1s all the way and then day 5 they didn't become blasts. thankfully 6 did on day 6 but it did lessen our chances from 60% success rate to 50% success rate. But I guess 50% is still a lot better than the much lower success rate with day 2 or 3 transfer.

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 4:47pm

If I go again I'm going to look into going to a London clinic and seeing whether they can get more eggs out of me. My former clinic say that there is nothing more they can try. I would definately like to go somewhere where they are more 'invasive' and monitor you more.

Spider's Diary

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 4:53pm

Spider have you tried acupuncture to increase the number of eggs? It certainly increases quality so maybe numbers too. Might be worth asking an acupuncturist who specalises in IVF if it can have an impact on egg numbers.

I had my blasto treatment at ACU at UCH - there's a thread about them v ARGC somewhere on here. I couldn't recommend them highly enough and they have great results with blast transfer.

Tuesday, March 20th 2007, 5:24pm

Thanks Emilia - I'm sorry hun I think I posted the same time as you before so didn't pick up your post - I do normally get good quality eggs around 9 - 11 but I just have a bad feeling about this cycle, I just don't want to take it for granted that I will get that many again - I have to have one cycle that I don't get as many and I have a horrible feeling this is the one - haven't had accupuncture on this one - I really want blastocyst, but it really will depend on how many fertilize etc., and their grades!

• "jane april" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: May 22nd 2006

Children: twin girls

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 2:15pm

Hi Rachie,

I'm ok, I hope Plymouth are ok, I am back with them in June. I just can't afford to go private. Derriford is only about £2500 (I say only......). I really hope I can trust them.

anyway best of luck, my thoughts are with you.

[zx015]
Me 35, DH 34
DH fine, me blocked tubes and adhesions
1st IVF BFN,December 06 tubal surgery,2nd IVF BFN,3rd IVF :BFP: TWINS
5 frosties
April 09 ectopic pregnancy

bab10 bab10
our babies are two pink frillies

Lcli

Star

Reg: Apr 13th 2012

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 2:44pm

Hi rachie,

Emilia brings up a few good points: that of whether embryos put back in 2-3 days will ever become a blastocyst inside the womb verus it being the better enviroment etc. I agree it is a gamble but like you I have had previous failed cycles. Both ETs were day 2. ICSI #1 resulted in a biochemical PG so I at least know one embie made it to blasto and implanted.

However now that my 2nd ICSI resulted in a flat out BFN and having only 3 embies out of 6 eggs of which 4 fertilized...well I need to try something different. Leeds did not do blastocyst and I am not too sure if any NHS funded IVF do. So.. now that I am faced with yet another cycle and I have to pay.. I am determined to try blastocyst. I am hoping to go to CARE in Manchester. They have a good success rate of blastocyst transfer. It may work.. it may not but one thing I need to know is... how come I produced 17 eggs 1st ICSI and only 6 the "nd. I had the exact same treatment and due to me being multicystic I was on a very lose dose of Menopur. I personally think they should have increased this as they saw many eggs at 10mm.

I believe that blastocyst gives you the peace of mind to know that your embryos are developing well enough to even get to implantation. If they should all perish before transfer it is a loss and is hard to accept especially if the cycle is self funded. I like you am determined to go blasto next cycle. I need ti know and see a difference. I know it is not guaranteed but I don't want 2 day transfer and a BFN again.

I think once we have experienced 2 or more failed cycles.. it is time to try something different. Blasto is offered to those in our situ.

I hope this has helped you in some way. Sorry if I waffle on a bit lol.

Just to add, Rachie, I think you are extremely brave to carry on and strength wise... wow!!!

I am truly wishing you all the very best for your next cycle because I know you so deserve it. ;)

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 2:59pm

Wow, thanks Lisa for your kind words and encouragement. I do feel blastocysts is are next option and my consultant agrees, but I will wait and see what happens, how many I get fertilized and quality etc., he only agreed to this if I promised to take each day as it came and stay close in case they need to get me in if they don't feel I'd have anything to transfer. Worse case though I want at least a day 3 transfer.

Good luck with your next cycle and again, thanks for your kind words xx

Flossy.

Superstar

Reg: Jan 2nd 2007

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 3:09pm

:hi: Rachel sorry i cant answer your question hun but i would like to wish you :goodluck: for tomorrow on your foilicle scan i have my fingers crossed love nicky keep us posted.
babydust babydust babydust babydust
starsmile starsmile starsmile starsmile starsmile starsmile

:rose: Me 34 DH 30 :rose:
6 IUI'S :BFN: :sniff:
Hoping for a baby 2009:pray:
Was classed as "Unexplained Infertility"
On 9th Jan 2 Fibroids.
Having a break for a while

babydust babydust

Reg: Feb 4th 2007

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 3:42pm

What is blastocyst???

mmmmmm

Me 28 DH 29
TTC 4 1/2 yrs
MC 2004 7wks MC 2005 11 wks
ICSI Dec 2006
Cancelled after EC:high risk OHSS
11 Frosties
Nat Fet March 07 BFN
7 Frosties :)
Med Fet May 07 BFP
VERY SHOCKING NAT BFP MAY 09

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 4:03pm

Thanks girls

Ruthie - blastocyst is when the final stage before they inplant - looks like a big glitter ball!

Reg: Aug 14th 2006

Wednesday, March 21st 2007, 8:38pm

Hi Rachel,

I definitely think blastocyst is the way to go. We had ICSI with 8 eggs, 6 viable and 5 fertilised. All 5 went to blastocyst! (the embryologist said that it's almost unheard of for all fertilised eggs to go the distance, so we were very lucky).

Im surprised that your clinic don't freeze blasties though. Our Cons said that they freeze very well and survive the thawing process much better than 2-3 day ones.

We only had one put back as success rate was around 70%, and we got our BFP, with four in the freezer!

Good luck sweetie, really hope this is going to be the one for you.

Txxx
Me 33, DH 35 TTC since Aug 05
DH low count & anti-sperm antibodies
IUI Oct - :BFN:
IUI Nov - :BFN:
ICSI Feb - :BFP:

Unbelievable BFP on 3rd March.Jellytot is due on 8th Nov!

Thursday, March 22nd 2007, 7:31pm

Wow Tracy thanks for that - I will ask nearer the time about freezing them, just want to take each day at a time at the moment see what happens - although I will talk with them tomorrow about blasto get them prepared!!!

Kirsty C

Reg: Oct 15th 2007

Thursday, March 22nd 2007, 9:01pm

Hi All

It is very interesting reading these posts on Blastos.......on my 3rd FET I really wanted to go to blastocyst stage but my DH did not and when I discussed it with our clnic I got the distinct impression they do not do it very often and do not recommend it.

It's such a hard decision to make....I've never even had a fresh cycle but I've had 3 failed FETs and 3 of the embies were grade A...who knows why it didn't work but I think you get to a certain stage in your treatment when enough is enough and you want something different done and you wnat to explore different options.

We go for our 2nd ICI in June and im just praying we get our fresh ET this time.....then it will be a very hard decision on whether to take them to day 5 which I dont think my DH will agree to!

Best of luck to you Rachie, im sure you will make the right decision and do what's best for you and your embies.

xxx
2 rounds of ICSI due to male infertility
Both freeze all due to OHSS
3 rounds of natural FET - all BFN
Cuurently on 2ww with medicated FET
BFP 24 th Oct :D
TWINS!!!! :D :D
Lost one twin @ 8 weeks 4 days :sadface:
One healthy baby still on board - please stay with us :pray:

mm12

Reg: Apr 17th 2007

Thursday, April 19th 2007, 7:09pm

Hi Rachel

Like you, I wanted to go to blastocyst, as I would rather know before ET if the embryos are not going to "take".

I produced 9 eggs, 5 fertilised - all 5 were grade 4 (4x8 cells & 1x7 cells) at day 3, hence delay until day 5.
On day 5, the best 3 were implanted - slightly pre-blastocyst, ie compacting (think thats right terminology!)
2 were discarded on day 6.

I am waiting for BT, so do not know if it worked.......
Lisa

me 41 DH 42

IUI Sept 06 BFN
IVF Jan 07 BFN
IVF April 07 BFN

3rd IVF planned mid June 07

Thursday, April 19th 2007, 7:23pm

I went to ARGC....I had 13 eggs 8 of which were viable, 5 went to ICSI 3 to IVF, all fertilised but one IVF was fertiltised by 2 sperm so became unviable...all made it through to day 3 but I chose to go to Blasto.......all the ICSI failed the 2 IVF went through and were implanted and I had a BFP.......this was my 1st cycle with the ARGC..elsewhere had failed...I was 43.

IF you want to go to BLasto make sure your clinic is experienced in it because the success is down to the culture and skill of the embryologist as well as the egg itself.

FOr those of you who dont know....a day 3 embryo would natural;ly still be in the fallopian tubes and so when placed in thr womb is slightly ahjead of itself, a day 5 emby (blasto) naturally would be coming into the womb so it is n the correct place at the correct time.

THere have been many discussion on blastocysyts on previuos threads..it may be worth while using the search function to see previuos posts......

good luck on your choices girls

mm12

Reg: Apr 17th 2007

Thursday, April 19th 2007, 7:26pm

what is ARGC???
Lisa

me 41 DH 42

IUI Sept 06 BFN
IVF Jan 07 BFN
IVF April 07 BFN

3rd IVF planned mid June 07

Reg: Feb 4th 2007

Thursday, April 19th 2007, 8:19pm

I've just read all the posts on this and found it really interesting. I mentioned blasts to my clinic and they said they would prefer to have 10 embryos - i have 7 frosties and they said they would try blast with them but there would be no gurantee they would make it as my frosties were frozen pretty much straight after ec cos i had ohss. So if my medicated fet cycle doesn't work this time i will definately be asking the consultant on blasts with a fresh cycle.

:xxx3:

Me 28 DH 29
TTC 4 1/2 yrs
MC 2004 7wks MC 2005 11 wks
ICSI Dec 2006
Cancelled after EC:high risk OHSS
11 Frosties
Nat Fet March 07 BFN
7 Frosties :)
Med Fet May 07 BFP
VERY SHOCKING NAT BFP MAY 09

Thursday, April 19th 2007, 11:23pm

Quoted

Originally posted by mm12
what is ARGC???

Clinic in London..very high success rates, somewhat controvercial..........consultant is Tarannissi........some of us are pg by him and some of us under treatment there

kar1

Thursday, January 17th 2008, 4:04pm

blastocyst

how many embryo did you have on day and how many went on to blasto?
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

kar1

Thursday, January 17th 2008, 4:39pm

this is what the main man said about it, they do not routinly do this yet are prepared to do this for us, the embryolist is very experienced and has work is america and sweden so i trust him 100%....

I am still very tempted with the thought of blastocyst transfer but also scared of the thought that none would survive we can make that decision as treatment progresses (on day 3 ideally) I will guide you on it was we move day to day letting you know % chances of getting blasts. I wouldn’t advise blastocsyst transfer if I felt you weren’t going to get any.
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Friday, January 18th 2008, 7:47am

What did they say about freezing half the batch and letting the others go to blasto?
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

kar1

Friday, January 18th 2008, 10:08am

well i don;t get a great deal on eggs so this wouldn't be an option

have emailed to check on a few other things though, it makes me nervous but would be worth the risk i think!!!well i think we will go with what embryolist says
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE