You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Jaid

Ace

• "Jaid" started this thread

Reg: Jul 19th 2006

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 12:40pm

HOW MANY TO TRANSFER?

As we all know in the U.K you can only have two embryos put back in if you are under 40. This is because of the high risk factor in multiple births.

The reason we are are looking into this is that in the last two ivf attempts we have had two top quality embryos put back in each time both resulting in BFN. And becuase of that we think that putting in maybe 4 embryos would increase our chances.

We know that in many other countries they will consider putting in more than 2 embyros, even as many as 4.

Has anyone given this any thought and looked into it, we have checked some sites but wondered if there are any other sites that you may be aware of that do this. The two that we found are as follows, the Malpani one was because it was the first one that we found and thought yeah but then as we have family in Sarasota we looked for one there.

http://www.ivfindia.com/index.html
http://www.drpabon.com/
Jaid
Me 35, DH 41 -TTC/since Apr04
Natural BFP-Jun05/M/C @ 6 weeks-Jul05
Blocked Tubes - Mar06
1st IVF - '06' bfn / 2nd IVF '06'- bfn
8th Mar 07 - Laparoscopy / Endo found & cleared.
Tried Naturally - July 07 - BFP
Have a beautiful baby girl.

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 12:43pm

RE: Multiple Embyros

It's an interesting point Jaid ... do you know what you would do if all 4 implanted though?

Kirsty
xxx

Jaid

Ace

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 1:02pm

I personally don't believe all 4 would implant. In 2 cycles we have had 4 put in with zero results, therefore chances of all 4 in one go would not implant.

But if all 4 would implant then we would need to see what the dr's would say and go with the best option advised at that time.

DH... put another way if a clinic regularly transfers 3-4 embryos, then they must have established contingency plans for 3-4 implantations!!
Jaid
Blocked Tubes - Mar06

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 1:05pm

Jaid,

Unfortunately they would advise you reduced the number, and I dont have to explain what that means. Now that would be a very tough thing to have to go through. I think 3 should be the absolute maximum, whatever the circumstances. But that is just my personal feelings on it.

TTC 4 yrs
ICSI Feb 2005 BFP - early MC :(
3 x DIUI Oct05/Jan06/Mar06 BFN
Starting 2nd ICSI Dec 2006

OMG!! a real :BFP: 7/2/07

KIRSTY G

Reg: Sep 27th 2006

Children: 7 year old little man, and B/G twins

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 1:28pm

I've read your other thread jaid, about the assisted hatching, and I have to say ... I think that's the better option.
I hope this comes out right, but .... if none out of 4 have implanted so far, I see that as being a problem with hatching ... or implantation ... putting 4 or 40 back in wouldn't help if the embryo's can't hatch ... so I would definately favour the assisted hatching aproach first.

Just my opinion babe ... what's your gut instinct telling you?

Jaid

Ace

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 1:52pm

My gut feeling is the assisted hatching which is our 1st choice and next option that we are looking into.

Me and DH are just looking around at options in general. We weren't even really looking at 4 embies in general as I think 3 is enough. Plus I only seem to get 3 good embies, so why not put all of them in.
Jaid
Blocked Tubes - Mar06

ladybird

Reg: Nov 8th 2006

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 4:56pm

I know i would be overjoyed to discover i was pg with 1 baby.
Twins would be AMAZING and triplets would scare me.
As for 4 babies if all the embies took...I coud never make that decision for
natural selection. I would have to leave it to fate and god.

I hope the assisted hatching works for you as this would hopefully not leave you
with a possible heartwrenching choice like the 4 embies transfer could.

Good luck and i pray you get that BFP soon.

Sarah :)

• "spangle" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 5:05pm

Jaid, talk to your consultant about assisted hatching, i didnt have it for a few cycles but on my 4th i insisted even though there was no medical proof it was what my embryos needed but it worked and i got a +

The other thing is did you have a day 2 or 3 transfer?
10 IVF's 4 FET
4 PG all ended in m/c
Mummy to 5 angels

Jaid

Ace

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 5:15pm

I've had day 3 transfer on both.

We'll book an appointment with our docs in January now.

I did read somewhere that some places suggest assisted hatching after 3-4 failed attempts so i don't see why i cant ask for it on my 3rd if our only problem seems to be really implantation.
Jaid
Blocked Tubes - Mar06

• "spangle" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Nov 14th 2005

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 5:43pm

yes i agree, if they say no i would insist, you are paying for it after all (and at £300 to hatch 2 embryos that is a lot of money!!)
10 IVF's 4 FET
4 PG all ended in m/c
Mummy to 5 angels

Mrs Bear

Reg: Oct 3rd 2006

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 7:44pm

Hi Jaid - think i would be inclined to try the assisted hatching over large # of embryos just reading a book at moment written by woman who had 4 put back on and all 4 implanted, they had to reduce and it's simply awful, had me sobbing ... think rather than having to make this decision better to try AH,hope your clinc is helpful.

Me 31/DH 33/DD 5
2 x IUI's (2006) - BFN / 1st ICSI Nov 06 - BFN / 2nd ICSI Jan/Feb 07 - abandoned
3rd ICSI Aug 07 - BFN

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "Mrs Bear" (Dec 17th 2006, 7:56pm)

Reg: Aug 10th 2006

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 10:01pm

Question: - At what stage do they do the assisted hatching? Can they do it on day 3, or do they have to take the embies to blasto? xx

"Every blade has it's angel that bends over it and whispers,
'Grow, grow'"

[zx076]

Reg: Oct 17th 2006

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 10:06pm

How do you calculate day 2 and day 3. Is Day 2 he day after EC.
xxx
Anu

Reg: Aug 10th 2006

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 10:07pm

I think day one is the morning of the day after egg collection. x

"Every blade has it's angel that bends over it and whispers,
'Grow, grow'"

[zx076]

Reg: Oct 17th 2006

Sunday, December 17th 2006, 10:08pm

Thanks Peanut:)

Reg: Apr 17th 2006

Children: A beautiful little boy born October 2008

Tuesday, December 19th 2006, 10:22am

Hi Jaid

We're at the same stage now and as I posted recently, I have been offered chromosonal & hormonal testing before we embark on our next ICSI..... have you had your follow up appointment yet?

I'll pm you......

Hope you are okay and getting stronger day by day...

Linda xx

Reg: Dec 18th 2007

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 2:51pm

1 Embie or 2?

This might be a bit early to think about as not even had EC yet (fri hopefully), but my con said if my embies are of good quality they would really only like to put one back in as the risks of having twins is higher as i'm under 35. They have said the decision is entirley mine but cant help thinking that if i only have one put back in - doesn't that lower my chances and if it doesn't work am i going to really regret only using one, but if i have two put back in and something happens i will feel just as awful!!! I know i have to be govened by the clinic and i may not get the choice to have two put back in but cant help thinking about it!!!! Can anyone give me some advise as to what they would do or have done?
Sorry to have rambled on xx xx

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 2:58pm

it all depends on your feeling about having twins

i have always had 2 put back and many girl who have 2 put back get pregnant with a singleton yet some have twins

each time i have had top quality embryos, so much is down to luck also.
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

Rae

Star

Reg: Apr 20th 2007

Children: 4

Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 3:04pm

I think you've answered it yourself by saying that you would feel awful if you only have one put back and it doesn't work.

Having twins is great - hard work at first but worth it - but I am biased I guess!

Good luck

Me 40
DP 43
twin boys born '93, dd born '98 [zx076]

JENSQUI

Megastar

Reg: Feb 26th 2007

Children: one very special daughter

Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 3:30pm

is there a chance you could go to blastocyst stage?
i haven't had IVF but during the consultations spoke to my clinic about only putting one back (my choice rather than theirs). for my clinic they get higher success rates with putting 2 back rather than 1 (not sure what national stats are) but if only putting 1 back get higher success rate if that is at blast stage. does that make sense? I'd ask if your clinic have got any figures on their particular success rates with this and whether or not there is any difference depending on the embie grade.

good luck with whatever you decide x

me 38, DP 44, ttc since 2005
BFP May 07 - HB seen @ 8 wks but CRL only 7 weeks, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Jan 08 -m/c @ 11 wks (D&C)
BFP Jun 08 - early loss
BFP Dec 08 - HB & CRL ok @ 8 wks, but sac too small, m/c @ 9 wks
BFP Apr 09 - Martha born 9th Jan 2010
BFP Feb 12 - Eliza born 13th Oct 2012

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "JENSQUI" (Jan 22nd 2008, 3:30pm)

Reg: Oct 22nd 2007

Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 7:33pm

We are a lot further behind than you but our clinic has already mentioned this choice to us. If we get to the day and it is still our choice on the day we are going for 2.
Me low morphology 1.1% to 15% with vitamins/supplements
TTC since 2003
Shock natural :BFP: 26 February 2008
Simon

Peoples "dog of death" crosses the Irish sea to become family pet.

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 7:40pm

I had two put back it was standered, guess it makes sence for NHS patients to have 2 put back and if succesfull you dont really have to be treated again to complete family (obv you could be if you wanted more kids) and if one fais to inplant theres always the other One.
But on the Flip side Twin Pregnancy is higher risk, and they are Very hard work to begin with and getting out can be a strugglefor the 1st year (all worth it though)

Good Luck x x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Reg: Dec 30th 2007

Children: Was Lister

Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 7:52pm

We had two put back on our last attempt - I can't remember them asking but assume they did.

I wonder if more clinics are recommending or highlighting the debate over 1 egg versus 2 eggs at ET in anticipation of suggested changes to fertility treatment. I think I remember reading that a parliamentary bill was being considered which would prevent 2 egg transfers for women under a certain age. It's probably me being cynical.

Pickles

4 ICSI - all BFN
Poor responder (6 eggs max on left ovary only)
High NK cells
Considering Egg Donation

kar1

• "kar1" is no longer a member of FZ

Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 8:05pm

i think more and more clinics are going down this route due to the twin issue

i think its a very personal choice
TTC 12 years

2 early losses

lots of ops and tx

both tubes removed

5th fresh short protocol
:BFP:

Tyler May born 5/5/2010 by emergency c section. Tyler is our sunshine

bubble

Megastar

United Kingdom

Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 8:53pm

Quoted

Originally posted by Pickles
I wonder if more clinics are recommending or highlighting the debate over 1 egg versus 2 eggs at ET in anticipation of suggested changes to fertility treatment. I think I remember reading that a parliamentary bill was being considered which would prevent 2 egg transfers for women under a certain age. It's probably me being cynical.

Pickles

The HFEA called for a reduction in multiple births as a result of fertility treatment as recently as December and guidance is starting to be developed which will work towards achieving this. Might be what you're thinking of Pickles? (see attached link http://www.hfea.gov.uk/en/1625.html)

In response to your question sammiesue, I think it is such a personal decision that only you and your DH can decide whats best for you. Sure you'll reach the right decision for you. Good luck for Friday - if it happens then x

ttc since July 06. 8 cycles of clomid. BFP on cycle 5 (Dec 07) ended in m/c at 9.5 weeks. Second BFP on cycle 8 (May 08)

Saz

Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 9:26pm

Hey,

I was 24 at time of treatment, had 2 embies put back resulting in a single pregnancy. This is a difficult one, but I think the best thing to do is go with your gut feeling on the day.

Torisen

Reg: Jan 1st 2006

Tuesday, January 22nd 2008, 9:43pm

I am trying for our second child and have decided only to have one embryo put back.
For me this is due to three things:

1 - twin pregnancies are more risky than single pregnancies
2 - I misscarried a twin when I got pregnant with my son and it caused me a lot of distress
3 - my family and relationship would not benefit from having twins

I know it is really personal and that it is frightening that there is a lower pregnancy chance of having one put back but I would rather try again and take that risk than putting 2 back...

This is not how I felt before my first pregnancy. THen I thought the more the merrier!

It is a very personal question and only you will know what is right for you!

XX
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006
BF DS 10 months 3 weeks and 5 days
FET 11/07, ICSI 12/07 (ABANDONED), ICSI 2/08, IUI 5/08 - BFN
Clomid IUI 7/08 BFP MC a twin... again :(

Reg: Mar 13th 2006

Children: 1 DD

Wednesday, January 23rd 2008, 7:43am

Me and my DH are having the same discussion just now. I am also 26 and they have sugested putting 1 back. We took some time to decide and we are going to ask for 2 to be put back.

For me it feels like I am sort of doubling my chances. If one implants then great but if 2 and its twins we will be even more happy.

I think its down to your own personal feelings.
1 DD
2 X MC 07 ECTOPIC 07
IVF MAR 08 22 EGGS,FROZEN DUE TO OHSS
FET AUG O8 BFP BUT ECTOPIC
FET MAR 09 - BFN

Wednesday, January 23rd 2008, 7:21pm

Hi SammySue,

It is a hard one and perhaps you can ask your clinic for current clinical evidence supporting 1 or 2 embies.

I am of the same opinion as twinkle, I would be happy with one but twins would be fab too.

Best of luck whatever you decide and make sure no one pressures you into your decision.

Lel x
1st ICSI failed to implant Aug 05
2nd ICSI failed to implant Feb 06
3rd ICSI June 10

Only had 2 eggs (eggs too immature to use)

Reg: Aug 30th 2007

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 8:53am

Like the other girls have said, it really depends on how you feel about the prospect of twins.

I had 2 put back in Nov and am now expecting twins (but I am v.v.v. happy with this- feel very blessed) but I can see why many people would not want twins. Particularly giving the reasons Torisen has above.
TTC #1 Since April 05.
1 Mc Jan 06
1st ICSI Nov 07- :BFP:
Its twin girls- bab10 bab10

Torisen

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 8:56am

I must say that if I do get some embryos to put back and they are considered very bad quality then I will have 2 put back
I am also thinking of going blasto and have one put back...

Change my mind every 20 seconds but my gut says that for me it isn't worth the risk!

x
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Reg: Jul 18th 2007

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 9:22am

It's personal choice really and a lot of thought goes in behind it to each individual.

We had two put back, both were at Blasto stage & one with assisted Hatching on it, we got lucky and I am pregnant with a single, but we don't know which one of the Tx's it came from?!

I woud have had all 4 put back in, but in all reality this wouldn't have been the best option for us as if we had been successful with all four I'm not sure how we would have managed - although we were mentally prepared and accepting of twins.

P.S. Good Luck

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Rainbow Sprite" (Jan 24th 2008, 9:23am)

Reg: Feb 28th 2007

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 9:37am

It is very personal decision but i will tell you my story.

I was 35 when i had IVF and had 2 grade 2 emmbies put back. Initially my pregnancy was twins but we sadly lost one early on at 8 weeks. The other is still going strong and i am now 28 weeks pregnant..

Good luck and i am sure you will come to a decision that is right for you..

Metformin for 2 1/2 years
Clomid - 100mg for 6 cycles
Laparoscopy - 06 - normal
Feb 07 - unsuccessful IUI
May 07 - abandonded IUI - overstimulated
July 07 - IVF :BFP
15th April - my little miracle arrived

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 9:52am

This is all part of the new HFEA guideline which suggests that clinics should be moving toward putting one embryo back where the chances of success are at their optimum. I was part of the public debate on this, and was strongly in favour of women being given the choice over whether to have one or two embryo's replaced.

It sounds like your clinic have given you the choice. You don't have to have just one put back, I am sure they would be happy for you to have 2 put back, but because they have suggested one, it means that you have seriously considered the prospect of twins, and what it would mean to you. If you feel happy that you would cope with twins, go for it, but if you feel that it would be terribly hard, then think twice. There are lots and lots of instances where women have had 2 embies put back and still ended up with a singleton pregnancy though, so I'm afraid it is a bit of a gamble.

Good luck whatever you decide.
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

Children: one perfect little miracle baby boy - now trying for a little brother or sister !!

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 1:28pm

Thanks ladies you have been so lovely and helpful with your advise and comments :smile: i have EC tomorrow :smile: i will keep you posted on what we decide!
thanks again, good luck and best wishes to you all xxx xxx

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

mrs_smiff

Superstar

Reg: Jan 10th 2007

Children: 5 kids aged 21,18,14,13 and a little miracle born April 09

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 2:55pm

Good luck for you EC tomorrow. Fingers crossed for lots of lovely embies to chose from!
Me 35,DH 36 (Severe Oligospermia.).
4th ICSI :BFP:
I have 4 lovely big kids
Thomas Derren (Thom) July 1990
Luke Benjamin August 1993
Harley John Oliver June 1997
Alexandria Aimee Jay (Alex) July 1998
Lochlan Cassius James April 2009 (4th attempt at ICSI)

• "1xbaby pls" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Apr 4th 2006

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 3:09pm

Good luck Tomoz x x
1st go ICSI - @ royal shewsbury and Telford NHS funded
25 eggs collected 27/3/06
15 fertilized - 8 grade A - 2 transfered 30th/3
test date - Thursday 13th April, BFP :D :D :D
:baby: ITS TWINS :baby:
M.L & J.F - Born 9/11/06 6w prem (6lb 5oz & 4lb 10oz)

Thursday, January 24th 2008, 6:16pm

Thanks ladies xfingers xx xx

IVF 5th time lucky
- BFP
Trying for No 2 - BFP

Reg: Jan 6th 2008

Sunday, February 10th 2008, 7:27pm

Just sending you a huge cuddle. xxxxxxxx
April 08 - IVF #1 Abandoned, no fertilised eggs :sadface:

2 Laps done... on waiting list for next one! [zx062]

Reg: Jan 15th 2008

Monday, April 7th 2008, 10:32am

One or two embryos? Confused ?(

As you can see from my ticker, I am still in very early stage of my treatment. I am so confused now, as to how many embryos I should transfer. My mind says one, but what if it is not succesful? ?( I read about Blastocyst culture, sounds like a very good idea if I have plenty of eggs :P. Also I am having treatment in NHS, so not sure whether they will be happy to do Blastocyst transfer for me (dont mind paying extra money!!).

I really like twins, but very worried about the potential complications in pregnancy like premature delivery etc...I know that it is an individual decision, still if someone can help me by sharing their experiences, to make my decision, that will be fab.

ICSI May 2008 - BFN
1st August- :BFP: (natural)

Baby Girl born on 04/04/2009

chatterbox

Megastar

Reg: Nov 30th 2007

Children: Two heaven sent miracles!

Monday, April 7th 2008, 10:57am

hi anita

I'm not sure about the stats, but I think that 1 in 4 successful IVF pg is a multiple. (any moderators out there know different??)

So it doesn't mean that you will automatically have twins. The clinic's aim will be to get you pg on the first round of IVF, hence the transfer of 2 embryos, so I think perhaps your fears should be discussed with them as well?

I've probably not helped much, (sorreeeee!). There's bound to be someone along with better info than me... maybe some of the multiple ladies can offer advice? Have you thought about putting a post on the multiple section?

Best of luck1

:xxx:

Me 40 DH 35 TTC 10yr
peritoneal mesothelioma, cystectomy 97 & 00
peritonectomy, lost both tubes & most of left ovary Aug 07

Dec 07 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk
July 08 BFN
Dec 08 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk

July 09 BFN
Nov 09 BFP 2 x sacs 1 b/o 1 no hrtbt m/c 9.2wk
May10 BFP at 8+4 m/mc @10wk scan ERPC

Found: High NK cells, DQ Alpha match, LAD neg & PAI-1 pos...

NOV 2010 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :girl: born 25/8/11

OCT 2012 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :boy: born 24/6/13

twinkletoes

Superstar

Reg: Mar 29th 2008

Children: 1 stepson 1 stepdaughter

Monday, April 7th 2008, 10:58am

RE: One or two embryos? Confused ?(

hi anita :hello:

congratulations on getting this far, I choose two on both occasions, like you said the idea of having twins really made my heart beat, almost like an instant family. but unfortunatly either attempt ended in .... but again on my third attempt i am going to transfer two providing i have two, like you said it is an individual choice, and i wish you all the luck in making that choice, it will be the right one for you.
not sure on NHS wether they will do blastocyst but check with your doc, he will tell you.
Good luck with your journey
keep us updated on your tx

hugs and kisses
twinkletoes
:hugs: :xxx3:

IVF #1 :BFN: IVF #2 APRIL 08 :BFN: IVF #3 Sept 08 :BFN: IVF #4 Feb 09 :BFN: June 09 FET embryo's didnt survive
Tubes Removed 11/08

twinkletoes

Superstar

Reg: Mar 29th 2008

Children: 1 stepson 1 stepdaughter

Monday, April 7th 2008, 11:02am

oh sorry anita to be nosey but just noticed hubby has low sperm count, has doc given anything for this? my dh also had low sperm count and was told to take L-Carnitine, after a week of taking these along with zinc his sperm was as the doctor over here says SUPER.

twinkle xx

IVF #1 :BFN: IVF #2 APRIL 08 :BFN: IVF #3 Sept 08 :BFN: IVF #4 Feb 09 :BFN: June 09 FET embryo's didnt survive
Tubes Removed 11/08

Reg: Nov 14th 2006

Children: Twins boy and girl

Monday, April 7th 2008, 11:04am

Hi

We had two embryos put in and were lucky that it worked first time...To be honest i did not give it much thought as i really believed that it was going to fail completely and i would not be pregnant...Positive thinking and all that !!!! Not for one minute did i think we would have twins.

I do think i should have given it more thought that we could have twins as it is very hard at times, but obviously i would not change them for the world...Nothing can prepare you to have a baby, be it one or two babies...

Personally i would have done anything to get pregnant, so by having 2 embryos will increase your chances of success.

Hope this helps...Not sure if i made sense or not????

Good luck in your treatment

Lizzy
Lilypie Second Birthday tickers

Torisen

Monday, April 7th 2008, 11:07am

This is a conversation you should have with your doctor.
My feelings were that if I had bad quality embryos then I would have transfered two but if it all looked good then one.

My gut feeling was that my family and relationship with my husband would not benefit from having twins. This on top of problems often occurring with twin pregnancies did not justify the risk of putting two back for me.
I had a negative result and to be honest, the thought has crossed my mind "what if I had 2 put back" but if and when i do it again, I will have one put back!
The journey will just be a bit longer but this is my choice.

Your situation might be very different so talk to your consultant! They can help you come to an informed conclusion!

XX
ICSI Jan 2006 - BFP
MC one twin at 6 weeks
DS born in Oct 2006

Children: 2 - son Isa (6) and daughter Anouk (2)

Monday, April 7th 2008, 11:16am

I dont know if this helps, but I was advised to only have 1 transferred, and this was a hatching blasto.

The reasons they gave were that as we had blasto's, and I'm young(ish) the chances of a twin pregnancy if we had 2 transferred would be high (about 50%), and all the risks that go with twin pregnancies and all that.

They said if we only transferred 1 we had a 50-55% chance of success, and if we transferred 2, this could be 60-70% chance of success, so would be higher.

But we also had embryo's for freezing, so they suggested transferring 2 in a FET cycle next time instead of now. This all kind of made sense to me, and whilst we would really have quite liked twins, we also wanted to put the babies health first, not our own preferences. Fortunately for us, it worked.... and there is always that chance of identical twins thereafter! Maybe you just need to see the cycle through and make a decision when you know how many embryo's you have? Good luck x x x
Mum to Isa (6, and who has Cystic Fibrosis) & Anouk (2). 1st ICSI+PGD 2008. BFP! 4 blasto frosties. 1st FET Sept 2011, amazing BFP! x

Monday, April 7th 2008, 12:07pm

Thank you all for your thoughts... :smile:

Do you know how I can get an appointment with doctor to discuss this? (I am having treatment in NHS, it may take 3 months for the appointment!!!) or do we get to see them during egg collection etc,, sorry, just dont have a clue as it is my first treatment.

Chatterbox, I read somewhere the rate of multiple pregnancy is much higher in young woman.

Twinkletoes, my hubby is not taking anything for the sperm, he had testicular torsion when he was a child and doc thinks that might be the reason for low count.also he has ulcerative colitis, an inflammatory bowel condition for which he takes some tablets which can reduce the swimming capacity of the sperm. so we really have to go for ICSI, but all depends on the sperm quality on the day.

Perdita, were you a private patient/NHS? I think I will be very happy if they give me an option to do the same - blastocyst transfer. To be honest, I dont mind if it happens to be a twin after one embryo transfer, so no guilty feelings even if something go wrong.

ICSI May 2008 - BFN
1st August- :BFP: (natural)

Baby Girl born on 04/04/2009

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Monday, April 7th 2008, 12:15pm

I am having 2 put back (if I am lucky enough to get two embryos) and I am taking the 1 in 4 chance it will be twins.

DP and I have discussed it and so far as we are concerned, if its twins we will manage! haha sounds so naive when I see it written down.

My clinic said it increases chance of one successful implantation and I am willing to risk it. Its a peronsal choice though and once you need to make with your DH and doctors.

Best of luck hon
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 17th 2008

Children: 21 year old son and 24 year old son

Monday, April 7th 2008, 12:25pm

Hi
I agree you have to make the choice between you and your cons. All we can do is advise and tell you our stories but the final decision has to be yours. We are having 3 embryos put back each time as we are both over 40 and they say this increases the chance of one taking but there is also a risk of all three taking!!!! Triplets at 41 oh my god!! but the way i see it after everything you put youselves through to get a baby then you have to thank your lucky stars for how ever many you get. 3 Just means more slepless nights !!!
:goodluck: everyone
:xxx3:

Me 45 DF 44
1 m/c 2004
1st ICSI BFP Mm/c 11 weeks 2008
4 ICSI x 4 BFN[/color
2 x DE cycle BFN
2x FET DE cycle BFN
1 x FET DE cycle BFP!!!!!!!

Children: 2 - son Isa (6) and daughter Anouk (2)

Monday, April 7th 2008, 1:41pm

Hi Anita. It was an NHS cycle. I'm glad that we were given the choice of 1 or 2 (I think some clinics make the choice for you), but to be honest, they did really encourage us to choose just 1.

Also, in our case we were having treatment due to genetic risks (of passing on CF to the child) not fertility problems, so we had the added knowledge that we can and have been pregnant before, which helped. Also, we'd chosen to have IVF even though we could get naturally pg because we wanted a healthy child, it seemed a bit silly to then add to the risk of problems by choosing to transfer 2 when they weren't really advising it. It wasn't about whether we wanted / could cope with twins, it was about that child (same reason as we might be able to cope with a second child with CF, but its not about us as parents, its about that child).

Although obviously I'm not suggesting anyone is wrong to go with 2 at all (in fact we will on a FET cycle in future as they recommended this) and clearly the risks involved with twin pregnancies are very small, it was just the right choice for us given the above reasons, and the fact that we had some great blasto's. Good luck.... I'm sure you'll get lots of chances to discuss this with your team during the tx. x x x
Mum to Isa (6, and who has Cystic Fibrosis) & Anouk (2). 1st ICSI+PGD 2008. BFP! 4 blasto frosties. 1st FET Sept 2011, amazing BFP! x

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE