You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Chilli

Megastar

• "Chilli" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 8:54pm

Confused!

Ok it's not hard for me to get confused and i feel that I haven't started a mind boggling thread for a while :D I like to keep you all on your toes with my difficult dillemas.....especailly Bells :D

I gave M some apple today!! she loved it, she started to wake every two hours so I thought ok enough is enough she is just over 5 months so more than ready i think.

My problem is yesterday i gave her a FF, well my MIL did as she would not take the bottle from me and kept trying to flip bckwards holding her breath and going as stiff as a broom stick, me thinks I could possibly have a drama queen on my hands! Anyway she took 3oz eventually and this is something i need to introduce slowly as as most of you know i will be going back on Metformin ......my question (at last after my rambling sorry Bells I am stealing your thunder :D :D) is at what point should I give her water??? ?( ?(
I have looked through my books and can't find a thing about stopping BF at 6 months to formula they only talk of solids.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Chilli" (Oct 14th 2006, 8:54pm)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 9:31pm

Ho Ho! So you think I ramble do you? *humph* well....

suppose you're right :D

I would say that if you're supplementing with formula, supplement with water. Although breastmilk alone is perfectly adequate when it's exclusive, when you introduce solids or formula you upset the balance somewhat and need to offer a drink in a beaker IF ONLY to get baby used to drinking normally, ie: she may not take very much at all.

Another way to think about it is to look at the milk you're feeding her and figure out what the protein content is, newborn milk is closes to breastmilk in composition that's casein (or curds, the solid stuff) 20% and whey (the liquid stuff) 80%. Babies fed purely on this composition may not be 'thirsty' but move them on to a next stage milk for example casein 60% and whey 40% then you are giving them less liquid in total. Factor in some solid food and the balance of solid to liquid in the diet has shifted significantly.

So yeah, offer some water (no juice, just water) after her food or formula.

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 10:18pm

Thanks Bells ....my head hurts! I have had to get a bigger bag to fit all the stuff in!

Reg: Oct 7th 2005

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 11:53pm

Chili - ok, I started DS on pear & banana (from a jar - sue me ;) ) because he hated baby rice, at around 5.5 months.

I took about a month to slowly drop breastfeeding, and replaced the 4 feeds with formula feeds. However, DS WAS used to taking a bottle as I went back to work when he was 14 weeks old :( so he had to be - he took EBM in the bottle. to be honest he had no trouble accepting formula (once we worked out that he was allergic to cows milk) from a bottle.

At 8.5 months, I still offer him 4 feeds of 9 oz formula bottles each day, and don't offer water. He gets 3 servings of food as well. I always offer food or formula, and let him decide how much he wants to take or not. that seems to work for us.

Saturday, October 14th 2006, 11:54pm

ps Bells doest ramble, she ramples ;)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Sunday, October 15th 2006, 12:39am

Quoted

Originally posted by Sunshine
ps Bells doest ramble, she ramples ;)

:P **ppplllllllllll!* (that's me blowing you a raspberry!)

Sunday, October 15th 2006, 6:18am

:]

:P

anyway, ignoring the rude bint in the corner, Chili - I forgot to say - I have DS on Soya stage 1 formula as it is for 0-12 months. I didnt think he needed the stage 2 (6+ months) one, as I dont want him to get constipated and I would rather he took his liquids in formula rather than water or juice, but that is just my personal choice.

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Sunday, October 15th 2006, 6:26pm

Thank you Sun i was going to PM you as I knew you stopped BF at 6 months. I have bought Aptamil first stage which she seems quite happy with, she had 3oz yesterday and 3oz tonight she won't take anymore than that.

She also WILL NOT take the bottle from me so i am gogint o let DH feed her at night before bed and BF during the day trying a bottle when I can, just going to do it really slowly and then the blow of stopping BF may not hurt so much! ;(

I have offered her water today from a cup which she took :] and she had a big poo about 3 hours after her apple lunch, for a baby who only poos once a week this seems odd to me as she poo'd yesterday aswell!

I haven't bothered with baby rice just gave her apple straight away she seems fine and today hasn't had so much milk just two BF feeds and 3 oz bottle seems weird to have my boobs tucked in most of the day!!! :D :D

Saz

Sunday, October 15th 2006, 6:33pm

Aww hun!!

Do it at yours and M's pace. Don't really know what else to say!

xx

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Monday, October 16th 2006, 4:21pm

DS1 wouldn't take the bottle from me either, just like M, Chilli. It meant that we had two struggles - one where DS1 learnt to take the bottle from DH, and then when that was mastered, where he had to learn to take the bottle from me. In retrospect, that was a bit easier once he'd given in to the bottle in the first place.

I'm putting it off a bit with DS2, I have to confess - still 100% breast, but wishing I could start one feed a day with formula soon. I find that they only take what they *need* with a bottle if they prefer the breast, so 3oz doesn't surprise me, even if M would usually take more from the breast. If you gave her only formula, she'd take more because she'd have to!

On the subject of drinking, what is people's experience with a cup (tell me if I should start a new thread)? How many people have gone straight to an open-topped cup rather than a spouted one? This question is probably only relevant to babies who are exclusively breastfed and not used to bottles. Is it worth giving milk and water from an open-topped cup now, and so bypass the bottle issue?
Had a total of three fresh IVF cycles and three frozen transfers (embryos and blastocysts)
m/c @ 11 weeks in 2007 DS1 and DS2 born from fresh IVF cycles :D
:D

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, October 16th 2006, 6:24pm

I didn't go to open top cups so young purely from a spillage point of view, instead gave anything other than a breastfeed in a lidded beaker of some description. They do like to do things themselves and it's torture watching that water splash around while the child gets only a few drops in his/her mouth. Even now we have beakers just to save on mess although DD is perfectly able to drink from a class, cup, straw, sports cap etc...

I wouldn't even bother with bottles Limpet, a cheapo sippy cup/lidded beaker is much less hassle.

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Monday, October 16th 2006, 7:38pm

Yesterday DH gave her the bottle and she again only took 3oz but she feed ok, tonight however she would not have it I tried two different bottles she just about managed 1 oz, I think it comes out too fast she seems to choke on it gets herself up the wall then the silent face of terror appears and one almighty scream!!!!!!!!!!!!! so i am going to put the 1st teat on again for tomorrow to see if that helps.

Also last night she woke up at 1.30am and stayed awake till 5.30am shouting and laughing - she obviously wanted the world to know she was awake, I am exhausted I thought FF were the magic sleeping liquid :(

should I do this transition quicker? maybe offer her bottles throughout the day, I suppose she must be a bit confused one minute i am BF then suddenly at night she has a plastic teat shuffed in her mouth!

I haven't tried an open cup want to do one thing at a time but she has had a spouted cup from vital babies 4+ months she seems okay with it.

Monday, October 16th 2006, 7:42pm

I started DD on a cup (doidy) very early on as she wouldn't take a bottle, from memory 3/4 months I think. Felt a complete waste of time at the time but now I can see it was worthwhile as she manages a cup much better than other babies her age. I use a doidy cup at home and a tommy tippee cup when out - never use ones with valves (if they have them I take them out) as DD doesn't know what to do with them! She still can't suck from a bottle but I must admit I've relented and started to give her some FF in a beaker mid morning and mid afternoon just so that she gets enough milk and to save me expressing (its sooo boring!) I've now dropped to 2-3 feeds a day which has made a massive difference. Now DD is getting older she is getting more exploritive and keeps trying to dip her hands in the cup though :rolleyes:

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Monday, October 16th 2006, 7:57pm

That's good to know Primrose I have just ordered the doidy cup, my HV has given me details on it in that is said that exclu BF babies use the same sucking technique as they would with the cup?! anyway I am sure we will get into a mess but that's the fun of it....isn't it????

Monday, October 16th 2006, 8:06pm

yes be prepared for soaking wet clothes and furniture :D but they get there in the end, I mean you don't see many teenagers missing their mouths when they are downing their pints do you ;)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, October 16th 2006, 8:16pm

You could've had my Doidy cup! Sick of seeing it in my cupboard! Next person to mention trying one is getting it posted to them!!!! :D

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Monday, October 16th 2006, 8:22pm

Oh I forgot you offered it to me before sorry Bells!!

Saz

Monday, October 16th 2006, 8:30pm

Sorry.... feel I am missing something here!! What is the doidy cup??

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Monday, October 16th 2006, 8:41pm

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Chilli" (Oct 16th 2006, 8:42pm)

Saz

Monday, October 16th 2006, 9:13pm

Oooh, like the look of those!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, October 16th 2006, 9:14pm

Do you want one? :D

Saz

Monday, October 16th 2006, 9:14pm

Seriously considering!! Might get R to take water that way!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, October 16th 2006, 9:18pm

If you want it just pm me your address and I'll send it to you. It's pink and been used ummmmmm maybe twice :rolleyes:

Saz

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 9:04am

Fanks for the cup Bells

**MWAH**!!

Will try it out when R gets home from nursery!!

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 12:16pm

:D Get your mac, wellies and brolly out! Has she got a waterproof bib? :D

Saz

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 12:26pm

No!! I guess I should do this in kitchen then were its lino :D :D

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 12:35pm

Aye...... ;) Probably best.... especially if you end up having one of those tug of war type things with the full cup :D

Saz

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 1:07pm

Ohhh, can't wait for her to wake up now to have a go!!

Saz

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 1:31pm

She took a bit!!!!! Pulled a face mind, but she drunk water :D

IRISH

• "IRISH" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Jul 15th 2006

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 1:32pm

excellant saz...is the kitchen still in one piece? :D

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "IRISH" (Oct 18th 2006, 1:33pm)

Saz

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 1:33pm

Yup! Was brave and did it in the room!! She didn't try to take it off me 8o

IRISH

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 1:34pm

awww shes got the hand of it....someone ought to have a word with joe...destruction derby everytime i feed him :D :D

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 1:49pm

:D I'm sure she'll get the hang of it in no time!

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 2:25pm

Well done Saz and r of course. i am still waiting for mine to arrive, but I did try her with the vital baby cup today again and she drank qute alot of water, she then about 2 hours later did a nice big carrot poo ummmm weaning is so much fun X( :D

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Chilli" (Oct 18th 2006, 2:26pm)

Saz

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 2:32pm

I'm still only getting very smal pebble poo's, or little slugs as DH calls them!!

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 7:47pm

To me they look exactly the same as what I've fed her - pear even smells the same!

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 8:03pm

Yes so does M's poo, still gooey but carrot smelling and bright orange!

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 8:10pm

any lumps of carrot go straight through as they are too ?(

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 8:15pm

I make it so pureed that she could drink it!

Bagpuss

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 8:19pm

hehe! I thought I had too but some small bits escaped! ;)

Saz

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 8:29pm

R's don't!!

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 8:43pm

You wait until they start on peas and sweetcorn- they really do come out as they went in........ :D

IRISH

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 8:57pm

why is that? something scientific now rose... :D

Rose

Star

Reg: Oct 12th 2005

Children: now have little boy!

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 9:01pm

:D Weeeeellllll, basically it's cos their little digestive systems can't break down the outer shells (husks)on that sort of veg, so they digest the middle bit but the outer bit comes out looking like how it went in!

See- is that scientific enough???????

IRISH

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 9:42pm

for now.. ;)

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 10:25pm

**the sweetcorn theory also applies to adults...and cats!**

:O

IRISH

Wednesday, October 18th 2006, 10:28pm

way tmi bells :D :D :D

Chilli

Megastar

• United Kingdom

Thursday, October 19th 2006, 6:49am

OMG does the ability to beable to talk about poo freely and graphically start after you have been throught labour??

Saz

Thursday, October 19th 2006, 7:03am

I know!! The number of conversations I have had about nappy contents is unbelievable!!!

Bagpuss

Thursday, October 19th 2006, 7:52am

Yup & doing the examination of the nappy when there is a poo in it. One of the things I swore I would never do lol!!!!! :P

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE