You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Nigirl

• "Nigirl" started this thread

Reg: Feb 23rd 2018

Wednesday, March 14th 2018, 10:07pm

1st Appointment

I rang the appointments office yesterday and was told my referral had been received and it is being sent to the consultant so they can ‘Grade’ it and see when I can get my first initial appointment, the fella said this should take around a week.......By reading this thread I’ve a long road ahead of me.....can anyone fill me in on the process?? Timeframe etc??? What to expect???

Many thanks

[list][*][/list]

Anniemc

Reg: Mar 13th 2018

Wednesday, March 14th 2018, 10:09pm

I’m not sure I can help much but to give you some timeframe , I went on list on 20th June and still waiting on my letter. In relation to the process I can’t really help much but would also like to know more so hopefully more answers x

Reg: Mar 24th 2017

Thursday, March 15th 2018, 7:36am

Everyone will be different really but I was referred by my gp, took around 6 weeks for a letter to arrive then another few weeks until my first appointment at the rfc. In the mean time my hubby had an appointment for a sperm sample. On our first appointment they took bloods and a few other tests and we were told that hubbys sample was low in volume. Hubby was sent for another sperm sample then a review appointment after that. We were told my hubby had a blockage and there were zero sperm in his ejaculate and that our only chance was ICSI. I wanted to agree to this there and then but hubby wanted time to think about it so we went away and had another review appointment in 3 months. Then we had to book a biopsy for hubby to make sure they could retrieve sperm or we would have had to consider doner sperm. Thankfully they were able to get some sperm but not enough to freeze. We returned a few weeks later on 16th May 2017 to get onto the waiting list. We habe only just had our first blood screening appointment on Monday and our pre treatment consultation is on Tuesday, so from getting on the list until first appointment was just short of 10 months. It was Feb 2016 that I first went to my gp about it so in all the whole thing took just over 2 years to get where I am now. It's a long process, but I'm sure it'll be worth it in the end.
As I say everyone's experience will be different, for example they don't always jump straight to IVF/ICSI. I think they will try IUI etc first but that wasn't an option with us. I hope this helps! I know the waiting is horrible, just try to keep busy don't don't dwell on it too much if you can, then the time goes quicker x

CQCQ

Ace

Reg: Jul 7th 2017

Thursday, March 15th 2018, 6:24pm

Janelle your story is pritty much the exact same as mine lol we dnt have any sperm frozen either so on my EC day hubby will have biopsy at the same time!! X

Along

Reg: Mar 17th 2018

Tuesday, March 20th 2018, 8:45pm

Hi. Im new on here. Just been referred to rfc due to husbands very low sperm count and poor motility. I want to ask how long til first appointment and then how long til review when we can be put on list. Also can i book first consultation privately or is it just the review one if getting treatment on nhs.
I will be 39 this august so need to get put on list asap any advice welcome

Along

Wednesday, March 21st 2018, 2:00pm

Hi. Im new on here. Just been referred to rfc due to husbands very low sperm count and poor motility. I want to ask how long til first appointment and then how long til review when we can be put on list. Also can i book first consultation privately or is it just the review one if getting treatment on nhs.
I will be 39 this august so need to get put on list asap any advice welcome

[list][*][/list]

Reg: Mar 24th 2017

Wednesday, March 21st 2018, 2:55pm

Hey Along, it took us quite a while before getting on the waiting list. We were refered by our gp in Feb 16, got an appointment at rfc in about 6-8 weeks then had tests done (semen analysis a couple of times, blood tests etc) along with a few review appointments to discuss the results. It wasn't until May 17 that we actually got out on the list and only just now getting started with treatment. As you have already got the semen analysis done and know the results it may go quicker for you. I don't know much about booking the consultation privately but it might be worth phoning and asking them what the different in waiting time would be. Good luck x

Reg: Oct 12th 2017

Wednesday, March 21st 2018, 4:32pm

Hi Along, We were similar to Janelle!! My time frame was very long. I was referred by GP in March 2016, then 1st app end of April 2016 whole process with my tests and partners SA and then results took us to October 16. We were not signed on list until the following April 27th 2017; as we were unexplained the DR sent us away to try for 6months naturally again and I am just starting treatment now.
So it took us just shy of 2 years from GP referral until I am starting sprays in the morning. xx

Nigirl

Friday, March 23rd 2018, 9:14pm

Thanks girls, it’s always good to know what I’m up against.....
I expected a letter to confirm the referral or to explain the process but nothing......maybe a letter only arrives when it’s time for the first appointment??

Gaz79

Reg: Feb 24th 2018

Monday, March 26th 2018, 9:59pm

Hi Along

Given your circumstances (and if we were doing it again) I'd pay for both initial appointment and review appointment. I have similar problems to your husband and it turned out there was some clues to the reason for it in my blood results. In my case it wasn't good news. (not the end of the road but a set back which meant end of the road with the rfc).

I think we went into all appointments thinking each one would be good news and bring us one step closer. But when you think about it, if it is to be bad news or a set back the sooner you know the better.

Check out some of my other posts for a bit more info on the process as we experienced it.

Nigirl

Tuesday, March 27th 2018, 3:37pm

Cheers Gaz, I’ll take a read here, thanks

Along

Tuesday, March 27th 2018, 4:20pm

Hi Gaz
Thanks for the info. How do i go about booking 1st and review appt. Privately and then continue on to nhs list.
Thanks

Nigirl

Monday, April 16th 2018, 12:52am

Cheers Gaz for the heads up, we have rang and booked a private initial appointment - it’s the 9th May so not too long to wait...nhs were talking end of June start of July so it’ll speed us a good bit

Jo31

Reg: Aug 30th 2017

Monday, April 16th 2018, 10:28am

You’re right to do that, if I’d have thought or known about the private initial apt’s, I def would have booked them too.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE