You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Hope2015

• "Hope2015" started this thread

Reg: Jan 23rd 2015

Friday, January 23rd 2015, 6:17pm

Advised already ovulated at egg collection!!

I've been on the long protocol for icsi and today was egg collection day. The minute I came round the nurse was telling me there was no eggs collected. I was really shocked and cried as I hadn't prepared myself for this to happen!
I had at least 18 follicles on the scan 2 days previous!
Whilst I was in recovery blood was taken and I was then taken back to the ward.
The doctor then came to see me and said that I had ovulated early and that my blood confirmed this! He said that my body had not reacted as it should have with the drugs and that this can be taken into account on my next cycle (I luckily get 3 attempts) and that I will do the short protocol instead.
This happened Friday, what I'm concerned about is that I last had my bloods taken on the Saturday, I was also told on Saturday that I would be going in for egg collection on Wednesday and to return for a scan only (no bloods) on Monday. I returned Monday for just a scan and later that day was telephoned and told that egg collection would not be Wednesday but to return on Wednesday for just another scan (no bloods).
I attended Wednesday for a scan and was then told egg collection would be Friday and to take the pregnyl at 11pm Wednesday night.
I did 2 weeks burserelin 25ml? Then carried on with same dose of burserelin And 12 days gonal f 225 iu
I just feel like I have been put through that today for no reason and that a simple blood test could have avoided an unnecessary invasive procedure! What I really want to know which seems to make sense to me is whether the clinic have missed a trick by not doing my bloods on Monday and Wednesday?
I have to wait now for 2 normal periods to pass.
Would love to hear from anyone who has had this happen to them or people who understand the monitoring procedure as I feel at this point that human error has robbed me of the best first go at this :-( Also any reassurance that this couldn't have been avoided would help. I have read on here that this is very rare but can happen.

Curlytails

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:baby:

Friday, January 23rd 2015, 6:52pm

I'm really sorry that you've experienced this. I've never heard of it before and am shocked it can happen. I don't know whether extra blood tests would have picked up ovulation but you should ask on your review appointment. If there is any consolation it is that you still have a couple more tries and that they will have learned so much about you from this cycle.

Take care of yourself xx

Reg: Apr 27th 2012

Children: One beautiful boy. Centre of our world.

Friday, January 23rd 2015, 9:20pm

Hello

I'm really sorry this has happened to you. I used two clinics and they always did blood tests - E2 (Oestradiol) - on the day of each scan. I would say this is important, particularly as you approach the time when it would mature. Also, one of my clinics used to check the eggs were still there by scanning before putting me under - as you say, it is an unnecessary invasive procedure and a sedation.

Ask some questions, perhaps get a second opinion if you can. Who did the monitoring? Were they new to it perhaps?

Again, am very sorry - such a huge disappointment.

BTW - it sounds like you are doing NHS cycles. It might be that this try won't even count as you didn't have any eggs collected. You should definitely seek clarification.

Take care
Jenny x

Hope2015

Saturday, January 24th 2015, 9:38am

Thanks for the replies I am going to get a second opinion from another clinic hopefully before my review appointment on Thursday. The best thing would be that they accept this cycle does not count but I think I'm clutching at straws and you feel that you should shut up and put up in the hope that the next cycle will work. Will keep you updated.

Hope2015

Saturday, January 24th 2015, 10:08am

Can anyone confirm when they had their last bloods done prior to collection?

Saturday, January 24th 2015, 9:44pm

Hi

don't put up and shut up - this is too important.

I always had bloods before my scan. I would then be scanned and a plan of action (increase in dosage of stims, maintenance of dosage, or scheduling of collection) would follow BUT it was always provisional upon them getting the blood results back in the afternoon. I was always called to be told how my bloods were. If I remember correctly - and I am not a medical person - there was a correlation of 1 egg to 500 units (don't know what it is) of E2. So, 4 eggs should mean an E2 result of 2000, for example. Maybe someone more trained can answer this better??

In terms of E2 bloods before collection, they were always done on the day of trigger, or, at the latest, the day before that (i.e the last day of stimulation).

Hope this helps
xx

Onewish

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 24th 2010

Children: one beautiful daughter at last!

What's Up?
Will we, won't we...?

Sunday, January 25th 2015, 3:04am

On most of my cycles I rarely had my bloods taken and they monitored mainly by scan However this never has happened to me and I do believe a blood test would have prevented so much heartache for you. I think y o u should really express your concerns over this. Good luck. X

Net

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Sunday, January 25th 2015, 8:08am

I had blood tests done before EC xx

Pip

Reg: Feb 11th 2013

Children: 1 Labradoodle, my furry baby

Sunday, January 25th 2015, 9:44am

Hi hope, it's terrible that this has happened, u deserve a full explanation, and it should not count as one of your tries. I had bloods taken 2 days b4, the day they told me to do the trigger, they done scan and blood in the morning and phoned me after bloods came back telling me when to do trigger
xx

Hope2015

Saturday, January 31st 2015, 9:31am

I was told at the follow up appt that this happens to one ladt a year at their clinic! They said my bloods would not have picked it up?? It is classed as one of my cycles also ;(

Sunday, February 1st 2015, 6:29pm

Hello

that seems harsh to me. Is it NHS or private? I just don't know for sure re the bloods, but it doesn't sound right to me.

Why don't you ask an expert - Professor Winston does this for free as far as I know. http://www.robertwinston.org.uk

Good luck
xxx

Hope2015

Wednesday, February 11th 2015, 8:51am

Thanks jenny I have asked the question on the link you provided and will let you know if I hear anything. I'm nhs. I messaged a private clinic and they said I would need to refer to them to be told anything which makes it all just feel Abit like business !!