You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Blissfull" started this thread

Reg: May 10th 2014

Saturday, May 10th 2014, 7:14pm

Too much hormone and egg quality

Hey everyone!

I was wondering if any of you very experienced ladies has some knowledge on how detrimental it can be for egg quality to get too much hormone-stim or the wrong sort?

I just had my first IVF last month and had no fertilisation. Its not a sperm issue, since Im using donor sperm.

I was on Down regulaton for 2 weeks, then 17 whole days on max dose Menopur - my eggs grew REALLY slowly on this hormone.

At retrieval the lab technician said they looked good and mature. But after 2 days none had fertilised. One of the eggs had what could look like a thickish zona. Otherwise they looked good/normal.

Hope some of you have some interesting insight into this!

xx Freya

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Blissfull" (May 10th 2014, 7:16pm)

Reg: May 30th 2010

Sunday, May 11th 2014, 8:38pm

I was told different stimulation can work better for different ladies. I have no clue what could have caused no fertilisation but it is definitely something very important to take into account and I would certainly not spend my money (or use up a free go) on any more treatment until I get answers.

How did your clinic monitor your cycle? Was you oestrogen level measured?

In my personal experience the eggs I produced were not too great (but some still fertilised) on the cycle on the highest dose of my 3 cycles.

Best of luck xx
Rianon

Sunday, May 11th 2014, 8:47pm

no monitoring

Thank you Rianon!

No they dont monitor your hormone levels here during stims, they just want your FSH and AMH before starting treatment.

I only had 2 eggs retrieved out of 3 mature follicles, so Im hoping it was just a bad cycle, but I have a feeling it was the very long and very heavy-dosed cycle.

Im having a cycle off hormones and have 2 eggs, so I might go for ICSI with 'Eco-eggs' next week.

xx

rb76

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 28th 2009

Children: One angel and her twin, our gorgeous little miracle

What's Up?
Looking forward to 2014 :)

Monday, May 12th 2014, 7:52am

The other option to consider is to use gonal f instead of menopur, I always stemmed much better on gonal f x

Monday, May 12th 2014, 5:46pm

Thanks RB 76! When u say you stim better on Gonal, do you just mean you make MORE follies, or also BETTER follies?
My doctor, unfortunately, has something against Gonal F, as he seems to think it ruins egg quality.And he would never admit that it could be his high dose Menopur that ruined my eggs last month.

rb76

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 28th 2009

Children: One angel and her twin, our gorgeous little miracle

What's Up?
Looking forward to 2014 :)

Monday, May 12th 2014, 6:18pm

It was better egg quality for me because I had much less fragmentation of embryos on gonal f.

It was the clinic who suggested the change of stimulation drug and when I read up on it I found there's a fair amount of evidence to suggest different drugs work better for different people. One of them (I can't remember which) includes just LH and the other LH and FSH (sorry I forget the details it's a long time ago..)

So I think it might just be the opinion of your particular consultant!

Having said that I didn't get pregnant with either of them and ended up needing donor eggs so perhaps it's not so relevant..

Reg: May 30th 2010

Tuesday, May 13th 2014, 12:49am

Hi again,

I was also told the same that different people do better on different drugs and while for some Menopur is great others need Gonal F instead. All doctors have their own beleifs though, I was always given a mixture of the two drugs.

However if you are not monitored I would seriously consider choosing another clinic as if someone is overstimulated it can be very dangerous. I was very closely monitored, I had a blood test every day and a scan every two days. I know not every clinic is the same but they do some sort of monitoring at least in the last couple of days leading to egg collection.

If you were not monitored how was it decided to carry on stimming for so long?

Eco-eggs sound great, good luck :-)
xx

Tuesday, May 13th 2014, 7:38pm

monitoring

Dear Rianon,

they dont monitor u here in Denmark, they scan you and keep stimming untill eggs are big enough. The monitoring you have tried sounds wonderfully thorough, wish it was like this here.... 8| :rollseyes: