You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Buzzbee

• "Buzzbee" started this thread

Reg: Apr 14th 2009

Children: A son and daughter - our family is complete :)

What's Up?
Absolutely love being a mum of 2 but OMG it is hard work and very tiring! Wouldn't change it for the world though :)

Thursday, March 6th 2014, 9:10am

How did you potty train?

Hi All

Just after some tips and advice on potty training please. My DS is just over 2 and a half and for the past few weeks (for a majority of the time) he has been weeing on the potty or toilet (also known as Buzz Lightyears Spaceship!). We have been putting him in pull ups and when he remembers he will wee on the potty or ask to go and wee on the spaceship :) However, he is not comfortable doing a number 2 on the potty or toilet. When I ask him to tell me when he wants a poo he always tells me after he has done it and if I ask him to sit on the potty when I think he wants a poo he replies 'no I don't like it'. I don't want to force it so I am quite happy to let him lead me and when he feels more comfortable he will do it when he's ready so for now he wears pull ups all day so he has the option to go when he wants as he can pull them up and down himself.

Nursery are happy to assist but one of the staff said we are confusing him by allowing him to wear pull ups whereas if we just let him wear underpants he will get that wet / dirty feeling and it should spur him on more. I put him in underpants on Sunday but by 9am he had 2 accidents including a poo. He even happily sat on the sofa and weed in the underpants and I didn't realise until he got off and it was wet (fortunately it's a leather settee!).

I know some parents commit to training and take time off work to do it but I just wondered if there are any parents out there who have took their time with it and allowed their LO to stay in pull ups and wait until they're ready to happily always go on the potty or toilet.

I am on maternity leave at the moment and was thinking about keeping him off nursery for a week and commit to training him but then I have a 6 month old at home, which will make it harder. Are there any parents out there who have potty trained their toddler and also have a young baby? If so how did it go and do you have any advice please?

DH and I are quite happy to just take our time with it but is this not helping DS and would commiting to training him more intensely be better? Is he ready for training properly yet based on what I have said? I forgot to add he has pooed a couple of times on the potty at nursery, spurred on by his friend who was potty training at the same time, but at home seems more fearful of it and not as comfortable.

Thanks xx
An almost 4 year old son and a 21 month old daughter :)

Buzzbee

What's Up?
Absolutely love being a mum of 2 but OMG it is hard work and very tiring! Wouldn't change it for the world though :)

Thursday, March 6th 2014, 11:51am

So after posting this my lovely friend came for a visit, who has 2 children, and gave me great advice on what to do re training. I'm going to bite the bullet and commit to training and prepare myself for lots of accidents :) I guess I was baffled because when he has a pull up on he will pull it down to wee on the potty or toilet but when he was wearing his underpants on Sunday he just weed in them. As my friend said they can easily forget at this age and be preoccupied in something else. I still have a lot to learn being a parent LOL!

What I would like to know is, when you went out and about did you put your LO in underpants / knickers and just hope for the best? What do you reckon to thise piddle pads for car seats? I know we will get cabin fever and being stuck in the house all week with a toddler and a baby will probably drive me crazy LOL but I guess it's the only way forward in training him.

I would still like to hear from those who did training when they had a baby too :thumbsup:

Thanks again.

BeeS

Ace

Reg: Oct 31st 2009

Children: Two little boys born March '11 and Sept '13

Thursday, March 6th 2014, 8:21pm

Hello BB!

I dont havr any advice, just following!!!

Ds1 is still in nappies too (almost 3). Despite occasional encouragement he has never even piddled on the potty / toilet. I don't want to push him but I can't wait to stop paying for two lots of nappies.

Life has just been too tricky up until now for all the accidents but I'm ready to give it a whirl some time soon, if he is!

Xx
Bee

PCO/Amenorrhea. Resistant to Clomid. Success with Gonal F ovulation induction.
DS1 born Mar 11 and DS2 born Sept 2013

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Buzzbee (07.03.2014)

Lisa Lou

Reg: Nov 1st 2008

Children: 2 gorgeous little Boys - our miracles!

What's Up?
I have the most gorgeous boys on the planet! x

Thursday, March 6th 2014, 8:59pm

Hi ya Hun, I'm in the same boat as you, DS has just turned 2 and my little one is just 7 months old and potty training is well under way in our house. He wears pants at home the majority of the time (with just a top,no trousers) and he has good days and bad, sometimes he will get on the potty all by himself and do a wee, other times he'll say quick mummy wee wee And other time he will just wet his pants! Today was the best day yet with zero accidents...which made us both very happy! He always wears a nappy out the house cause it really is bit and miss! The training pads sound like a great idea for the car I didn't know they existed. . We keep a potty out up and downstairs all the time and he has a potty training book which he loves to read whilst sitting on the potty and we have stickers and a song for when he does actually do which he finds very fun and exciting but like u I'm not convinced he is totally ready as he seems to have more accidents if he is consumed with something else or tired etc
I think we just need to persevere and it will happen in time, we just need to encourage it as much as possible.
I have found tho that him being naked on bottom makes him more aware and he is more likely to get on the potty all by himself.
The baby hasn't really interfered with the training just means I've got yet another thing to think about all day lol!
Will be interested on any tips anyone has x

Lisa Lou
babydust

ME: 30, PCOS
DH: 32, Low Count

1st ICSI: BFP miscarriage @ 9 weeks
2 natural BFP both lost @ 8 weeks

March 11 FET: Beautiful BFP!! Baby Jayden arrived safe and sound on 29/12/2011, he is perfect!!
December 2012 shock natural BFP!! Baby Shay arrived quickly on 28/07/2013, he is gorgeous!!

Buzzbee (07.03.2014)

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Friday, March 7th 2014, 7:37am

Hi my DS wasn't potty trained completely til nearly 3.5, he just wasn't ready. For the months before he would occasionally use the toilet and we also had a travel potty which I highly recommend! I am quite a relaxed person and my attitude to training was relaxed! Although he was late it was very easy! Initially we had a few pottys around the house but he soon learned that if his younger sister was getting attention he could soon get attention by saying he needed a wee! Eventually I put the pottys away and it was a few months until he started using the toilet. He literally had 1or 2 accidents for 3-4 days and they were at nursery so he was probably too busy. I didn't keep asking him if he needed a wee as it annoyed him! We only had 1 poo accident and within 3 weeks he was also dry at night. My advice would be to go at their pace as pushing it can lead to set backs. As for poos on the potty I think some of them look quite low so maybe not a comfy position for the child. I am going to take the same approach with DD, no rush and try to skip the potty (apart from travel potty) and go straight for loo! Good luck! X

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Buzzbee (07.03.2014)

Buzzbee

What's Up?

Friday, March 7th 2014, 8:51am

Thanks for your replies ladies. It's good to hear others are of the same mindset as me.

We have a potty downstairs, which has a sticker in and when he wees on it a dogs face appears, which he loves (would highly recommend - got off Amazon). When we're upstairs and mostly at bath time is when he will wee on the toilet and he loves flushing the chain and even though he doesn't use tissue as it's a wee he likes to put tissue down and watch it disappear. I definitely think making it more fun helps.

Lisa - those piddle pads get mixed reviews. I may put a plastic bag down and rip a hole in it for the harness to go through and put a hand towel on top. May not look as neat but may be just as effective. My friend came up with a great suggestion for when going out - she said she put her daughter in knickers and a pull up over the top so she still experienced that wet / dirty feeling and was able to tell her straight away, rather than the pull up soaking it up and them forgetting. I think I will try that with DS.

Fortunately nursery are being so supportive and happy for him to wear underpants all day and deal with any accidents. We just need to be consistent at home.

Jasper I am definitely with you on going at their pace and originally I wanted to skip the potty and just go to the toilet but as he started weeing on the potty at nursery I decided to use the potty at home and as I said the stickers definitely helped. How did you tackle the night time? Did he wake in the night for a wee? DS already has a waterproof cover on his bed. I was wondering whether to just tackle daytime first and let him wear a nappy at night and then deal with that later.

He is becoming much more independent with the potty too in that he wants to pull down his pants himself and doesn't want any help. This morning DH helped him pull his pants down after he said he wanted a wee but DS pulled them back up just so he could pull them down himself. The only problem is he hasn't yet grasped that he needs to push his willy down once he is sat down so it doesn't squirt out LOL so we had to change his pants bless him. We didn't make a fuss about it though we just said oh dear and laughed and then praised him for going on the potty.

Bee - I would recommend those stickers. Is your youngest weaned now? I said to DH typical DS is ready for potty training as I'm weaning DD! It's all good fun though.

Jasper - will have a look at those travel pottys. I saw a travel toilet seat too that looks good.

I think it would be nice to keep each other updated on our progress and any other useful tips :thumbsup:

Jasper

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: A boy and girl - ICSI and a natural miracle!

What's Up?
soooooo happy!!!!!!

Friday, March 7th 2014, 7:28pm

We put him in pull ups at night initially but night after night they were dry so we decided to go for it explaining that he would need to get up if he needed a wee. We had a few accidents and a few early starts as he wanted help going to the loo but now he gets up has a wee and goes back to bed if the sun isn't up on his Groclock! : D Because he was often getting up between 2am and 5am we take him for a 'dream wee' when we go up to bed! We get him out of bed, out him on the loo and tell him to do a wee, which he does and we put him back to bed and he barely wakes. This really depends on what your LO is like with sleeping I guess.

Jaspers Journey-My Diary

Feb 15 Shock BFP (8 o)

Reg: Feb 9th 2010

Children: 1 perfect boy born after icsi tx

Wednesday, April 9th 2014, 10:50pm

Going over old ground here but any tips really would be welcome, my ds is 3yrs 4mths. He knows all about going to he toilet, has gone several times on both the potty and the 'big' toilet. We have all the books, he's seen mummy and daddy going, he's seen older friends going, he could write a bloody book on it, but........

I decided on Sunday this would be the week we'd go for it. Ha ha foolish me. I put pants on him (thomas the tank that he picked himself) brought the potty into the kitchen/diner where we spend most of our time and set the timer for 30 mins which I was going to do all day. Within 20 mins we had gone through 3 pairs of pants. I explained again that when he needed a wee he just had to tell me and we'd pull the pants down and he'd go on the potty. He DID tell me he needed a wee but it was whilst standing up actually doing it. Then he'd sit down on the potty afterwards.

Does this mean he's just not ready? Any, and I mean any advice will be gratefully received. Thanks guys x

FET JAN 2012 - 2 embies :BFN:
2 still on ice for another day xfingers

My Diary

Reg: May 30th 2010

Thursday, April 10th 2014, 9:06pm

Hi Hopeful,

This sounds all good to me. Honest. You will look back in a couple of months time and wonder why it made you so stressed. Telling while doing is just a tiny step from telling before. You just have to train yourself to be able to stay calm :-) Do you have carpets? If so there are apparently some plastic wraps you can put on to protect.

Buzzbee, how is it going? Sorry I didn't read this post before although my daughter started using the potty when her sister was 3 months old (as you were looking for siblings). Anyway so many great advice on this thread. I am pretty sure it is all going great since but if any questions just shout.

xx Rianon

Buzzbee

What's Up?

Friday, April 25th 2014, 8:05pm

Hello

Sorry ladies, I haven't logged onto FZ for a while. Life is hectic with 2 LOL!

I'm pleased to report that my DS seems to be fully potty / toilet trained :thumbsup: Well in the day that is! Since February he has been in underpants (pull ups to start with) in the day and there has been many accidents along the way and a few tears. Wees were fine, although he did have the occasional accident. Number 2's were harder to crack and he seemed to have a real phobia of 'letting go'. Even with a pull up on he didn't want to as he knew he wasn't meant to wear a nappy so bless him he was holding it for a while and getting bad belly ache until eventually he could hold it in no longer so we did have a few poo accidents.

Then one day I decided to sit with him at the toilet and while he sat down on the toilet I sat on his step with a book and read it to him and wouldn't let him get off until he did a poo. He was complaining that his belly was sore so I gently rubbed it and his lower back to try and help him and although he did get a little upset he did poo and I swamped him with praise and reward stickers and a sweet. I did this everytime he wanted a poo and for the first few times he got upset but I just reassured him it was fine and then one day there was no tears and he just became more comfortable doing it and since weekend he has pooed without fuss and even on the potty without prompting. I had nipped in the kitchen and when I walked back in the living room he proudly told me he had pooed. I have to admit poos in the potty are gross! I was wondering how long I should leave it before I scrap the potty altogether as he happily goes on the toilet too, the potty is just more convenient as nearer. What did others do?

Hopeful H - my tips would be don't rush it (it took DS about 2.5 - 3 months to finally feel comfortable with it all and even now we still have the occasional accident. Reward with stickers fo decorate the potty - we did stickers for wees and a sweet for poos (he could go a day or two without a poo but now he is comfortable pooing we have changed the reward to stickers and he doesn't get it everytime now as slowly we'll just stop it plus his potty doesn't have much more room for stickers lol!

I think you should continue as you are and just prepare yourself for lots of accidents along the way. I bought loads of underpants as was forever washing them. I think he has about 40 pairs, all with his favourite characters on as they love that. Oh and in our potty we had a sticker that when the warm wee hit it a dogs face would appear. They really helped - got them off Amazon. My DS would often wet his pants because he hadn't pushed his willy down properly when sat on the potty so it would go on his pants and often on my carpet. In fact that was the main reason for accidents, not that he wet himself but that he just didn't take his pants down properly as my DS insisted on doing it himself but sometimes I had to help him as I knew he would wee on his pants.

I have yet to tackle being dry at night though. He still enjoys milk at bedtime and every morning he has a full nappy. I'm not in a huge rush to tackle bedtime to be honest. I'd be interested to know how others did it. I've started giving him his milk at least an hour before bed and he goes on the potty before I put the pull up on for the night but it is always full come morning. Would you reduce fluid intake in the evening? I was thinking of doing the dream wee that people have talked about so when I go to bed at c9pm pick him up out of his bed and put him on the toilet. The problem is when he has had a nap in the day is when he can have a wee accident. Not always. I suppose again it's inevitable he will wet the bed hence why you buy waterproof covers eh lol?!

I'm glad I didn't rush it and it was great that his nursery helped us too. It is fortunate that it coincided with me being on maternity leave too. It wasn't until yesterday that he finally felt comfortable pooing at nursery - he was holding it until he got home before that. Fingers crossed it will just become more and more comfortable to him now. He happily goes on the loo at other peoples houses so out and about should be fine too plus we bought a small potty for the car just in case.

How's everyone else getting on who is training?

xx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Buzzbee" (Apr 25th 2014, 8:09pm)