You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Chava" started this thread

Reg: Sep 29th 2010

Friday, December 20th 2013, 9:00pm

Progesterone or the Pill to induce period before IVF?

I have PCOS and need to induce a period before doing an IVF cycle.

I have previously used progesterone to induce a period in the past, taking it for 10 days or so, then starting bleeding a few days later.

I recently went to a gynaecologist about a matter unrelated to IVF but I told her we were planning a cycle for Janary and she said she thought the pill could be more appropriate in my case. Stupidly, I did not ask her why as I was focussed on not forgetting to ask the questions I had gone to discuss with her but as soon as I got home I started wondering why it would be more appropriate for me (my age? because I have PCOS?)

Has anyone been given any information on this?

Reg: Apr 27th 2012

Children: One beautiful boy. Centre of our world.

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 9:26am

Hi Chava

I don't have PCOS but my clinic put you on the pill for one to two cycles before you begin your IVF cycle. It is just to 'take control' of when you bleed, as far as I am aware. I wasn't keen on the idea, but it was fine. I did get some spotting on the pill. Apparently that is to do with the oestrogen not being quite as high as it would be in my normal cycle, but it is nothing to worry about. In your case, I would guess it would be for the same reason really - to make sure that you have a bleed before you start your IVF cycle. I'm not a medical person though, so just guessing really.

I would ask your IVF clinic to confirm what they want to do. I wouldn't have thought your gynaecologist would just prescribe something without the IVF consultant's go-ahead, but just to be sure.

Best of luck

jenny x
One beautiful boy born in 2010 but multiple attempts for a sibling very sadly had to stop.

• "Chava" started this thread

Reg: Sep 29th 2010

Sunday, December 22nd 2013, 12:58pm

Thanks for the reply Jenny

Progesterone works in the same way as the pill for bringing on a cycle.

I have always taken progesterone in the past to bring on the cycle and we are going with a different clinic this time but they just kind of wnt along with what we have always done (we have done 4 cycles and had one baby.)

The gynaecologist said to me "You're taking progesterone? I would have thought the pill would be more suitable for you but I'm not your doctor..."

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE