You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

stidds

• "stidds" started this thread

Reg: Jan 12th 2006

Wednesday, September 20th 2006, 1:56pm

IUI treatment update.

I thought I would give you guys an update of our 'journey'.

Here is a link to my original thread: Been offered IUI (your help appreciated)

Wow, where does half a year go???

Have been on to the site a few times, but this year has been so busy for Jo and I. What with holidays, family fun and games and my training for a new career, the months just fly.

After our appt with the consultant in May to discuss the treatment dates. We were informed that we could start the IUI treatment in late June/beginning of July, however we had a holiday scheduled for that time and even though we could go ahead with the treatment whilst on holiday we decided to enjoy the holiday and have a great time without the worry of drugs and injections.

After our holiday (which turned out to be superb) we started our treatment in August, Jo started her sniffing (Buserelin) recently and today was the day for her to have her 1st blood test done, to see if she is ready to start the injections, actually read whether I am ready to DO her injections (I am ok with the technique, just scared whitless about hurting her whilst doing it). I was a bit upset that I couldn't go with her for her blood test this morning as I have been to every appointment with her so far, but I was on nightshift and just couldn't manage it.

Well the news was good, she is ready (am I?) and I am sat here writing this waiting for Jo to come home from work and we are then off to the hospital (St. Michael’s, Bristol). This will be the test of whether I will be able to do the injections or not, it is not that I am a wuss (honest) but as I work shifts we have to work out whether it is possible for me to inject Jo at the same time every day as my shift cover is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, we also work 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am, so some days I may not be available to inject her.

Well that is my ramble over, I will update this later.
Sean

ttc: 6+ years / DW: 39 Hostile environment / Me: 41 Bad Swimmers
PCTs: not good / Lap&Dye: Tubes ok / Hyster: Bicornuate uterus
IUI: 2/9/06 BFP M/C 21/11 (ERPC) - 30/4/07 BFN - 5/8/07 BFN
ICSI: 6/08 (private) 2 embies BFN - 11/08 (NHS) 2 embies BFN - 4/10 (private) 2 embies BFN

• "Tabithasecret" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Sep 27th 2005

Wednesday, September 20th 2006, 2:04pm

Hi Sean!!

Long long long time no see ;)

Glad you had a good holiday - where did you go?

How has Jo been getting on with the buserelin.. it can taste pretty awful at times unfortunately.

Does Jo not want to inject herself with the stimms? (I guess if it's in her bottom I can understand that ;)).

Lisa
x

stidds

Wednesday, September 20th 2006, 2:08pm

Hi Lisa

It has been a while, things have been so hectic for us.

We went to Altinkum, Turkey. Never been to Turkey before, but my Parents own a big place out there so we spent 1 week with our 4 best friends (basically 1 week drunk) and then spent the 2nd week on our own. Had an amazing time.

Jo has been fine with the Buserelin, she says it tastes like crap, lol.

We haven't really been informed that she can inject the stimms herself, but we are going to speak to the hospital this afternoon. I have been practising a lot though so not too bad at it now. If I find I do not do the stimms myself then I may have a great career playing darts!!!!!
Sean

ICSI: 6/08 (private) 2 embies BFN - 11/08 (NHS) 2 embies BFN - 4/10 (private) 2 embies BFN

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "stidds" (Sep 20th 2006, 2:09pm)

Bagpuss

• "Bagpuss" is no longer a member of FZ

Wednesday, September 20th 2006, 2:14pm

Sean I hope all goes well with the jabs & the IUI

Good luck to you both

xxx

Wednesday, September 20th 2006, 2:19pm

Don't you dare throw darts at her!!! 8o :D

(you could do target practise... draw a bulls eye on her!!)

One hint - (probably said this before!)
If the meds are to kept in the fridge - take them out 1/2 hour or hour before you want to do them as it can be a little uncomfortable injecting very cold liquid

Keep positive for it all - IUI can work!

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Wednesday, September 20th 2006, 4:38pm

RE: IUI treatment update.

Quoted

Originally posted by stidds
Well the news was good, she is ready (am I?) and I am sat here writing this waiting for Jo to come home from work and we are then off to the hospital (St. Michael’s, Bristol). This will be the test of whether I will be able to do the injections or not, it is not that I am a wuss (honest) but as I work shifts we have to work out whether it is possible for me to inject Jo at the same time every day as my shift cover is 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days a year, we also work 7am-7pm or 7pm-7am, so some days I may not be available to inject her.

Quoted

Quoted

Quoted

Wow Sean - you are going to St Michael's too! I have just got the ok from Dr Lambert to start IUI so got Ovulation Cons Apt on 31st October. Its amazing to find someone actually doing IUI at same hospital. Do you think they are great at that hospital so friendly the nurses?

All the best Sean and Jo for your IUI and keeping my fingers crossed for you.

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "SingingNun" (Sep 20th 2006, 4:39pm)

stidds

Wednesday, September 20th 2006, 5:23pm

Another update:

Just returned from appointment and everything went great, the injection was fine and Jo said she didn't feel a thing (I hope she was talking about the injection, lol). Have the confidence to do the jabs daily as the Nurse mentioned that they do not have to be done at the exact same time every day, just close(ish).

Lisa, thanks for the tip with regard to storage of the meds, is it best to keep the meds in the fridge? We were not informed by the nurse.

Lorraine, congratulations on your good news, we have had a lot of experience with St. Michael's now and I would say that we definately have our favourite Nurses, we definately didn't go well with one Nurse in particular, but that was probably a one off. I found that whenever we had to see Dr. Lambert, it was like waiting to see the Head Mistress at school when I was in trouble, she scared me a bit, lol.
Sean

• "SingingNun" is no longer a member of FZ
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 8th 2006

Children: Rebecca, born 12th March 2008

Wednesday, September 20th 2006, 5:53pm

I've PM'd you as I think I know which nurse you meant. But she means well.

Did the nurse say that the injection has to be done by another person or can you do it yourself. My DH does not think that he can come to the apt and I want to do it myself as he is needle phobic.

Definitely agree about Dr Lambert - she used to scare me rigid but now I can't say anything horrible about her - she is so lovely and willing to accept silly phone calls when necessary!

xxx Lorraine xxx

Me: 39 & DH: 42 ~ TTC: 5yrs; M/c@7.5wks (20/1/03) & became a mum after our 2nd IUI attempt in June 2007 to 6lbs 4ozs baby girl called Rebecca after an emergency caesarean section at 6.29am on 12th March 2008

Wednesday, September 20th 2006, 8:24pm

Sean - some meds will need to be kept inthe fridge - but they tell you if they do when you pick them up. My stims were puregon - they need to be fridged.

Where did you inject Jo - her leg or tummy?

Glad you ( and you Lorriane!) get on with those in the clinic. It makes such a difference when you can trust the people you see
Dave and I were also a little scared of our Consultant at Southmead - but after talking about many things (not just fertility) we grew to really trust her. This is one reason why I'm apprehensive about changing to IVF prviately... I will miss my Cons terribly. I' m not sure I will trust anyone else as much as her

stidds

Wednesday, September 20th 2006, 9:54pm

Lorraine, PM received, spot on with that guess!!!

The Nurse said that if I was unable to do it then it can be done by yourself in the leg or at your local GP's or that you can arrange for it to be done at St. Michael's on one of the wards. I cannot tell you how terrified I was of doing it to Jo but it honestly was a piece of cake.

Lisa, I am not sure of the meds I will look tomorrow (I am working on nightshift tonight) and see what is what. As for the injection, it was in her bottom, well the side of it anyway. The Nurse we had was superb and really re-assured me that I could do it.
Sean

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "stidds" (Sep 20th 2006, 9:55pm)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE