You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

cheenab

• "cheenab" started this thread

Reg: May 27th 2009

Children: 3 gorgeous boys Zachary, Finley and Teddy <3

What's Up?
Couldn't be any happier :D

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 8:52pm

Out and about walking your toddler

Would like some advice, and personal experiences if possible.
How is it every other toddler I see out and about is walking so nicely with there mummy!!!
My little monkey will just not walk properly, I know he's curious in everything and I'm never in a rush when I let him walk so he has time to explore, but now it's just 'his way' or throw himself on the floor and have a melt down!!!
I try distraction trying to point something out to get him walking again, it does help to a certain extent but then he gets distracted again with something he wants to do.. He hates being in his buggy so much now just screams!! So I let him walk as much as I possibly can without completely tiring him out!!!
It just seems every other toddler seems to walk so much better, without trying to compare him to others!!!
He's such an independent little boy, and I guess we do let him get his own way to much.. I just need some advise really how do you all deal with walking your toddlers when out and about?
I have reins that he wears, I like using them because if he trips I can quickly pull him up before he hits the ground and to stop him running in the road!!! My friends little girl is a couple of wks older than ds and she said that she just walks along next to her perfectly!!! Talk about making me feel like I'm doing something wrong!!! I know he would just run off!! And he never seems to care if I say bye and go to walk the other way, he just carries on going the way he wants to, unless a stranger speaks to him then he comes running back to me!!!

I'm rambling now!!! Any advise ladies for a slightly stressed mummy :(
FET August 2011-1 Blastocyst onboard :BFP:
Zachary William born on 27/4/12 at 10.12am weighing 6lb 12oz
Shock natural BFP 15/3/15 :faint:
Finley Thomas born on 5/11/15 at 9.39am 7lb 14oz
Another shock natural BFP 6/8/16
Teddy George born on 30/3/17 at 4.34pm 7lb 9oz

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "cheenab" (Nov 21st 2013, 8:54pm)

Thursday, November 21st 2013, 10:58pm

Try not to compare with others are they are all different. Hard I know! Personally, its only these past few months since my daughter turned 2 that I've felt she is safe walking with me and won't run off etc. it might be your little one is too little yet. My DD still uses the buggy, especially if we are out and about and I need her safe and need to feed DS. Has he a smart trike or a push along? This might work? Or you could try putting some new toys on his pram and then take him out for bits of time to get him more used to walking. Make life easy for yourself and do what works for you, which sounds like he still needs to be in the pram. You have to do what is safe for him and so that you can do what you need to do!! Sorry I'm probably not much help, but try not to worry, he will get better and more able to be walking around. Xxx

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Friday, November 22nd 2013, 8:12am

Hi cheenab

I'd say this is a normal part of growing up, well it seems to be in my family lol, my ds hasn't been walking long and already he doesn't want the pram or the car seat, he arches his back and tries to stand up when I'm putting him in, the pram seems ok if he starts there but if I take him out then try and put him back in there's mega drama,I agree the the trike idea, the one I have can go from having sides on it for a baby then the sides come off more for a toddler if that makes sense. I hope this passes quickly for you

X
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

BeeS

Ace

Reg: Oct 31st 2009

Children: Two little boys born March '11 and Sept '13

Friday, November 22nd 2013, 9:18am

Cheenab you're definitely not alone! I think your friend with the calm, obedient little girl is in the minority. Toddlers are designed to be explorers! Mine is still pretty wayward on the pavement and he's 2 1/2. Things that I have found helped get him going in a straight line at various times: pushing a doll's buggy (usually with his igglepiggle and a selection of trains inside but sometimes I make him push our shopping in it!); aiming for various known landmarks - eg the yellow sports car, the letter box, the "poo poo wall" (don't ask); marching along to a song together; pretending to be different animals together, eg trotting like a horse, hopping like a bunny! With the last I suppose you have not to care what your neighbours think of you, which I don't :) Anything that helps!! Good luck x x x x
Bee

PCO/Amenorrhea. Resistant to Clomid. Success with Gonal F ovulation induction.
DS1 born Mar 11 and DS2 born Sept 2013

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Friday, November 22nd 2013, 12:15pm

Bees you just made we laugh so much : D

X
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

cheenab

• "cheenab" started this thread

Reg: May 27th 2009

Children: 3 gorgeous boys Zachary, Finley and Teddy <3

What's Up?
Couldn't be any happier :D

Friday, November 22nd 2013, 12:45pm

Thanks so much ladies!!! Very reassuring to know it isn't just my little monkey!!!
He has a trike but always wants to get out of there aswell!!!
We managed a successful walk to morrisons this morning (it's only 5mins down the road!!) it was a lot less stressful today, a lot of pointing out cars, buses etc got him walking in the right direction!!!! Trolley at morrisons then a nice stroll back home!!! Thinks he has worn himself out now though, fast asleep!!!
It's all just trial and error I suppose, depends what mood he/me are in!!! I did feel a lot more stressed yesterday so obviously he would of picked up on that!!!
Thanks so much again xx
FET August 2011-1 Blastocyst onboard :BFP:
Zachary William born on 27/4/12 at 10.12am weighing 6lb 12oz
Shock natural BFP 15/3/15 :faint:
Finley Thomas born on 5/11/15 at 9.39am 7lb 14oz
Another shock natural BFP 6/8/16
Teddy George born on 30/3/17 at 4.34pm 7lb 9oz

Reg: May 30th 2010

Friday, November 22nd 2013, 9:53pm

Haha I'm with you girls with a little explorer.

Bee I love it that I am not the only one sneeking in shopping to my LO's toy pushchair. Yes pushchair pushing definitely helps.

My DD is quite ok now but she's nearly 3. Edited to say she can still be way to slow and stopping at every exciting item. When she started to walk we would not get anywhere walking so walking was an activity itself. Try asking him to climb into his pushchair instead of putting him in. He might also be able to strap himself or at least have fun with the straps.

For us each milestone was a struggle but well worth it. I really shouted and she really cried once over an incident crossing the road safely (i.e. holding my hand) but after a while and after a lot of perseverance it just clicked and she now even reminds me to hold her hand when crossing.

Good luck xx

Reg: Apr 27th 2012

Children: One beautiful boy. Centre of our world.

Monday, November 25th 2013, 11:48am

Hi

If it helps, my little boy is nearly four and he can still be a monkey when we are out and about. I didn't like reins and I didn't use them, and I sometimes think life might have been easier if I had, but I wanted him to be as free as possible (whilst also being safe, of course). Sounds like your little one needs to stomp about without being confined to paths etc. Maybe just spend more time in parks and fields so he doesn't have to conform to any rules, and you don't have to stress. I think they can manage lots of activity from very young. I don't know how old your little one is, but I think three year olds should be getting at least 2-3 hours' activity a day. I know I spend a lot of time trying to exhaust my little boy so he sleeps better (but that's another story.....)

Good luck

jenny x
One beautiful boy born in 2010 but multiple attempts for a sibling very sadly had to stop.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE