You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Shelley10" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 1st 2010

Children: 1st ICSI - Perfect baby boy born 2011, 2nd ICSI - BFN

Tuesday, October 22nd 2013, 3:10pm

Question re ET

I have a niggling query.... When the consultant does ET and uses a catheter, how do they know its actually gone in? what if its dripped down on the floor or come straight back out again?!

Probably a stupid thing to ask but i thought.... you go through all this intense treatment and potentially have a negative result at the end cos the embie hasnt even made it to the womb in the ET.

Is this something stupid to be worrying about out or has anyone else thought this?

Reg: Jan 27th 2013

Children: 1 - this is secondary infertility due to fibroid blocking my right tube

What's Up?
Gutted - where do we go from here

Tuesday, October 22nd 2013, 3:53pm

Hi Shelley,

I am currently on the 2WW, at my transfer they scan you so you can see them going in plus you get a scan pic to keep and you can distinctively see the two beans inside me. Plus the embryologist has to check the catheter is clear and no clingy embryos are sticking inside the catheter.

I don't know what clinic your at or if its the same but that's my experience. When is you ET? There is a October thread where you can discuss and share your concerns and journey if you fancy joining us.

If not good luck on your journey Hun I really hope it's a great outcome xxx

Cheree's - journey to holding my little bundle of joy']MY DIARY[/url]
Me: 38 DF:40 1 DD 17 from previous relationship
TTC 4.5 yeas
Fibroid top right of uterus blocking my right tube
1st IVF cycle Sept/Oct 2013 :BFN:
2nd IVF cycle April/May 2014 :BFN:
3rd FET Dec 2014 :BFN:
Not sure where we go from here going to take a break

Reg: Feb 21st 2013

Tuesday, October 22nd 2013, 5:10pm

Hi shelly10 its really not a silly question as ive been wondering that myself! As the doctor doing my et didnt do a scan either and I got a bfn on the 28th september there, ive read that they are meant to do a scan so that you can see it in there but im not sure if every clinic does this...i did wonder about it when I got my transfer done but didnt say anything as I thought I was being silly as that was my first cycle and didnt no what to expect.

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 22nd 2013, 5:36pm

When I had my first ET in Sept 2010 they didnt do a scan, we had 2 embies to put back and he did it via catheter and after it was checked they said 1 was still in the tube so did it again and this resulted in our son (brill) but what if it was only 1 little embie to put back and the poor thing didnt even make it to me properly...isnt this just irrisponsible of the consultant? Im thinking of discussing this with them as im worried 8|

Reg: Feb 21st 2013

Tuesday, October 22nd 2013, 5:41pm

I no what you mean... I only had one put back in and have always wondered this too, definitely talk to your clinic as im going to do the same as I have my review appointment november 20th

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Tuesday, October 22nd 2013, 5:50pm

They can't actually see the embryo(s) so they check the catheter under the microscope after ET, before they tell you that it's in. Normally the embryologist leaves with the catheter while you are still on the bed. they wouldn't just leave it there, don't worry.

They can only see the 'bean' if you are having a balsto transfer and the scanning machine magnification is powerful. Otherwise they have to wait that the embryologist checks before they are sure.

Please don't worry they do 100s of ET, they know what they are doing.
Good luck!

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 22nd 2013, 5:52pm

So the scanning is only useful if its a blasto?

They checked the catheter last time but i cant help but worry that it isnt in there or in me :( Listen to me.... i havent even got to ET yet and im already sick with worry!

• United Kingdom

Tuesday, October 22nd 2013, 5:55pm

It is pretty much pot luck then as to where they put it if it successfully gets to where it should ??

Reg: May 30th 2010

Wednesday, October 23rd 2013, 12:08am

Hi Shelley,

I had 2 morulas transferred (the stage just before blasto) and in my clinic they were doing a scan during the whole transfer and also checking the catheter afterwards. I was told you can't actually see the embryos just the air bubble they are in. As to where they are put: they are definitely putting them into the womb, but it is not so easy to aim it specifically. However think of naturally conceived embryos, they also have to make their way there and they are just fine with it.

Best of luck for your treatment

xx Rianon

Reg: May 8th 2012

Children: Blessed with one beautiful boy

Wednesday, October 23rd 2013, 9:46am

I'd try to relax hun the et is the best part of the whole process. The clinics are pros at it you have a consultant doing the transfer and the embryologist handling your embies from the lab to the consultant there is no way they we going to get careless at this stage and let anything slip.

from what I understand the scan is just a nice to have and not necessary for them to see anything going in. My clinic do scan and on the transfer I had for this cycle it was the clearest I'd seen and we saw two little globs launch into my uterus. It was a blasto transfer.

If you have concerns then speak to your clinic I'm sure they will reassure you.
ICSI #1 & FET= BFN
FET #2= BFP early mc

ICSI #2- Sept 13 = :BFP: : D
Pprom at 28 weeks - Freddie James born at 32+4 perfect in every way lurve

• United Kingdom

Wednesday, October 23rd 2013, 4:05pm

Clinic said they will do an abdominal scan to place the catheter then flush the embie(s) through. Said they cant see the embies so this is what they have to do.

Reg: Jan 27th 2013

Children: 1 - this is secondary infertility due to fibroid blocking my right tube

What's Up?
Gutted - where do we go from here

Saturday, October 26th 2013, 12:27am

I had a 3 day transfer and you could see two little beans as clear as day, but as rianon says they are in liquid so this may be why we can see them on the scan. Having said that after we saw them on the scan and the scan pic, the consultant passed the cafeter to the embryoligist to ensure the tube was clear, and I said why do you do that if we can see them in there in the scan she said its just a routine check, the embryoligist shouted clear and job was done. Did your consultant check with embryoligist to ensure they went in..? If so I wouldn't worry. Good luck on your 2ww x

Cheree's - journey to holding my little bundle of joy']MY DIARY[/url]
Me: 38 DF:40 1 DD 17 from previous relationship
TTC 4.5 yeas
Fibroid top right of uterus blocking my right tube
1st IVF cycle Sept/Oct 2013 :BFN:
2nd IVF cycle April/May 2014 :BFN:
3rd FET Dec 2014 :BFN:
Not sure where we go from here going to take a break

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE