You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Chava" started this thread

Reg: Sep 29th 2010

Saturday, October 5th 2013, 10:06pm

Abnormal fertilisation and 6 cell on day 2?

We've just done our 4th cycle. Our first three cycles were fresh ICSI cycles and the one we have just done was with frozen eggs.

We had 5 eggs frozen, 3 of which survived the thaw. Of those 3, two of them fertilised abnormally and the third one was 6 cell on day 2.

Firstly, I am wondering what it means that two of the eggs fertilised abnormally and what could have caused it. I have heard of eggs being penetrated by more than one sperm but that can't have happened here because ICSI was used.

Secondly, is it very unusual for an embryo to be at the 6 cell stage on day 2? On two of our previous attempts we had 5 and 6 cell embryos on day 3 and on the other attempt (which resulted in the birth of our daughter) we had 2 4 cell embryos on day 3.

Has anyone experienced either of the above scenarios and was given more information? We were not given the chance to discuss with an embryologist or doctor, we were just told what happened and how many embryos would be transferred so I'm trying to find out more.

louise78

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Aug 18th 2009

Children: One beautiful, healthy son. Identical twin boys born too soon, sleep tightxxx

What's Up?
One very happy lady :) xx

Sunday, October 6th 2013, 10:18am

I haven't had any experience of this but didn't want to read and run. I would phone your clinic and ask for some more information. Best of luck to you xx
6x cycles of clomid bfn
2X iui bfn
1x ivf - identical triplets - miscarried triplet at 9 weeks, lost my other two beautiful boys at 23 weeks - passed away shortly after birth 17th June 2010.
4x FET 1 early loss
1 natural early loss.
2011 Nov immune cycle FET bfn
2012 Jan immune cycle ivf bfp baby7 Ds arrived safely 1/10/12 : D
2013 Aug immune cycle FET bfp confirmed miscarriage at 8 weeks
2014 Jan immune cycle bfn
2014 April immune cycle bfn.
2014 July fet bfp ❤️ seen at 7,9 and 11 weeks

Reg: May 30th 2010

Monday, October 7th 2013, 7:01pm

Hi Chava,

We also had ICSI and abnormal fetilisation. I found a good description online I will add it at the end as its looong. Regarding your 6 cell embryo it also depends when exactly they check it and some are a bit slower some a bit faster so I would say that is definitely no cause for concern. They might later catch up / slow down this happened to us on several occasions. Wishing you all the luck in the world. xxx Rianon

Austin ivf, reproductive endocrinology laboratory, provides ICSI for infertility and insemination.
When intra-cytoplasmic sperm injection (ICSI) is performed, the possibility for multiple sperm entering an egg is eliminated. However, there are eggs that have been injected with a single sperm and not exposed to any other sperm, but still have three pronuclei. The process which results in this outcome involves the division of the female chromosomes. When an egg matures, it releases one half of its chromosomes in a polar body. As a sperm enters an egg, by insemination or by ICSI, its presence is signaled to the nucleus of the egg. This causes the egg chromosomes to align and to form a duplicate set of chromosomes which align next to the first set of chromosomes. The two sets of chromosomes then exchange sections in a process that results in each set of female chromosomes having a different composition than they had before the crossing over occurred. The final step in the normal process is for one half of the chromosomes to be expelled into a second polar body outside of the cytoplasm of the egg. Sometimes this does not occur and the extra set of chromosomes is retained within the egg. The result is a third pronucleus that has the same effect as if the source of these chromosomes was from a second sperm. Too many chromosomes will prevent the egg from developing normally. These eggs are referred to as polygynic or polyploid. Because they have no potential for producing a viable pregnancy, they are immediately discarded. Since this source of too many chromosomes can also occur in eggs that have been inseminated, the source of the third pronucleus is not always known. For this reason, these eggs with more than two pronuclei are referred to as polyploid, or having more than two sets of chromosomes, regardless of the source.

**Admin/Moderator note - This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityZone.co.uk is not responsible for the content of external internet sites**

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Tuesday, October 8th 2013, 5:08pm

Good explanation by the way.
Mx