You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Misspooh123" started this thread

Reg: Feb 24th 2013

Children: 3 fur babies (2 cats and a scottish terrier).

Saturday, September 28th 2013, 9:43pm

Ultrasound confusion

Hello,

I wondered if anyone can give any advice?

I had a transvaginal ultrasound 5 month ago at our initial clinic visit. At this point I was on cd 38 ( history of irregular cycle). Anyway the nurse did the ultrasound and pointed out afew things to me, location of everything etc. she also pointed out that my left ovary had a 2.5 cm follicle and in her opinion it looks like I'm just about to ovulate. But to confuse things my period started the very next day.
I suppose my question is could that have been a mature follie if my period is imminent??
What happens to the other follicles once you have ovulated? Can follicles exist during after the period??
I have been confused about this since the appointment and given that we don't have our consultant appointment for a while, maybe anybody else has an idea or advice why this happened?

Thanks in advance. Xx
Miss Pooh
Treatment - GRI
1st-3rd DIUI - :BFN:
4th-6th DIUI (stim)- :BFN:
1st DICSI cycle- 12 eggs,8 fertilised, 3 frozen, no transfer due to egg collection infection and fever.

One day at a time ......
starsmile

:xxx3:

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Sunday, September 29th 2013, 7:54am

Hi and welcome to :FZ:

Follicles are fluid filled sacs in your ovaries which contain eggs, normally one each. They also produce hormones. Women are born with a huge supply of these, so they are always there in a way, but are very small. Follicles grow during your monthly cycle. When they reach a certain size they may contain a mature egg. On ovulation (about half way) the follicle bursts and your egg is released. Sometimes a follicle does not release an egg during ovulation, it continues to grow within the ovary, becoming a cyst. Follicles that do release the egg can also become a cysts in some circumstances. These come and go and are very common. If I remember correctly, follicles bigger than 2 cm are defined as cysts. They are harmless and disappear with your period, as your hormones change.

I don't know if this was your case. You may want to ask during your consultation. He will have your notes and more detailed reports.

Sometimes sonoogrphers make 'mistakes' because they are expert in reading the scan, but they can't always explain the medical side of things. She would have known that a structure that looks like a fluid filled sac of a certain size is a follicle that is probably going to burst soon. However, she will have written only follicle, its location and 2.5 cm in her report. She would have put a photo in her report as well, so your doctor can make a judgement when he sees your notes.

Hope this helps
Take care.

Sunday, September 29th 2013, 8:42am

Ultrasound and big decisions

Hi Maria,

Thanks for the reply. I also read the general info thread on ovulation after I had posted this last night and it pointed towards this too. Hmmm interesting, it always bothered me at the time actually with having such a long cycle, but then more so when period actually started. But obviously this was the next day and couldn't ask them. All my bloodwork has always been normal so I suppose it could have been stress related too.
The nurse did take photos during the scan, and afew notes, but didn't tell me anything else other than the 2.5cm follicle was there and showed me this big black spot on the fuzzy screen (lol made no difference to me). ?o(
We have some bigger worries ahead, we have been told donor is one of our probable options, we anticipate dh may be referred to urology, we don't know if he qualifies for surgical retrieval but if the nhs won't their next offer is donor :-( . We have some big decisions and probably tough ones to make over the next few weeks. So My ultrasound is a minor thing. It also Happens we have been invited to our nephews christening in Ireland 5 days after our consultants appointment, I needed 2 days to recover the last time with the shock we got about donor being one of our only options. So can't be bothered if I'm honest. Is that wrong? ?o( I just cannot face it. None of his family know about the issues.

Miss Pooh
Treatment - GRI
1st DICSI cycle- 12 eggs,8 fertilised, 3 frozen, no transfer due to egg collection infection and fever.

One day at a time ......
starsmile

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Sunday, September 29th 2013, 11:13am

Hi Lauren,
fertility issuesare very stressful. Try to take one day at the time though. My advice is not to make long term plans. If you feel like going to the christening go, if you don't, then don't go. But don't try to plan how you are going to feel.
It is not wrong not to be able to face these events. You are human, not a machine. You have feelings. All normal hunni.
Take care.

Sunday, September 29th 2013, 7:05pm

Well this is it, I cannot control how I am going to feel. Just need to see. Thanks for the replies Maria. Xx
Miss Pooh
Treatment - GRI

One day at a time ......
starsmile

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE