You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "rosa21" started this thread

Reg: May 15th 2012

Tuesday, July 9th 2013, 1:15pm

Info about intralipids/steroids/clotting etc, following immunology test results

Hi girls,
I wondered if anyone had any experience of this stuff - I've tried not to read about it before, as I was hoping it wouldn't affect me.
After 3 unsuccessful IVF attempts (and 2 abandoned cycles) I've just seen my consultant and had results from nk assay panel, thrombotic risk and anticardiolipin tests.
I can't remember all the numbers but he said I have an increased risk of clotting, and also one of the nk tests was too high, and so he's suggested taking intralipids + aspirin + steroids + clexane during my next FET cycle.
There was too much information in front of me to remember all the different tests, and which one meant what, but I was hoping someone might have some advice about what to expect from taking all these extra meds (side effects etc.)
And hopefully some positive stories about how these tests have been a turning point!
Our next cycle will be our last nhs-funded cycle, and possibly therefore our last cycle altogether, so we're pinning all our hopes on these test results and the supplementary meds.
Hope someone can help
thanks x
Rosa

Me 38 rubbish cycles, very low amh
DH 39 rubbish sperm

Ist ICSI 6/12 - abandoned :-(
2nd ICSI 10/12 - BFN :-(
3rd ICSI 1/13 - BFN :-(
4th FET 3/13 abandoned :-(
5th FET 5/13 - BFN :-(
Taking a break over the summer

Tuesday, July 9th 2013, 3:30pm

I'm just reading a thousand accounts of people's heads puffing up like footballs, and getting hairy faces, and being unable to stop eating because of steroids :-(
Does anyone have any happy steroid stories for me please?
Rosa

DH 39 rubbish sperm

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Tuesday, July 9th 2013, 8:00pm

Hi Rosa,
the major side effect I had from steroid was lack of sleep. But I felt really good on them, had loads of energy and my face didn't puff up!
Try and take the steroids as early in the morning as you can.
Take care and try not to worry.

Reg: Sep 29th 2010

Thursday, July 11th 2013, 11:26am

I had no side effects from the steroids, although since Maria mentioned it, I did have weird sleep the last time, feeling kind of tired but hyper at the same time.

Those accounts you have read, were they about people taking steroids as part of fertility treatment? I have never heard of the side effects you are worried about. For fertility treatment the dose is very low and you're only taking them for a short time.

Reg: Nov 20th 2008

Children: Fingers crossed x

Friday, July 12th 2013, 8:34am

Hi Rosa,

I'm currently on all the drugs you mention and have no side effects. As Maria suggested I take my steroids first thing in the morning and have been fine. My only observation has possibly been an increased appetite, but I'm also greedy so it could be that : D

The combo worked for us, I'm currently 6weeks pregnant so try not to worry x
Never give up on your dreams...they do come true.
ICSI #8, Anna born 26/2/14....the most amazing gift in the world x

Friday, July 12th 2013, 8:01pm

Thanks girls, that is reassuring. The stories I read were also about people having fertility treatment, but maybe I just hit a rich vein of horror stories. Pesky old internet scaring me!

Congratulations on your pregnancy Penny - it looks like you've earned it. Hopefully the drugs will work as well for me as they have for you.
xxx :)
Rosa

DH 39 rubbish sperm

Reg: Jan 4th 2013

Children: None YET!

Saturday, July 13th 2013, 12:19pm

Hi Rosa, I have no experience to answer any of your questions but I am interested to know if your GP ordered all those blood tests? I have had a failed IUI and 1 failed IVF, starting 2nd round of IVF in August (currently sniffing) and I would be keen to have these bloods done to assess my risk of clotting etc..think everyone really should be screened! In Northern Ireland you only get 1 NHS so if this fails its off to private treatment again eeeeeek!!! Thanks and good luck x
3# Clomid BFN 2012
1# IUI injectibles 2012 BFN
1# IVF Feb 2013 - BFN
2# IVF August 2013 - freeze all due to OHSS
1# FET Dec 2013 - BFN
Bring on 2014!!

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 3rd 2012

Children: Hopefully one day

What's Up?
Gutted

Saturday, July 13th 2013, 1:47pm

Hi Rosa,

I've taken the drugs you mention for my last 3 cycles and the only real side effect I had was an increased appetite from the steroids. I bruised like a peach with the cleaxane injections mind, and the bruises took weeks to go away - I went on holiday and looked like a battered wife in my bikini!! lmao

To be honest, the only drug I've taken that I don't like at all is buserelin - I can't cope with the headaches and hot sweats. If you can cope with buserelin then these will be a breeze!! :thumbsup2:

I really hope they do the trick honey.

C xx

Me and DH: 39. TTC since Dec 2007 - unexplained infertility. Started IVF Aug 2011: 6 failed cycles (4 fresh, 2 FET); 3 blastos on ice

MY DIARY

Sunday, July 14th 2013, 6:27pm

Hi Snuggly,
No, these weren't ordered by the GP. Our clinic consultant advised us to get tested after 3 negative cycles. I think GPs can only order these tests after 3 miscarriages.
My consultant says that the tests aren't funded by the NHS for implantation failure because there haven't been enough studies as yet.
We decided to pay privately for the tests to make sure we were getting the most out of our last NHS cycle.
It's such a shame that the NHS don't do these when you start IVF, as it does feel like we've wasted our previous cycles.

Thanks Constance. Hopefully by the time I'm doing Clexane it will be autumn and no one will get to see my battered wife look. I Good luck with your new consultant, fingers crossed that this cycle will be the one for you xx
Rosa

DH 39 rubbish sperm

rb76

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 28th 2009

Children: One angel and her twin, our gorgeous little miracle

What's Up?
Looking forward to 2014 :)

Sunday, July 14th 2013, 7:09pm

Hi Rosa

I'm an immune lady and have taken all of the above lol. The only one with side effects is the prednisilone which I assume is the steroid you will take. They affected my sleep and at times gave me lots of energy! But I didn't have any weight or moon face problems at all and I was on them for about 14 weeks for my current pregnancy. I was pleased to come off them but they're more than worth it for a successful pregnancy !
Wishing you lots of luck, we had multiple cycles too and I know how hard it is. I totally agree that it should all be investigated before starting IVF. They should go on all the fertility forums if they want proof it works!

Me - 36 DH - 48. TTC since 2008
March/April 2013 Immune DE ICSI Gennet, Prague :BFP: [zx076] [zx076] :girl: :girl:
Diagnosed with severe pre eclampsia at 23 weeks :(
Babies born by emergency c-section at 24 weeks on 30th August 2013, One beautiful little angel passed away shortly after birth. Sleep tight sweetheart x :heart:
My Diary

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "rb76" (Jul 14th 2013, 7:11pm)

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE