You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Neve777

• "Neve777" started this thread

Reg: Nov 7th 2011

What's Up?
:)

Wednesday, May 29th 2013, 10:31pm

What happens if the embryo isnt placed in the top part of the uterus?

Hi everyone!

I am not sure if this has been asked before, I couldnt find it anywhere, but apologies if it has.

This is potentially an over-analytical question, but it is bugging me a little bit so would like to hear of other experiences and opinions if possible....

I have read on many websites, that the embryo is usually placed at the top part of the uterus (the fundus).

In my embryo transfer, the doctor marked out this area on the U/S screen for the nurse to see (she was operating the catheter). She managed to get the catheter only in so far, and then she couldnt get it to the point that was marked out. It was like she would have had to get the catheter to bend round a corner or something and there was just no give in it, it was stuck. So the atmosphere was a little tense while she tried, and the 2 clinicians were discussing it, but in the end the doctor did say, oh ok well it will be fine there too.
But both DH and myself could see on the screen that it wasnt really within the area that he had marked out (he placed 3 dots on the screen to make a triangle, so it was anywhere in there).
And we both read into their verbal and non-verbal communication with each other as being slightly concerning.

So, my questions are
Am I reading too much into this?!!
Did anyone else have a similar experience, (the embryo wasnt placed where the doc wanted it to go, or wasnt placed at the top) and if so what was the outcome?
Why do they place it at the top? Is it because its in the corner so theres more surface area on the uterus for the embryo to find a nice place to rest and implant?

If we get a BFN this time around, I will be adding this to my list of questions for my follow up appointment. But that appt might take a while to come round, so any comments are most welcome.

Thanks in advance!!

TTC since 2010
ICSI May 2013 - :BFN:
ICSI # 2 Oct 2013 - :BFP:
21 Nov 13 - [zx076] [zx076] seen at first scan! :faint:
Jul 2014 - bab21 bab22

Reg: Jun 16th 2009

Children: twin girls

Wednesday, May 29th 2013, 10:49pm

The clinics I used don't use US and as far as I know as long as it is in the uterus it doesn't matter as it is like a bed of seaweed and will float about and hopefully attach. Please don't worry and good luck x

Kirstin's Parenting Diary

Jan 09 Icsi BFN May 09 Fet BFN Sept 09 Icsi BFN Jan 10 :BFP:
:girl: :girl: c-section 13/09/10

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 5:19am

Hi Neve,
You are probably reading too much into this. My understanding is that they normally try to put the embryo where there are 'folds' in the lining as the embryo is not stuck to the uterus so it can float a bit, which it will do.
I am not sure what my clinic did for me, if I remember they try to put it as high as they could, but never mentioned a specific place.
Try not to worry, but by all means if you get a bfn then ask as many questions as you need to.
babydust

Neve777

What's Up?

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 11:09am

Thanks very much ladies!! I did think I was probably overthinking it through!! :) xx

TTC since 2010
Jul 2014 - bab21 bab22

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 11th 2008

Children: 1 wee lad

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 10:31pm

My clinic apparently took a measurement during EC and used this for ET to 'judge' where to release the embie/s as they dont use scanning during ET.
Not very technical or precise when you look at the rest of the IVF science!
I was always paranoid they didnt 'release' in the right place, but did get 2x bfp's

Good luck for test date :D

Ex: 4xICSI = 2x BFP(2x m/c) + 2x BFN
met my awesome BF lurve in sept 2012
Shock natural :BFP: May2013

arrived early (high BP & pre eclampsia) by EMCS at 35+6
baby4 home safe on Xmas day

Neve777

What's Up?

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 11:11pm

Thanks Shirlz! Paranoid is a good word for how I feel sometimes :laugh:

I found out tonight that I have a pregnant friend who might have to have a caesarian because her baby's placenta is blocking the exit of the womb. This may also be a factor in why some websites state the top of the uterus.

Cheers again x

TTC since 2010
Jul 2014 - bab21 bab22

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE