You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

SmithyHJ

• "SmithyHJ" started this thread

Reg: Apr 27th 2013

Sunday, May 12th 2013, 7:45pm

Dr Abdo Royal Preston Hospital

Hi Ladies,

I've just got my appointment through to attend the fertility clinic at the Royal Preston Hospital for initial tests after trying to conceive unsucessfully for 18 months and being told my progesterone levels are too low. My consultant is going to be Dr Abdo and I was wondering if there is anyone on here who has been to the RPH for fertility treatment or been seen by Dr Abdo himself that wouldn't mind giving me the benefit of their own experiences?

Thanks in advance!

H :xxx:
Helen

:xxx:

Reg: Jan 27th 2013

Children: 1 - this is secondary infertility due to fibroid blocking my right tube

What's Up?
Gutted - where do we go from here

Tuesday, May 14th 2013, 8:33am

Hi H

I went to Preston Royal and saw Mr Abdo, I found him very direct understanding and he new his stuff. In fact I only went to Preston Royal for a second opinion after receiving terrible service at Blackpool Vic. I wanted a second opinion on my blocked tube, Mr Abdo was very straight with DF and I and said because of my age (36) he would recommend we go straight to ST Marys for IVF referral, Blackpool wouldn't even refer me, but that's another story....

My overall opinion of PRI and the infertility set up their is fantastic, compared to Blackpool, at Blackpool you only ever get to see the nurse, at Preston we weren't even booked in to see MR Abdo but after me kicking off and refusing to take the same tests again Mr Abdo came to see us and agreed we had been messed around enough and referred us straight to ST Marys, he explained the process and offered his clinics support if the letter has not been passed on quickly enough to St Marys, after my appointment at PRI which was on 10th jan 3 weeks later I received a phone call from ST Mary's to go through the forms as the couldn't read my DF surname lol, then by beginning of Feb I had received my letter from ST Marys, by the 4th march I was in for my pink proforma tests, now I have my consultants appointment on the 12th of June to hopefully start tx.... My that all sounds so quick but while your living it, it feels like for ever for the appointments to come in and arrive....lol

Sorry if that is too much info but thought the dates may be of some help, as one thing I have hated is hanging around waiting for dates at least if you have a bench mark you know what you are working to...

When is your appointment? Good luck with everything I'm sure you will be well taken care of at PRI xxx

Cheree's - journey to holding my little bundle of joy']MY DIARY[/url]
Me: 38 DF:40 1 DD 17 from previous relationship
TTC 4.5 yeas
Fibroid top right of uterus blocking my right tube
1st IVF cycle Sept/Oct 2013 :BFN:
2nd IVF cycle April/May 2014 :BFN:
3rd FET Dec 2014 :BFN:
Not sure where we go from here going to take a break

SmithyHJ

Tuesday, May 14th 2013, 5:37pm

Thanks so much for your reply Cheree :hugs: You've really reassured me!

I'm so sorry you were messed about, it must have been so hard especially when we're constantly feeling like we're waiting for something to happen none stop as it is!

I'm glad things have started moving for you and I hope that absolutely all your hopes and wishes are answered :dust: xxx

My appointment is on 30th May - so not long now, although as you say it does seem to all crawl along when you want something so desperately doesn't it?!

I'm eager to get things moving, but I just hope there are no delays after the inital appointment!

Big hugs and let me know how you get on xxxxx
Helen

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

Cheree 76 (14.05.2013)

Children: 1 - this is secondary infertility due to fibroid blocking my right tube

What's Up?

Tuesday, May 14th 2013, 9:07pm

I hope things run along quickly for you after your appointment on the 30th, I know you haven't been referred yet but there is a thread on hear about St Mary's where you could post your original post and see if others in the area have had similar issues to you low progesterone to see if they can help or let you know what they have gone on to do if that makes sense...

Either way Hunni I am hoping all goes well and all your dreams come true , keep in touch and let me know how you get on on the 30 th xxx

TTC 4.5 yeas

SmithyHJ

Tuesday, May 14th 2013, 9:15pm

Thank you! I may just do that - "fore warned is fore armed" and all that! ::P

Speak soon and keep me posted on your progress too blowkiss :xxx:
Helen

SmithyHJ

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 3:19pm

Feeling deflated and teary

Well, I've just got back from my appointment at the RPH.

I didn't see Dr Abdo after all, I saw a Dr called Dr Malik. He seemed nice enough but I didn't think that he was taking me seriously at first which only added to my nervousness :-( I suppose he see's countless women day in day out but he just seemed a bit 'blase' about my concerns.

Anyway... He performed an internal examination and took some swabs then went away to deliberate the information I'd also given him about my partners results (all fine) and mine to date.

He has now come back and told me that I need to do yet another "day 2" test even though I've had one and he knows this and has told me I need to be checked for my resistance against Rubella etc... He also said that he wants me to have the "HyCosy scan" but the soonest I can be seen is 24th October!!

Now I know clinics have waiting times but it all seems such a long wait - even though I had kind of warned myself to expect this after speaking to other people on here....

To throw another spanner in the works... I've been having pregnancy symptoms for the last 10 days. I've had severe heartburn and indigestion (including a ridiculous amount of bloating!!) I fainted on Friday for no apparent reason and my skin has been itching like crazy. I'm due on my period around the 6th or 7th and even that seems ages off!

I know, I know - I might not be pregnant and it could just be wishful thinking on my behalf - but my heads a mess!

And If I'm not pregnant then I can't do the day 2 test this month whilst on my period anyway (If I'm "on time" that is) because I'll be in another country on holiday!!! So that's another wait for news!

To top it all off - my sister who died a few years ago's best friend sent me a picture of her newborn son an hour before I went in to see Dr Malik. So my mind set wasn't the best and I'm feeling really teary and negative :tears:

Arggghh - my heads mashed! So I'm sorry for the long post but I really don't know what to do or how to feel because anyone who has offered support hasn't ever been through this and my OH is being a typical bloke and burying his head in the sand. :scared:

Sorry for the rant!

H xxx
Helen

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "SmithyHJ" (May 30th 2013, 3:22pm)

What's Up?

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 3:44pm

Oh Helen,

My heart goes out to you Hun, firstly you seem to be where I was 18 months ago, I had my first bloods then asked for more then sent for a HyCosy scan it's to check for blocked tubes and scar tissue and such like - I dint remember a five month waiting list but it wasn't right away either about 3-4 months, after the scan we were asked to try for a further 6 months and the time went on and on in fact it was April last year I had mine so if we start tx in July it will be 15 months after the scan, that said every clinic is different. Have they advised you why you can't get pregnant? If not then they will have to do the HYCOSY to rule out certain things....

This whole infertility road is one huge waiting game and its such a hurtful processes. So sorry you lost your sister Hun, I know exactly how that feels as I have lost my brother quite a few years ago now but it still hurts two years is nothing so you are bound to be hurting still, I also sympathise with you with the photo's of a new born as much as your happy for your friends and relatives there is also that knife feeling where you think why not me, I have got three friends with new borns and my nephew is only 5 months plus last month my sister in law announces she's expecting in October and your like :hairout :scream: :pullhair: inside but all smiley and congratulating on the outside....

I hope your symptoms are that your pregnant but don't put all your opes on it encase it doesn't happen. That said if it does I want big smiles on here and to hear all about it...

Chin up Hunni I know it's a massive disappointment and I know you didn't want any more waiting but think of it like this once the scan is done your one step towards being referred.

I'm always here for you if you want a chin wag, rant away Hunni as a problem shared you always feel better, plus men don't always get this stuff lol

Take care sweetie xxxxx :hugs: lurve

TTC 4.5 yeas

SmithyHJ

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 3:54pm

Thanks so much Cheree :xxx:

At this point I don't think they have any idea why we can't because my prolactin levels are now within a normal range and my day 21 test was only on Tuesday so the results won't have come through yet I don't think. So I'm guessing that the Hycosy is to rule things out in the 'mean time' along with the other swab tests etc.

I'm so sorry to hear about your brother :hugs: I say my sister was a "few years ago" but infact it was a lot more than that - it was just turned 6 years ago but seems that raw still that it only feels a few years! But you'll know all that yourself xxx

The thought of having to go what you have already gone through sounds horrendous hun and I'm so sorry that you have had to endure it all.

You're right about it not being wise to get my hopes up - my hormones are all over the show atm so it's probably just natures cruel way of showing me who's boss lol.

I'll definitely keep you posted, and thanks so much for your reply. I feel more calm now as a result!

Keep me posted about your progress too - I'm keeping everything crossed for you babydust

H xxxxx
Helen

Cheree 76 (30.05.2013)

What's Up?

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 10:07pm

Your more than welcome Hun, us woman on here have to go through so much, dont we its not fair at times

when ever you feel down or you just want a chat I'm always here, I come on most days. Just a though it may be worth asking if there is only a waiting time at Preston royal and see if you can have the test any earlier at Blackpool or Manchester?

May not work but may be worth a try,

Take care sweetie talk soon big hugs to you n DH tonight :hugs: :hugs: :xxx3:

TTC 4.5 yeas

SmithyHJ

Thursday, May 30th 2013, 10:22pm

We do indeed!

I hadn't got as far as thinking about anywhere else and the only other option they gave me initially was Chorley. But it might be worth an ask as you say.

My fella has been lovely this evening - and has made up for his earlier reluctance to talk through things. I just don't think he realised how hard I'm taking all of this. He's promised to come with me for the October appointment and has suggested that I call the clinic to bear me in mind for any last minute cancellations. It's a long shot with so many other couples in the same boat but it has to be worth asking the question because we live so near to the hospital!

Thanks so much again for the support - here for you too xxxx blowkiss
Helen

Cheree 76 (30.05.2013)

SmithyHJ

Wednesday, July 3rd 2013, 11:59am

Hycosy update - I'd been misinformed and had it today!

Hi guys!

I had my Hycosy this morning after being misinformed that I'd have to wait until October by the receptionist at the hospital. What they didn't make clear to a complete novice like me is that they can never give a specific date for this scan as they have no idea when your cycle occurs and when is best to scan etc and the October appointment is my consultant review! :whoops:

Anyway... So I had it this morning as I said and my fallopian tubes and ovaries are fine (Yey!) But my cervix is "Too tight" and "slightly tilted"!! When I asked for more info about this find the radiographer said that I'd have to ask my consultant as she wasn't a gynaecologist (fair enough!) But does anyone else have experience of being told this? Should I be worried or can those "little swimmers" hit the target :darts: so to speak even with this happening?? :S

Also, the radiographer was none too pleased that the first Dr I saw failed to include details in my notes to state that I have had pre-cancerous cells in my cervix in the past!!

Grrr - all such a mine field!! I hope October soon gets here because answers would be good lol.

Hugs to you all :hugs: xxxx
Helen

What's Up?

Saturday, July 6th 2013, 8:25pm

Hi Helen,

Glad the HyCosy went well and nothing is wrong with your tubes :thumbsup: I also have a slightly tilted uterus well I thought it was uterus may be it was cervix, and the consultant said to me put a pillow under you when [zx084] as it will help, worth a shot.

October may seem a long way away, but fill the time with some nice things and goals, that's what I try to do, I still don't like waiting around mind...

Glad things are moving in the right direction, if you want more advice about your cervix book an appointment to see the doctor thy may b able to help and advise until October xxx

TTC 4.5 yeas

bub157

Reg: Jul 20th 2013

Saturday, July 20th 2013, 11:10am

Hi, Hope you don't mind me posting, I am with Mr Abdo at Preston also. I haven't seen him and saw Mr Malik for a matter a minutes at my first appointment to sign a consent form for my upcoming laparoscopy. I had a pre-op last week and was told that I would need to ask any questions about the procedure to the surgeon IF they come to see me before the surgery. All I want is to make sure that if they find anything (cysts, adhesions etc ) that they will treat it then and there and not just tell me about it afterwards and book me in for more surgery!! Very frustrating!
Also, at my first appointment when the nurse tried to take swabs, she said that the entrance to my cervix was very tight and she had great difficulty getting the swab in the right place (causing me pain for about 5 days after!). She thought it might be scarring due to me having had 2 loop excision procedures for abnormal cells. During my pre-op, I asked the (different) nurse about whether they could remove some of the scarring, she said she didn't understand what I meant by a tight cervix!! Argh! So I was relieved to see your post Helen and that it wasn't me just remembering wrongly. I don't know what it means in terms of fertility though. I will try to get to speak to a surgeon and ask, and if so I will let you know.
So I haven't had a great experience so far. It doesn't help that get anxious whenever I step into a hospital and forget what questions I should ask!
I think I need to remember to write things down so I know what to ask in future and also have a record of what's been said! ;)
Hope that you have good experiences at St Marys. Sorry I couldn't be helpful, I'll let you know if I find anything out though