You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 8 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Laurenmcguinness" started this thread

Reg: Feb 24th 2013

Children: 3 fur babies (2 cats and a scottish terrier).

Saturday, May 11th 2013, 8:19pm

Initial fertility clinic appointment......gutted

Hi all,

It's been a couple of days since our initial fertility clinic appointment, we needed a couple of days to recover. Very hard emotionally.
This was a nurse led clinic in which I had to get an ultrasound and histories take. We were also to get an indication of what the process would involve and generally what treatment may be offered.
First off my ultrasound was done, she asked about my periods etc. I have irregular periods but this one is a killer because I am on cycle day 40 now!! She scanned me and pointed out all these fuzzy outlines, but she did say I have a lovely 2.5cm mature follicle, so in her opinion I was just about to ovulate. So based on this, looks like my period is just a really long one this time. I never get this long into a cycle.
Then we went to another room and she started taking our histories, height weight etc and general background related to how we got referred.
My side was fine. She asked my OH about his first 2 SA's and said that he will need to do a third, but this time it's the "swim up test" and a more detailed analysis. If the results of this third test come back as showing some sperm, he will need to do a fourth for confirmation, and then we would be offered ICSI at Glasgow royal infirmary. Which is good. However, if the results still shows no sperm, our option is....... Donor sperm. That's it.

We are gutted to say the least. I just totally broke down.
Donor is the last resort, unfortunately it is also half of our options. The nurse obviously has to tell us this so we don't get our consultant appointment and go in totally blind, so I can see why she told us there and then. Also it appears that we have had a lot of the testing / scans done by our GP rather than through the clinic so it means we have fast tracked and got results for a lot of stuff the clinic would normally have done. This means there was little extra testing the nurse could suggest at this stage, so perhaps she is reading between the lines a little bit.

Something that neither of us can understand though, if this swim up test shows no sperm present, how do they know there's none present in my OH? Just because the sample had none, doesn't mean he has none in him, it could mean its not getting out, or it's tucked away maybe?? I don't know, I am clutching at straws here but still. He has had an ultrasound but we were not given any results for this, yet. So my point is, I find it a bit of a leap to go straight to donor if the swim up sperm test shows bad news, is surgical retrieval not an option if the swim up test is bad? Or is it possible that a bad swim up test along with myOHs bloodwork make it an impossibility? I am not specifically asking anyone if they have the answers here, just raising the points of confusion we have.

We had to both take emergency leave from work those days because we just could not believe what we were hearing. I am especially concerned what effect this has on my OH.

I am on cd 40 now and guess what, I am bleeding today!! So, was I about to ovulate like the ultrasound indicated, or what?? Totally confused and gutted.
Miss Pooh
Treatment - GRI
1st-3rd DIUI - :BFN:
4th-6th DIUI (stim)- :BFN:
1st DICSI cycle- 12 eggs,8 fertilised, 3 frozen, no transfer due to egg collection infection and fever.

One day at a time ......
starsmile

:xxx3:

rb76

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 28th 2009

Children: One angel and her twin, our gorgeous little miracle

What's Up?
Looking forward to 2014 :)

Saturday, May 11th 2013, 8:29pm

I know very little about male factor issues but what I do know is that the provision for fertility treatment on the NHS is only a fraction of what exists!
I would definitely consult a private clinic as well with your results before accepting donor sperm.
Sorry I can't help with the ovulation question.. not sure.
Infertility is horrible, no two ways about it, but there are plenty of people on here who understand. You might have to fight your corner though, I certainly would not be pregnant now if we hadn't!
Good luck

Me - 36 DH - 48. TTC since 2008
March/April 2013 Immune DE ICSI Gennet, Prague :BFP: [zx076] [zx076] :girl: :girl:
Diagnosed with severe pre eclampsia at 23 weeks :(
Babies born by emergency c-section at 24 weeks on 30th August 2013, One beautiful little angel passed away shortly after birth. Sleep tight sweetheart x :heart:
My Diary

Saturday, May 11th 2013, 8:37pm

Thanks RB, yes it's a horrible thing for anyone to go through. I definitely will be fighting our corner, I already feel like I know stuff the doctors should know, we have also had an endocrinologist referral where we had to refuse Testosterone therapy for my OH because it stops the body producing sperm!! Treatment actually working against what we are trying to achieve.
I read an article from 2010 that stated the NHS sperm donor list was down to 26 in Scotland........26!!!! I find that totally unbelievable. We were actually told by the nurse that if we go down the donor route we have to pay for the donor sperm itself. nHS offer the IUI and the drug treatment for me, but will not fund the sperm. I could not believe it.
Miss Pooh
Treatment - GRI
1st DICSI cycle- 12 eggs,8 fertilised, 3 frozen, no transfer due to egg collection infection and fever.

One day at a time ......
starsmile

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Saturday, May 11th 2013, 9:17pm

Hi Hun

My situation is slightly different but still male factor. Just wanted to offer a bit of support cause I remember the feeling when they told us dh had no sperm coming out. I thought my world was coming crashing in. Now we have two beautiful boys and they are both biologically my dh's. so anything is possible Hun just don't give up.xxxx

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

Saturday, May 11th 2013, 10:20pm

Thanks Gemma, I appreciate that. It is good to hear success stories and while we are hopefully that ICSI will be the way forward for us, we have to prepare ourselves for the donor route too, just in case.
Miss Pooh
Treatment - GRI

One day at a time ......
starsmile