You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

kate1981

• "kate1981" started this thread
  • United Kingdom

Reg: Jan 25th 2013

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 5:00pm

Embryo Transefer....One or Two?

Hi,

I'm starting a new thread as the last one was out of date and I really want some replies!
I've not even had my egg collection yet (this coming wednesday) but I'm wondering how many to have put back. My gut instinct is saying two. The doctor/clinic only want to put back one but ultimately its my decision (I only found this out by going through the manual and website! I'm not sure that I would have been informed of my choice otherwise?!).
I'm young in the eyes of IVF doctors (31) but really want a live baby out of this (why else would any of us put ourselves through this!).
Please if anyone has any advice or opinions I'd be really grateful to hear them....xx :thumbsup:

Reg: Dec 12th 2012

Children: fingers crossed

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 5:20pm

hi katie :)

I had my et friday and had 2 healthy 8 cell embryoes but back at 3 days. this was the dr choices as I only had 3 eggs left from thr 7 collected.
I am only 23 and they havent mentioned anything about my age three the process. xxx

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 6:45pm

This link contains some useful information.

One at a time - Risks of IVF -Multiple births - twins- from fertility treatment

Good luck with your decision. It's not an easy one.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

kate1981

• United Kingdom

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 8:00pm

Hi,

Thanks ladies.

Wow, Diane. That is amazing. I will be praying for you. Its such a hard decision to make and I'm so frightened of making the wrong one. I've been on the 'One at a Time' website and despite all the health warnings it seems that I would be more likely to have a baby implant. I'm so worried that they will implant a 'rotten' embryo that I'd rather they implant two should I get any (embryos).
I kind of think that I'm 31 now and if this attempt does not work I may not be able to try again for a couple of years due to studying and cost etc. by which time I will be 33/34. This IVF cycle is funded by the NHS, I only get one so I want to give it the best shot. I've cut out caffeine :-( , been eating linseed, drinking red clover & nettle tea, having acupuncture and homeopathy and all sorts in an attempt to boost my fertility. Its so hard when its something you want desperately. I've had three ectopics and two miscarriages. I have no tubes and have waited 5 years since last ectopic for this 'go'. Its a tough one, what will be will be I guess. Still undecided on the transfer but think if I get two good ones, then we'll go for it...xxx

Reg: Jan 4th 2013

Children: None YET!

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 8:19pm

Hi Kate,

I will be 31 when i start IVF and have been told 1 embryo for ET as I'm still young.. They said if its 5 day transfer it will def be 1 transfer and if poor quality to day 3 then maybe 2. I have never been pregnant.

I always thought twins would be ideal.. Get it over and done with in 1 pregnancy but there are so many risks associated with twin pregnancy not just to babies but to you. Although saying that I know people who have had healthy twins via ivf. It's a hard call.

I think if I was in your shoes and I had gone through all the ectopic and miscarriages I would want 2 put back in..

Good luck xx
3# Clomid BFN 2012
1# IUI injectibles 2012 BFN
1# IVF Feb 2013 - BFN
2# IVF August 2013 - freeze all due to OHSS
1# FET Dec 2013 - BFN
Bring on 2014!!

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 8:31pm

Although if you are having recurrent miscarriages maybe its more sensible to put one back in? Give that 1 the best shot xx
3# Clomid BFN 2012
1# IVF Feb 2013 - BFN
1# FET Dec 2013 - BFN
Bring on 2014!!

Rachael*

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 22nd 2010

Children: Two boys & One girl :)

What's Up?
Keep growing little baby :pray:
Mummy & Daddy love you xx

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 8:57pm

Im 34 & have had two cycles of IVF & have only ever been allowed to have one put back. I fell pregnant on my second cycle :)
I was told by my embyrologist you dont have any more chance falling pregnant with two rather then one..

Being pregnat with one baby is hard enough let alone being pregnant with two, trust me i have three kids.
I have two very close friends on here that have had a twin pregnancies & their babies have been born poorly & one of them had her babies very premature. Im not trying to scare you just get you to realise twins are lovely but pregnancy can be very hard with two..
Best of luck with your decision xxx
starsmile Rachael's Diary

FET August 2014 = :BFP: bab10

Reg: Aug 18th 2012

Children: 1 son who has just turned 3

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 9:09pm

I was 28 when I had my first round of ivf and my clinic would only put 1 back and that round gave me my :BFP: and ds is now 3.
On my second round icsi I was 32 and again I was only allowed 1 transferred and as you can see that also gave me a :BFP: .
So I guess I am an example that only transferring 1 can work. But also I know a lot of people say don't have more than you can cope with back so if you think positive could you cope with twins then go for the 2 if not then go with 1
Hope this helps good luck with EC and ET

Redwillows second climb of the horse My Diary

iui :BFN: X2

Ivf October 2008 :BFP: 1 beautiful baby1 10th July 2009

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

Net

Reg: Apr 10th 2010

Children: Two beautiful daughtersr - thank you Guys hospital

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 9:20pm

I was also only allowed to put 1 back in as I was under 35 and also got told having 2 doesn't increase the chance of getting PG it just increases the chance of a multiple pregnancy (don't know if that's true or not, just what my clinic told me). It's a very personal choice and I would have only had 1 put back if I'd have had the choice, but as I said, it's a very personal choice. Whatever you decide, good luck. x
NET

ICSI Feb 2011-:BFP: m/c
FET Aug11 & Nov 11 - cancelled pre ET
FET May 2012- :BFP:
DD born Feb 2013
FET Feb 2015 :BFP:
DD2 born Nov 2015

MY DIARY

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Net" (Jan 27th 2013, 9:38pm)

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 9:26pm

I was only allowed one back until our third cycle. Ever since then they have put two back. We had two put back with my daughter and two with this pregnancy, again another singleton. I do believe it improves your chances, but it really depends on your circumstances. My issues were partly eggs, (low AMH) so of course it improved my chances! I thank my lucky stars we put two back each time, because they may have put the duff one back and we'd have been looking at more cycles. Yes, there is a risk of multiple pregnancy, which is more complicated than a singleton pregnancy, but many, many people have normal, healthy twin pregnancy and births too. It isn't always bad news.

It is a huge decision and a very personal one. Discuss it with your DH and go with your gut. You will already know what that is telling you. Good luck. Xxx

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Amazing Grace" (Jan 27th 2013, 9:28pm)

Curlytails

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:)

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 9:28pm

My single embryo is currently tucked up in bed!

A single embryo could always result in twins (we've seen it here) and two could result in triplets (my friend was an example of this).

Good luck with your ET and don't be disapointed if you are only allowed one because that one embryo could give you the most amazing gift ever!

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

kate1981

• United Kingdom

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 10:06pm

You're all amazing. I'm so glad that I have found this forum as only women who have had fertility struggles can understand. All the stories and advice is greatly received. I've loved reading all of them. I know the reason I had ectopics and that was due to tubal damage. Both miscarriages were very early on. One embryo 'died' at 8 weeks and I ended up having to have a D&C and the other was probably about 5/6 weeks. I have raised concerns with my clinic about the possibility that I have something wrong with my eggs and that is why I miscarried. It does worry me quite a lot but then my first ectopic went to 10 weeks (developing normally just in the wrong place). Through doing HCG tests one of the other ectopics was considered to be developing abnormally. This worries me as if it had been in the right place may have led to what would have been my third miscarriage. I know that the doctors have concerns when you have three or more miscarriages. This is why I'm thinking two, at least if I get one abnormal I may get one healthy one. Who knows? If only we had a crystal ball!
I have a re-scan tomorrow morning to find out egg collection date, hopefully all will be good. Love to you all and best of luck to you..xx

Reg: May 14th 2009

Children: We are so lucky - our 'Little Wriggler' Lewis Young arrived safely on 03.09.2010 and we are so grateful to have been blessed again, as he now has a little baby brother on the way :o) X

Thursday, January 31st 2013, 1:56pm

Hi Kate,

I was 34 when we had our IVF cycle and had 2 blastocysts put back in because that is all we had but I am so glad that we had both put back in because we acheived a singleton pregnancy and we have our beautiful eldest son because of it. I kept thinking afterwards (and still do sometimes) what if they had only put one back in and it had been the wrong one?! You just have to be aware of the risks and prepared for the hard work that comes with twins (my sister had ICSI twins) just incase they do both happen to stick, but if we had had to have IVF again for our 2nd child I would have definately had 2 put back again. Good luck with your decision and fingers crossed that whatever you decide results in a BFP XXXXXXXX

Oct 07 - BFP - M/C
Dec 09 - IVF - BFP - DS#1 EC/S @ 40+6
Feb 12 - BFP - DS#2 @ 41
My Diary

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

kate1981 (04.02.2013)

kate1981

• United Kingdom

Monday, February 4th 2013, 9:45am

I didn't get to decide. There was only one embryo

Hi ladies

Thank you for all your responses. This is a great forum.

I had my egg collection last Wednesday. We got 10 eggs! I was so pleased. That evening DP & I were feeling pretty positive. I thought maybe it will be different this time after having 3 ectopics and two miscarriages.
We got the phone call from the clinic the next morning. The embryologist told us that we only had one egg fertilised. I was devastated. I couldn't believe that everything had been 'textbook' until this point. The embryologist told me they were also surprised.
I was too upset to carry on the conversation and needed some time to cry! DP was wonderful 'we only need one' he said. I felt as though I had nothing to play with. There was no longer the option to freeze any for another go. DP really held me that day but I'd already given up. I said to him it would be wonderful if the one fertilised egg we had was the one who was meant to be.
We had to phone the clinic on Friday morning to find out whether our one egg had continued to grow. It was a long and anxious wait but we found out that our one egg had turned into an embryo. We were given the option of implanting on Friday or waiting until Monday to see whether it had continued growing and reached blastocyst stage. We had 45 minutes to make this potentially life changing decision.
DP felt we should give the poor embryo a chance. The clinic told us that had we been paying for this cycle they would have told us to have it implanted that day and not wait for blastocyst. We went for it.
Its now Monday morning and I'm wondering if its reached blastocyst and implanted? Sadly no one can tell me that! I've got the dreaded 2ww.
I've been having tummy cramps, familiar to period pain. I don't know if that is a good sign/bad sign?
All I do know is that I have done everything I possibly could other than wait until blastocyst stage. I really hope its my time. I got up feeling a little sad this morning. I had a dream last night that I was bleeding. I don't think it helped that I'd watched 'Call the Midwife' on BBC 1 and that my sister had given birth to a baby girl on the 2nd and then hemorrhaged 10 minutes after the birth
Anyway if anyone has any success stories on a one embryo 5 cell transfer, I'd love to hear them.
Thank you so much for being here ladies, you'll never know how much it is appreciated.

Lots of love

Kate...xxx

Monday, February 4th 2013, 10:01am

Hi Kate,

Lots of luck with the 2WW! Usually for under 35's the doctors recommend a single embryo transfer especially once I gets to day 5 blastocyst as there is a greater chance of a pregnancy. Your one wee embry has all the room it needs to grow and develop. If it had of been poor quality they would never have mentioned a 5 day transfer, only the strongest ones get to that stage, so sounds all good :)

I have read lots about people in 2WW having cramps and symptoms just like period coming! I hope everything works out well for u xxx
3# Clomid BFN 2012
1# IVF Feb 2013 - BFN
1# FET Dec 2013 - BFN
Bring on 2014!!

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

kate1981 (04.02.2013)

Monday, February 4th 2013, 10:48am

It really does only take one. There are a few success stories on here recently of people in similar situations to you with only one embryo and who are pregnant now. Don't give up hope, you could have a real little fighter in there! I will keep everything crossed for you.

Tummy cramps are all good. Your body has to work the muscles to help the little one implant, which is hopefully what it is doing right now! Xxx

CK79

Reg: Dec 5th 2012

Monday, February 4th 2013, 11:06am

Hey Kate,

I too had only 1 egg tranferred after discussing 2 eggs the whole duing till then.
I got 8 eggs at transfer, 5 were suitable to ICSI. 3 fertilised.

I got there for my ET on 25th Jan and they explained that my 4 cells was very good and they would only be planting that one.
I also had a 4 cell & a 6 cell to freeze.

I am now 4 days from my test date and like yourself have been getting period like cramps and twinges.
I am putting it down to implanting and keeping my fingers, toes everything crossed :)

Keep strong, our wee embryos will be fine :) xox
babydust

CK :xxx3:

Reg: Aug 18th 2012

Children: 1 son who has just turned 3

Monday, February 4th 2013, 11:21am

My 3 yo ds was a 2 day 4 cell and the only one so. It can work.

Redwillows second climb of the horse My Diary

iui :BFN: X2

Ivf October 2008 :BFP: 1 beautiful baby1 10th July 2009

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

kat13

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Sep 16th 2010

Children: One beautiful little girl

What's Up?
:)

Monday, February 4th 2013, 12:18pm

Hi there and congratulations on being pupo. I hope the 2ww goes quickly for you. Why not join the 2ww chat here ** 2WW CHAT - no BFP/BFN chat please ** im sure there will be others at the same stage as you. It really helps to have others to talk to during the 2ww. Fingers crossed, and remember it really does only take one little embryo xx
Lily born 30/04/12
6 weeks early via c section

MY DIARY

KazzyM

Reg: Apr 5th 2011

Children: Very lucky to have a 4 year old boy and 5 month old boy both fertility treatment.

Monday, February 4th 2013, 1:11pm

Hi Kate,

It can happen , be positive. I only produced 2 eggs but one of them didn't fertilise properly. So with only one fertilised egg they went for a 2 day transfer. We are very lucky to now have a 10 month baby boy.

Lots of luck to you. Xx :)
2nd IUI Sept 2007 : tv :BFP:

1st IVF July 2011 :BFP:

kate1981

• United Kingdom

Monday, February 4th 2013, 2:45pm

Thank you all so much. I need to keep believing it can happen. Funnily enough I haven't been getting cramps today like I did on Saturday and Sunday. I just feel a bit sick. I think that must be nerves though!
I feel better after reading all your posts. Miracles do happen.
I googled cramping and apparently you can get it when implanting. I hope that my little embie has snuggled right in and found somewhere comfortable to grow for nine months. That would be wonderful. Take care ladies...xx

Reg: Mar 15th 2013

Friday, March 15th 2013, 3:38pm

Day 2 transfer

Hello ladies. I am new to this site so please bear with me!

I am currently in the middle of my first IVF ICSI cycle. I had egg collection yesterday. Although i was on a high level of Gonal F i only had 5 follicles. I had egg collection yesterday and they managed to get 7 eggs. I had the call this morning from the clinic to say that they fertilized 5 but only 2 were viable. They are now planning on a transfer on day 2 which is tomorrow. Should i be worried, as i was under the impression that a day 5 transfer would be preferable. Also, if both embryos are good enough to transfer, would it be best to have both transferred? I never thought that this would be such the emotional roller coaster it has been!!!

Much Love

xx

Friday, March 15th 2013, 9:49pm

Hi Michelle, well done on your 7 eggs. I really am a believer in less being better. Quality over quantities and all that. Fingers crossed those little embryos do their thang. 5 day transfer isn't always preferable. Some clinics prefer to get the embryos back into their natural environment as soon as possible, I've had early transfers with all my pregnancies (1 miscarried, 1 little girl and 1 little boy I'm carrying)Don't worry - its good to have your embryos back where they belong. Let us know how you get on and good luck! Xxx

Reg: Aug 12th 2010

What's Up?
(",)

Tuesday, March 19th 2013, 10:18pm

Hi Michelle. Your numbers sound exactly like mine! I had 6 eggs collected and two embies made it to day 3. I had both embies put back, and had one baby. I see from your other posts that you had both put back, so good luck for the 2WW.
Aug/Sept 2010 ICSI :BFP: :girl:

Reg: Mar 15th 2013

Saturday, March 23rd 2013, 7:50pm

Thankyou guys. I have just seen your posts! It is reassuring to know there have been successes from similar outcomes as me.
Fingers crossed!! Although now full on cold :-( xx