You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "graciemay" started this thread

Reg: Jan 26th 2013

Saturday, January 26th 2013, 11:22pm

Help...Scared of IUI

HI, I am new to the forum.

A little bit about me:

I have been on the waiting list for IUI since April 2011, Fertility issue is male factor. allthough I do have some ovulating issues.

I got prescriped clomid as I was not ovulating & my cycle was irregular. However i have had 1 course of clomic & my 10 day scan showed I had 1 good follicle 11mm. This is really good for me as previous scans (Before clomid) showed nothing was happening.

I am scheduled for another scan on 28/1/13 as the nurses are hoping it would have grown by then. If it has grown then I will get the shot and be ready for IUI sometime next week..

The only problem is Iam scared :S I know this may sound a bit silly especially as I have been waiting for this for nearlly 2 years. I find it very dificult to relax. Even when getting smear tests in the past the nurse was not best pleased with me as she had difficulty taking the smear test because i was so tense. I do not know I am doing anything & i honestly believe i am relaxed when i am not. I feel very embarrassed by this & it is making me very nervious for the IUI.

what if I can not relax and it doesnt work properly? or what if it is very painfull?

is their any relaxation techniques I can do before & even during IUI to help with this? The nurse who took the smear test advised me to lie on my back, knees bent with feet together as she said this would help. However It hasnt and im not sure what else to do?

Thanks

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Saturday, January 26th 2013, 11:59pm

hi,

first off, you will be fine IUI is slightl;y different from a smear. when you are lying down they will put your feet in stirrups. you do have a speculum inserted, but if you mention how nervous you are before the procedure, im sure they will do their utmost to reassure you. then a ctheter pipe is imserted, they tell me i could be slightly uncomfortable = but ive never felt a thing. then they'll bring the sperm in, put it the pipe and send swimmers on their way to meet your egg. so theres the practical side, now the emotional side.

i have had IUI, in the past, and i dont like speculums, they always catch my lips on exitand that comes a bit keen. but, with IUI, its different. because hopefully theyre putting in 1 half of yours and dhs baby. but i would explain youre nervous and when your feet go in stirrups, start to concentrate on breathing in and breathing out. if it helps just try to block out the bottom half and concentrate on breathing. you could also lie there chatting to the nurse, trying to use distraction trechniques on yourself.

honestly, you will be fine. it could be the start of your new baby and thats an exciting, happy time PMA PMA PMA. you will find you have an inner strength you never knew existed.

i wish you all the luck in the world

jade xx :thumbsup:
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Reg: Aug 18th 2012

Children: 1 son who has just turned 3

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 8:33am

I had 2 rounds of iui and the first one was soooo nervous they put the spectrum in and I was soo tense it shot out like a bullet from a gun narrowly missing the doc!
Then they gave me a small amount of diazepam and it worked so much better after that. So do talk to them before and let them know they will be able to help.

Good luck and hope it all goes well

Redwillows second climb of the horse My Diary

iui :BFN: X2

Ivf October 2008 :BFP: 1 beautiful baby1 10th July 2009

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

Curlytails

GLOBAL MODERATOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Apr 18th 2010

Children: One gorgeous boy

What's Up?
:baby:

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 9:41am

Hi and welcome

I hope you like it on here, we have very friendly and supportive members that are sure to make your TTC journey that little bit easier, I hope you feel right at home with us all soon.

Here are some links that you may find useful.

There is an abbreviations section HERE so you know what we're all going on about.

There is a ** GETTING STARTED - FZ FACTS, TIPS & HELP ** thread HERE this contains everything you need to know about getting started on FZ. We would appreciate it too if you could take a quick look over our brief terms of the site HERE so you can familiarise yourself with the one or two small rules we have, which help to keep FZ the safe and friendly site it is!

There is a ** NEW TO THE SITE? A BIT LOST? POST FOR HELP HERE!!! ** thread HERE where you can post any questions you have about how to use the site, a team member will answer you as soon as possible!

There is a how to search thread HERE so you can get the maximum benefit from the forum.

There is an IUI/DI section HERE and the IUI CHATTER is HERE so you can chat to other going through IUI.

There is a cycle buddies section HERE so you can get to know others having TX at the same time as you.

There is a 2WW section HERE and a 2WW CHAT thread HERE so you can compare every twinge and symptom with everyone else.

There is a clinic feedback & chat section HERE so you can look up your clinic and ask others any questions about it.

FertilityZone is free to join and 90% of the forum is free to use. You may however like to become a member and take advantage of all of the special benefits and fun bits that this gives you! We have a thread HERE which tells you how to subscribe and explains all of the extras that you will enjoy as a member!

And finally!! Have you seen that lots of our members have fancy names in their signatures? If you’re interested in having something similar it’s really easy to do. Have a look HERE to choose a style. If there isn't one you like there, let us know the kind of thing you'd like and we'll try and create one for you.

If you have any questions about anything, just ask. :smile:

Wishing you all the luck in the world with your TTC journey

6 x IVF, 3 x FET
3 x MMC, 3 x :BFN:, 1 x failed thaw
Two gorgeous boys.

United Kingdom

Reg: Nov 6th 2009

Children: 14 yr old DD & 14 month old DS

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 10:20am

:hi:
I had 2 rounds of IUI and was terrified as I know that my cervix can be a little tricky (?!) but due to the timings in your cycle, and the added hormones that you are taking, your cervix should be soft and slightly open ready to receive the goodies.
Pease don't think its going to hurt like a smear, I found them to be so much more gentle than the usual gp practice nurses! And this time they are giving you something special rather than scraping something away.
In my clinic I'd managed to see the same nurse or 2 for each of my scans so when it came to IUI I already had built up a relationship with the lovlies that were doing their best to help me towards my BFP.
Do mention to the nurse at your next scan thet you are nervous, they may show you the treatment room if you haven't seen it already and talk you through exactly what they plan on doing on the day and when each stage will happen. Chatting to the nurses on the day will also relax you a bit, even if it is just distraction :)
PMA....this could be the start of a wonderful pregnancy....now that is surely something to look forward to :thumbsup:
Good Luck

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 12:34pm

Hi, Gracie, and welcome
If you are really tense I agree that you should discuss it with the nurse or doc doing the insertion.
For me, I found that the IUI was no worse than the internal scans. My doc did not use stirrups but, unlike with smears, they are able to use some lubricant (lubricant on a smear can skew the results) so the insertion is not as bad.
I know this may sound strange but I have read that doing something like chewing gum or breathing deeply can be enough to distract you and help you relax your perineal muscles so that the insertion of the speculum is less uncomfortable...

Good luck, Hun, and let us know how you get on...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 6:32pm

Hi Everyone :)

Thank you so much for your reply & advice, Reading all your comments has helped me, & I will make sure I tell the nurses on the day that I am nervous & I will also speak with them tomorrow. I didnt know they could give you anything to help you relax, thats good to know :)

Redwillow - The bit about the spectrum shooting out like a bullet made me laugh as that is something that would happen to me lol.

Today I had a nice chat with friends & family who are very supportive & this has also helped ease my mind. I think I am more scared of the unknown if that makes sense.

I am going to have a relaxing night to night & make sure I have enough sleep for tomorrow, then I will find out what day I will be having the IUI. I will keep you all posted :)

thanks so much again it is greatly appreciated x

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental

Monday, January 28th 2013, 12:32pm

Hi, Gracie - the uknown is always daunting. Hopefully it won't be as bad as you are expecting...

Good luck

Thursday, January 31st 2013, 6:46pm

Hi Everyone,

Just to let you know I had the IUI today & I am now on my 2ww (well 18 day wait)

It wasnt like anything i had imagined. I found it actually quite okay, It was uncomfortable but that was mainly the spectrum going in. Once I relaxed however it was much easier.

I felt the catheter going in but it was just like a scratch/nip sort of feeling. i felt a bit strange afterwards,, but I think that was just excitement etc, I have had a few cramps/twinges since & a bit of wind haha (sorry maybe TMI :rollseyes: ) Has anyone else felt any these after having IUI?

:) x

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental

Friday, February 1st 2013, 11:36am

Hi, Gracie
Yes - it is quite common. I personally did not have any issues after IUI but a number of ladies report some degree or cramping and some experience a slight bleed esp if the catheter scratched the cervix going in, much the same as some women have a bit of bleeding after a smear.

Good luck on the 2WW...

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental

Monday, February 11th 2013, 5:49pm

hi, Gracie
how is the 2WW going?

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE