You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Minky333

• "Minky333" started this thread

Reg: Jan 24th 2013

Friday, January 25th 2013, 6:57pm

Is it safe to fly?

[zx119] I have a dilemma, My life has been on hold on waiting lists for ivf for the last 3 years, we never planned anything 'just in case' we were called up. Anyway new year new start I was asked to go to shanghai at Easter and gratefully accepted, next thing we can get ivf this month-brilliant all moving forward!! Now I'm thinking positively that it will work, but what do I do about the trip - still fly? Arghh

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Minky333" (Jan 25th 2013, 6:59pm)

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Friday, January 25th 2013, 8:18pm

It's absolutely no problem. I flew to Australia when I was 6 weeks pregnant (so 4 weeks after ET). Had my first scan in Sydney - a day I will never forget, celebrated with cupcakes, milkshake and a trip to the Opera.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Rachael*

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 22nd 2010

Children: Two boys & One girl :)

What's Up?
Keep growing little baby :pray:
Mummy & Daddy love you xx

Friday, January 25th 2013, 9:45pm

I agree with Newly Wed, i booked our holiday during our two week wait , i actually ended up doing my pregnancy test on holiday ( Magaluf ) It helped to keep my mind occupied on planning my holiday rather then the 2ww..
Think of all the women that go abroad for IVF, they have to fly :thumbsup:

Wishing you lots of luck xx
starsmile Rachael's Diary

FET August 2014 = :BFP: bab10

Friday, January 25th 2013, 9:58pm

I was really worried about this with my first pregnancy and never flew, but this time we've been on 8 flights during my first trimester and all was fine. You need to do what feels right for you. Xxx

Minky333

Friday, January 25th 2013, 11:17pm

Thank you ladies!! You've certainly put my mind at rest (for now) :thumbup: :thumbsup:

Reg: Apr 27th 2012

Children: One beautiful boy. Centre of our world.

Sunday, January 27th 2013, 4:59pm

Hello Minky

I'm sorry to take a different view, but I don't think flying is advisable. Both my private IVF clinics were very strict about no flying in the first trimester. It is also completely standard advice in other countries, e.g. Germany. There, they say no flying in the first or third trimester, IVF or not.

Also bear in mind how you might feel if you are newly pregnant and far from home. I flew in my second trimester (when pregnant with my little boy) to Germany and was there for a fortnight. I bitterly regretted it as I just wanted to be near my husband at home and couldn't wait to get back. There are other worries as well when you are away, e.g. risk of infection or food poisoning, immunisation etc.

I am really sorry to sound so downbeat - I know very well how you put your life on hold with IVF and how important it is to have things to look forward to - but your post has been playing on my mind and I just wanted to add my view.

Wishing you all the best for your cycle
Jenny x
One beautiful boy born in 2010 but multiple attempts for a sibling very sadly had to stop.

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Monday, January 28th 2013, 3:09pm

I don't think flying is advisable. Both my private IVF clinics were very strict about no flying in the first trimester. It is also completely standard advice in other countries, e.g. Germany. There, they say no flying in the first or third trimester, IVF or not.

Many clinics and consultants will advise against a great many things to err on the side of caution. Sometimes it's cultural, sometimes based on old wives tales of beliefs. Many women will not dye their hair or eat certain foods during pregnancy.

It's important therefore to question 'why'? The physical act of getting onto, sitting on and getting off an aeroplane cannot pose a risk to a healthy woman or a pregnancy so why would it be unsafe to fly during pregnancy? There may be a risk of dvt as the circulatory system changes, blood pressure changes and perhaps this is the main problem? Therefore would certain preventative measures bring these risks down to that of a non-pregnant person flying? Walking around, moving the body, being hydrated etc?

When pregnancy is involved and questions are asked about safety, it's important to question the answers so that we can make an informed choice as to whether the things we are told 'not' to do are actually unsafe, not recommended or in fact, perfectly harmless.

BeeS

Ace

Reg: Oct 31st 2009

Children: Two little boys born March '11 and Sept '13

Monday, January 28th 2013, 5:24pm

Honey, I'm with Bells.

Personally, I'd book it!

But get yourself some flight socks and don't eat dodgy food ;)
Bee

PCO/Amenorrhea. Resistant to Clomid. Success with Gonal F ovulation induction.
DS1 born Mar 11 and DS2 born Sept 2013

Minky333

Tuesday, January 29th 2013, 9:05am

Thank you so much ladies its good to get all sides and opinions! Ill keep u posted x : D

MissyG

Reg: May 8th 2013

Children: No children (yet)

Thursday, May 9th 2013, 11:13am

Hi guys,

I've just checked out this thread as I am contemplating flying on a weeks holiday 3rd July to Turkey. I'm not pregnant (yet) however in my 2ww after my first IVF cycle. My DH and I booked it on a whim several weeks ago when feeling really low, we thought it would be a old 'pick me up'. I am just really worried that IF we fall pregnant and decide to go ahead with the holiday that I'm at greater risk of miscarriage? Am I being selfish going? Obviously there is a financial aspect to this as we would lose a lot of money, but I want to confident that I will be okay as long as I make sensible choices re: food, drink etc.

Can anybody shed any light on this for me?

Thank you !!!
Missy G

TTC - 2010
First IVF - April 2013

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Thursday, May 9th 2013, 12:52pm

Hi, Missy
Many women who travel overseas for treatment fly home while on their 2WW. Whether you fly in this time or not should not have amy impact on the outcome.

One of my best friends flew during both of her successful 2WWs. One trip was from one of the scandinavian countries to the UK and the other from South Africa to the UK. Each one resulted in a healthy baby...

Good luck, Hun

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

mrsjasper

Megastar

Reg: Nov 2nd 2005

Children: 2 gorgeous girls

Thursday, May 9th 2013, 2:29pm

I flew during both my pregnancies with no problems whatsoever. Millions of women fly during pregnancy every day. And hundreds have fertility treatment abroad and have no choice but to fly home during the 2WW as Rene says. The risks associated with flying when you are not pregnant are teeny, teeny, tiny, and when yo are pregnant, teeny tiny, so as you can see from my accurate mathematical calculations, they're not very big. Go. Relax. Have a good time. Don't drink the tap water and protect your skin. Hopefully it will be your last holiday as a couple and next year you will be looking at family holidays.

Rene, I think I know who your friend is! Hope she is well, please pass on my regards next time you speak to her.

MissyG

Thursday, May 9th 2013, 3:53pm

Thanks so much guys for the feedback.

I have just been forsaking myself out as you read so any mixed views on the issue. Unfortunately some family members have been very shocked that I would even consider flying before 12wks (that's if I am lucky to be pregnant) :angel2:
I feel selfish or considering it but really I can't put life on hold anymore - also I found out that we would lose 100% of the money we paid for the holiday. I know you can't out a price on a baby but this is all a bug if and there is no definitive answer from medical professionals on this issue .

Thanks again hopefully I get my BFP and can prepare for the holiday with flight socks etc xx
Missy G

TTC - 2010
First IVF - April 2013

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 11th 2008

Children: 1 wee lad

Friday, May 10th 2013, 4:22pm

I have just returned from holiday in benidorm and got a shock natural BFP

Had I known beforehand I'm unsure if I would have taken the risk or cancelled the holiday. Going on my past history I would probably have played it safe but I didn't know but my happy news obviously hasn't been affected by flying

Take care and get some fetching flight socks!!

Ex: 4xICSI = 2x BFP(2x m/c) + 2x BFN
met my awesome BF lurve in sept 2012
Shock natural :BFP: May2013

arrived early (high BP & pre eclampsia) by EMCS at 35+6
baby4 home safe on Xmas day

MissyG

Friday, May 10th 2013, 7:38pm

:thumbsup: Congratulations on your great news Shirls !!! Fantastic news !!!!!

Obviously I'm not pregnant at the minute but I'm thinking that I might risk if and just be extra cautious?? Selfish maybe but I have to weigh up the realistic risks with the potential positives. We both really need the break and it could really help us relax.

Xxx

:wave:
Missy G

TTC - 2010
First IVF - April 2013

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE