You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "#wannabmummy" started this thread

Reg: Aug 3rd 2012

Friday, January 18th 2013, 10:53am

Confused about which test is for what??

Hi,

I know i have already asked simular questions in this topic but i am so confused.

I asked my GP if they could test me for NK Cell an they said they would for £70. Privatley, its would cost £360.. Surely this cant be the same test... She mentioned a blood test but i thought the NK Cell test was done mid cycle of AF (or so many days after) and was done by an examination also.

Can someone tell me i the NHS are talkin about the same test? She did tell me to get the whole name of the test to know we are talking about the same one.

Also, the clotting test, is that the same as the NK Cell, can they tell this from the same test??

Im so confused, i cant afford the whole 'immune testing' as its thousands.

Can somebody possibly help? Maybe give me the full name and type of test i am needing?

Thanks in advance

1st IVF in Feb 2012 = :BFP: but sadly a MMC @ 9.5 weeks :sniff:
2nd IVF in Sep 2012 = :BFP: M/C @ 6 wks.... :tears:
Can i take any more??? time for a break
NK Cell tested in April 2013 - Normal : D
3rd IVF in July 2013 - nervous but very excited

:xxx3:

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Saturday, January 19th 2013, 11:37am

HI wannabemummy,
I don'y know about nhs testing for nk cells. The NK cells tests can be done at any time as it is not related to your period and yes it's a blood tests. When I did mune they took 19 small ampules of blood, but I did the full immunology tests.
The blood clotting test is not the same as the nk cells tests. The blood clotting tests shows if your blood has a tendency to clot more than normal. If that is the case then you will have to take aspirin and/or heparin.
For more info check this: Reproductive Immunology, recurrent miscarriages and unexplained infertility

**Admin/Moderator note - This post contains an unconfirmed link/information and readers are reminded that FertilityZone.co.uk is not responsible for the content of external internet sites**

Take care.

Saturday, January 19th 2013, 1:20pm

Thanks maria for replying...

I will take a look at your link

:-)

Reg: Mar 18th 2010

Children: Little one on the way....so excited long awaited!

Sunday, January 20th 2013, 9:48pm

My NK was done with FGA Dr Gorgy was a couple of tubes and reason it cost so much is that it goes off to the USA x not sure about NHS x
Me34 DH40
MF LC/Poor MOT
Sept 2010/Apr11 - 2 x icsi -BFN
FET Sep11- 3 No Thaw
Dr Gorgy Jun12 :BFP:
bab22 Evan born 25/01/13 perfect baby7

Monday, January 21st 2013, 3:41am

Hi,

The NHS have said they will do the test for £70... I did query this cos the cost was such a difference. They suggested to get the proper name for the test, i spoke to my old clinic and they advised it was just called NK Cell test. My GP said according to them, it doesnt get sent over to america (i was also previously told it was sent to america)
It does sound a bit iffy, but i have been assured my the clinic, there is juat the one name and it is correct.

X

Reg: Jan 2nd 2012

Children: Me none but my hubbie has 3

Monday, January 21st 2013, 5:36am

Hi wannabe. I've just had a cycle at ARGC in London with immune treatment. All I no is the nk cells is just 1 part of the immune treatment. They test other things as well. Think there's 3 in total. 1 is the nk's,1 is cytokleins (not sure of the spelling) and can't remember the other. All 3 are treated differently and is all very expensive. Think the initial tests are about £1000 and as far as I know can only b done in Chicago. From my experience of trying to get help through GPS is not worth the agro. Although they try they have very little knowledge on fertility treatment and just end up having to redo things.
My last cycle I made friends with a lady who was a GP. She certainly was having to pay for tests. I'm sure if she could of got them done for free she would of!
Lastly the cost of immune treatment is horrific and spirals so be prepared. So far it's added at least 10k to my treatment and rising but absolutely worth every penny. I've just finished my 5 cycle and had my first ever BFP and am 10 weeks pregnant with twins!!!!!
icsi Plymouth June & Oct 11 BFN
FET CRGH Jan & April 12 BFN
Icsi ARGC twins born to soon :girl: :boy:
Isci ARGC twins again 12/6/14 :girl: :boy:

Reg: Jan 2nd 2012

Children: Me none but my hubbie has 3

Monday, January 21st 2013, 5:38am

Ps lots of luck xxx
icsi Plymouth June & Oct 11 BFN
FET CRGH Jan & April 12 BFN
Icsi ARGC twins born to soon :girl: :boy:
Isci ARGC twins again 12/6/14 :girl: :boy:

Monday, January 21st 2013, 7:07am

Congrats mary poppins on your BFP.. Wow twins.. U are very lucky!!

Im so confused... I was originally told by 1 clinic that they test the NK in chicago but then the other clinic didnt mention anything about it... I think im going to have to re-ask the question....really confused.
I cant afford to have the whole hog when it comes to immune testing and have treatment so i thought if i could have the NK and maybe the blood clotting test, then that should be enough for now...

I really dont know who the best people are to ask as different clinics are giving me opposite info....

X

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Monday, January 21st 2013, 8:17am

I am sorry you are confused. The GP will not do the immune testing because there haven't been proper scientific trials to say that immune treatment works, so NHS clinics and GP don't offer this service. The blood clotting test is done through the GP because that is a proven cause of mc.
There are two sets of immune testing.
Level 1. This is basic testing and to my knowledge will not include nk. these tests will tell your clinic if you need to take aspirin, heparin and steroids during your treatment.
Then there is level 2 testing, which will include all of the NK cells test, LAD, tyroid anitbodies and the cytokines as well as the level 1. These will tell your clinic if you need to take extra progesterone, intralipids/IVIgs as well as aspirin, heparin and steroids during your treatment and if you become pregnant.

Most clinics will not do level 2 tests as they don't have the facilities nor the contact with the Chicago labs. Care, the argc, Dr Gorgy and zita west are the one that I know for sure do immunology tests.

You will have to ask your clinic to give you a list of the tests they offer. NHS clinics, GPs and hospitals do not normally offer these tests.

Here is some more info:
INFO: A ROUGH GUIDE TO IMMUNOLOGY
DR BEERS IMMUNE INFORMATION/RECOMMANDATIONS
NATURAL KILLER CELLS
5 categories of immune issues
Positive Antinuclear Antibody (details)

1 registered user thanked already.

Users who thanked for this post:

#wannabmummy (21.01.2013)