You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Gracie

• "Gracie" started this thread

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Wednesday, January 16th 2013, 1:04pm

So, who really manages to get 'five a day' down their toddler's neck?

:hello:

Right, I am struggling and need to know that I am not the only person who is!

Freya has always been anti vegetables and I hide them in lots of things to get them down her neck (I grate carrot and courgette into lots of things) but now I am really starting to struggle with fruit too! She used to eat lots of fruit but it seems to be getting harder at the moment. Even the reliable banana is a little out of favour, what a nightmare!

She likes the innocent smoothies for kids, thank goodness as that counts as one but I just worry that she's not getting enough. Damn those silly government guidelines, I am sure our parents never worried about shoving five a day into all of us and I think the pressure of this makes me perhaps worry more than I need to.

Am I alone in this? I know I am probably not but it would be nice to hear some other stories/suggestions?!? My DH is always saying to stop worrying and that there are plenty of children being raised who probably eat processed rubbish day in day out and continue to thrive but I am just trying to make sure she eats well and healthily.

Ta! :)

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

BeeS

Ace

Reg: Oct 31st 2009

Children: Two little boys born March '11 and Sept '13

Wednesday, January 16th 2013, 2:37pm

Hello Gracie

Sounds like Freya has a very caring Mummy + Daddy and that's got to be worth more than the odd vitamin!

I have a 21-month-old who has just recently started to be fussy. He never had the biggest appetite but was relatively keen on most foods, with the exception of mushrooms - I was quite happy with that! But now he turns his nose up at lots of things including former favourites like pear, apple, banana, carrots and any fish or meat, except fish fingers and mince.

I was just saying to DH the other day, so many small children are really fussy about food even when they have good, relaxed role models at home, so maybe it's right for toddlers to have a limited diet - maybe it's somehow good for them! I reckon that as long as they are getting good nutrition it's probably fine. Otherwise there is a serious design flaw in them. And most of them seem to grow up OK so that can't be true...

So clearly I have no magic solutions as I am relatively new to the whole fussy thing but here are some of my tricks:

• grating veggies (like you!) into pasta sauces / shepherds pie / omlettes / fritters

• long sticks of fruit/veggies for dipping into sweet or savoury sauces (I found a sugar-free ketchup that he loves! but I have to make sure no spoons are to hand otherwise he just eats the sauce with the spoon...)

• fruit purees - I get the Clearspring organic ones which are yummy and better value than lots of organic baby purees - and I use them as dipping sauces / on top of homemade rice pudding / on top of cereals

• air-dried apple crisps! I've also looked at veggie crisps but they all seem quite high in salt so have contemplated making my own but not got that far yet...

• LO still seems to like small round veg and fruit - peas, sweetcorn, blueberries - so that's something for now...

• a few of weeks ago, after he'd suffered 3 successive colds I got a multivitamin/mineral formula for him to keep him topped up and although I don't bother with it every day, I give this to him a couple of times a week - I don't know what difference this can really make but it's a reassuring top-up, especially in the winter months

• last but not least, baked beans = 1 of your 5-a-day! woohoo!

I'm keen to read other people's solutions and ideas too! So thanks for the thread.

Bee
Bee

PCO/Amenorrhea. Resistant to Clomid. Success with Gonal F ovulation induction.
DS1 born Mar 11 and DS2 born Sept 2013

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Wednesday, January 16th 2013, 3:41pm

Hi hun

Have you tried different fruits? Kaynan loves pomegranate pips. Hed eat them all the time.

What about a carton of pure juice? That would count as another one. My dentist recommends a carton with a straw cause less touchs the teeth then.

What about getting a milkshake maker? Kaynan had one for xmas from smyths that makes a moo sound. Fruit and calcium in one hit.

Could try cereal with fruit in, jelly with fruit in, making pizza and putting roast veg on top, hot cross buns, toast or rice cakes with avacodo- cobi loves them.

What about muller corner yog yogs?

Sorry if these are things youve already tried. Would write more but on my phone.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust:

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Wednesday, January 16th 2013, 9:21pm

I'm in the same boat too! DD1 is far more fussy than DD2 at the moment but both have their moments. I've got no more suggestions of how to sneak fruit and veg into their diets but I've decided to take the chilled out approach now after getting myself in knots about it.

Reg: Aug 18th 2012

Children: 1 son who has just turned 3

Wednesday, January 16th 2013, 9:35pm

I had this problem with ds but I would leave them cut up everywhere if he was watching a DVD I would plonk a big bowl in front of him and he would eat loads with out realising
I also would sit him at the table with 1 item of fruit like a slice of apple and then would sit at the table myself with loads of other things like banana and orange I would try to have 4 or 5 different things and of course he would want those off my plate!!

He also loved helping me chop up the soft fruit to make pudding I gave him a baby knife and a banana and he thought it was great to be a big boy and help mummy cooking. Mushrooms are great too for chopping

Now he never stops with fruit!

Good luck and remember it is probably just a faze as well!

Redwillows second climb of the horse My Diary

iui :BFN: X2

Ivf October 2008 :BFP: 1 beautiful baby1 10th July 2009

September start for number 2 :BFP: [zx076] seen 7+3 , 12+3 ,16+5,21+4 and 28 bab21

Reg: Feb 9th 2010

Children: 1 perfect boy born after icsi tx

Wednesday, January 16th 2013, 10:00pm

In the same boat so am interested to hear any tips. My little man will eat pears and bananas, no other fruit despite loving everything 2 or 3 months ago. Veg is the same battle, he had a really bad bug a while back and wouldn't eat anything, all we could tempt him with was mashed potato and yogurts. Now he won't eat any dinner unless it's all mashed up. I was getting a bit stressed by it all but have decided to chill a bit and see how things go over the next few weeks. Best of luck!

FET JAN 2012 - 2 embies :BFN:
2 still on ice for another day xfingers

My Diary

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Wednesday, January 16th 2013, 10:55pm

I let O pick the grapes off and put them in the bowl. She also likes innocent smoothies and eats carrots and sweetcorn.

However, I figured that there's no point getting stressed about it because O will only eat what she wants to eat. So recently Nutella sandwiches are a favourite, as is pasta with pesto!

She's always seemed to know what she needs so I let her go with it. As long as she's not eating crisps all day or sweets (she doesn't have a sweet tooth luckily!) I figure that as she becomes more reasonable she will eat more!

Or that's what I'm hoping!!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

sasha146

Reg: Aug 13th 2011

What's Up?
Adoption assessment complete

Thursday, January 17th 2013, 8:24pm

What about freezing fruit or fruit and yoghurt into ice lolly trays, that way they think there getting a treat but it's really fruit

x
ME 30 DH 37

ICSI Oct 11 :BFP
bab11 July 12
FET Aug 14 BFN
FET Nov 14 BFN
What's next??

Grace

Princess of the Universe

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 29th 2008

Children: 1 beautiful little son conceived through ICSI and one equally beautiful little boy concieved naturally!

What's Up?
Oh god I've got Puppies!

Friday, January 18th 2013, 1:55pm

I think they go through phases, J eats lots of fruit and veg but L only likes fruit. Just before L was born J decided he hated bananas but not a year on he eats at least 1 a day. when he didn't eat them i used to make banana bread which he loved and used up the brown bananas, now between the pair of them I don't get any bananas left over. L won't eat any veg other than peas and sweetcorn but will eat most fruit (apart from raw apples, mango, papaya and suspicious looking raspberries) he will, however, eat carrot if you put it in a sweet muffin, usually he's quite good at spotting hidden veg - and he doesn't eat pasta so I can't hide stuff in sauce. Remember that things like baked beans are also one of their 5 a day and you can make your own version to save on the salt and sugar content. Yesterday I made baked apples with raisins, butter and a tiny amount of honey and both ate it so fast that I hadn't even had time to get comfortable in my chair before it was gone, that was 2 of their 5 a day then!

You may find in a month or two you're shelling out a fortune on soft fruit again.

ICSI BFP DS1 born Nov 09
Natural BFP DS2 born Sept 11

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Friday, January 18th 2013, 2:50pm

Mine love berries and will hoover up an entire carton of blueberries in one sitting. If you are really desparate and can't get you LO to eat fresh fruit and veg, there are lots of 'treats' that count as one of their 5 a day including raisins, juice, Humzingers ( which my girls love), Ella's Kitchen smoothie pouches and also baked beans.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Gracie

What's Up?

Friday, January 18th 2013, 6:31pm

Thank you all! Glad I'm not alone in this (I knew I wasn't but it makes me feel better to read it!)

Sasha - I did that very thing the other day, Freya helped me and was licking the spoon. Sadly, she did not get to eat one of her 'rabbit' ice creams last night due to bad behaviour with her dinner! I can't win :snigger: I am hoping she might get one tonight but have currently had to leave the room as she's driving me nuts picking at salmon and egg. Daddy has taken charge and Raggles the rabbit is also helping by the sounds of it.

Having now written and read I don't think she's actually doing too badly, I just worry too much! I grate courgette and carrot into lasagnes and shepherds pies and of course fling in tinned toms, she loves the pasta sauce I make which has all sorts in it too. The innocent smoothies are going down very well and yes, thank goodness for baked beans! I buy the low sugar/salt ones (have done for years). What a shame tomato ketchup doesn't count eh?

Redwillow - I sometimes cut stuff up and just leave it lying about too. I've learned the more fuss you make the less inclined she is to eat it. Now I just tell her it's there and leave her to get on with it, more often than not it is eaten, although she's taken to peeling a satsuma but refusing to eat it after initially eating them like sweets a few weeks back. Go figure!

Bees - She has the Well Baby vitamin syrup as it's the only one with iron in it and she was on an iron tonic a while back after a weird virus so I've just carried on.

Grace - I still am shelling out a fortune on foreign Strawberries which goes against my belief but she eats them!

I also make jelly with pureed fruit, frozen berries just blitzed up and strained.

OK, so things are clearly not that bad are they, I just worry a lot and I guess that's the point. If I didn't worry she probably wouldn't consume any at all, and heaven help her if it was just up to her father!

Thanks again all, it's interesting to read what you all try!

xxxxx

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

BeeS

Ace

Friday, January 18th 2013, 10:18pm

Snap with the wellbaby! And I love your idea of jelly. I have some half-forgotten gelatine in the cupboard so plan to try that tomorrow - fun activity for a snow day!
Bee

United Kingdom

Reg: Sep 24th 2006

Children: Three gorgeous daughters!

Friday, January 18th 2013, 11:45pm

I grate courgette and carrot into lasagnes and shepherds pies and of course fling in tinned toms, she loves the pasta sauce I make which has all sorts in it too.

I put frozen spinach in with any mince I cook or any tomato based sauces, it goes into tiny little pieces a bit like herbs so is another one you can sneak. It works so well in our house DH hasn't even noticed, he hates spinach apparently!

Gracie

What's Up?

Saturday, January 19th 2013, 2:03pm

Great idea Polly, I'd not thought of spinach, will give it a try.

Bees - You can get some cute jelly moulds in Lakeland Plastics, they are individual pots and seem to be just the right amount for Freya. Not expensive either (unusual for Lakeland!!)

xx

TTC since 04/06

One early loss, 04/09

Reg: May 28th 2009

Sunday, February 3rd 2013, 10:11pm

I envy all who can get their toddlers to eat veggies!! Lily loves fruit but hates veggies. I hide veg in pasta sauce but that's the only time she will eat it. If it looks like a carrot, pea, corn, she spits it out in disgust. So frustrating!!!! Had a talk with the health visitor about it the other week and she talked about doing smiley faces and such with veg to make it more fun. Lily would not be fooled by that at all!

What age/stage do they get to when you can get them to eat vegetables in their whole form?

And thank god for wellbaby!!!

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Natural_Horse" (Feb 3rd 2013, 10:13pm)

BeeS

Ace

Wednesday, February 13th 2013, 10:44am

Gracie, I'm off to Lakeland! Thanks for the tip - I only have giant moulds so wee ones would be a great help. I LOVE the jelly idea.

Natural Horse, I'm sure every little one is different but a mum friend of mine who used to struggle with getting veggies into her toddler now has a 4-year-old who ASKS FOR MORE BROCCOLI! So there's hope for us all. If our little ones are growing up in families with good, healthy diets, these fads will surely pass...

My lad seems to like carrots again now but prefers to throw his blueberries across the room. It's swings and roundabouts!
Bee

BeeS

Ace

Saturday, May 31st 2014, 11:52am

This is an old post but I remembered it recently as my toddler, now 3.02 is still a bit fussy with fruit and veg. He loves apples, pears, bananas, grapes and peas but it's hit and miss with anything else. So I popped back to remember what everyone's tips were!

My latest trick is squashing soft fruit through a sieve - he'll happily help me squish strawberries through a sieve with the back of a spoon then slurp up the juices even though he won't touch one if it's whole or sliced. Funny boy!

I'm up for more ideas if anyone has any...
Bee

Flic

Italy Poland

Reg: May 8th 2008

Children: Had my first daughter on 25th February 2010!

What's Up?
Stressed.

Saturday, May 31st 2014, 3:51pm

Grow your own! We grow veg and O loves pulling up carrots and cooking them and eating them!

Our miracle was born on 25.02.2010!!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE