You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Merlin1664" started this thread

Reg: Oct 16th 2012

Tuesday, October 23rd 2012, 6:12pm

IUI is it for me?

Sorry to sound stupid but I'm quite new to all this. After ttc naturally for a few years I need to take action before I get way too old! What is IUI best for? I sometimes ovulate (last 2 blood tests I did in one but didn't in the other one). Have one slightly dodgy tube. DB swimmers are fine. I'm 43. Do you think IUI is for me?

Tuesday, October 23rd 2012, 6:19pm

I'm no expert, but I'd say given your age and issues IVF would be better for you. Xxx

• "Merlin1664" started this thread

Reg: Oct 16th 2012

Tuesday, October 23rd 2012, 6:36pm

Thanks. Maybe I should say I don't have much money and have missed the free nhs help! :-(

Reg: Aug 1st 2009

Children: 4 boys 3 living 1 deceased

What's Up?
Life is getting there - mainly good days

Tuesday, October 23rd 2012, 6:40pm

hi

theres always,ivf abroad if plane tickets/hotels still make it a cheaper option. it may well be suggested you use donor eggs or even iui.

the best advice I can give tou is get in touch with a clinic have varied tests ran & then decided after results & consultatuon whaat is the best way forward for you and your dh.

good luck with your journey

xxxxxx
After a long hard infertility journey, i am now reluctantly done

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Tuesday, October 23rd 2012, 7:46pm

Hi, Merlin
Most clinics recommend that ladies over age 38-40 go straight to IVF. Some clinics may agree to do IUI for older ladies if they have no tube problems and if they really argue very hard for it but, in all honesty, they may just as easily tell you that if you want to go the IUI route you may as well not go for treatment as the success rate is so much lower, esp if you are over 40.
If you do not ovulate regularly (and sometimes even if you do), the clinic will still do the ovarian stimulation which has quite a high cost due to the drugs that need to be given. Also, depending on whether the clinic offers a package or a "per visit" billing system, you may need to pay for each visit and scan as well as the cost of preparing the sperm sample for use.

Good luck, Hun, with whichever way you decide to go in the end...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE