You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "molsykins" started this thread

Reg: Sep 5th 2012

Wednesday, September 5th 2012, 7:22pm

Help! Confused over AMH results

Hi everyone,I will quickly try and explain our situation.I am 33 and my husband 36.We already have a child who was conceived naturally very quickly and he will be 1 on Saturday.My husband had to undergo radiotherapy to his spine (benign tumour) and the treatment finished a month ago. We have been told that its probable he will have been made infertile by the radiation, as it can scatter to the testicles.So as a back up we froze sperm and we are looking to start IUI next month.We have to wait a year to test his sperm and to try naturally if there is any sperm there. So we didn't want to wait.I had my FSH/E2 and AMH tested.I had the FSH and E2 done by GP and AMH paid for at clinic.I had consultation today, and I having picked up my FSH and E2 results last week, I thought they were ok. 8.7 for FSH and E2 was 32. So I thought AMH would be ok and we would proceed as what we thought to planning IUI.Howver the consultant said my fertility levels are poor. I am really upset. She said my FSH should be under 7, and my AMH which is 4, she would have expected to be 5 for my age.She said I must not panic however, and I have got some time left and not to worry. She confirmed that yes, IUI would be the best route (husbands sperm was all fine and we have 14 vialls(!)). She also said I wouldn't need assisted IUI just natural. so surely that means I am not that bad?I'm confused :(

Wednesday, September 5th 2012, 7:38pm

Hello Molsykins,

Firstly, I am sorry to hear about your husband and I hope he is recovering well. It is good that they were able to freeze sperm, so you can try for siblings.

Secondly, I am not downing what your clinic said, but sometimes different clinics have different levels of acceptance. With FSH my clinic like it to be under 10, but I have heard of some who like it to be under 15. Yours are obviously just very cautious liking it to be under 7. I am not an expert, but I would say your FSH is fine just now, besides it isn't really accurate to judge it on one test alone. Your AMH does put you in the low fertility bracket, but just wanted to share that mine was 2 and I had an FSH of 13, which lowered to 10 on another test and a host of other issues, but my daughter has just turned 1, same age as your LO. So, don't give up hope - miracles do and can happen to you too!

Hope that helps and wishing you well on your journey. Keep us updated on your treatments. Xxx

Gracie

Reg: Jul 15th 2007

What's Up?
I now have double the trouble :)

Wednesday, September 5th 2012, 8:11pm

Hello

I would be careful about trying to interpret AMH results as based on what I know I would say five would be considered low (sorry not trying to scare you). I know there is more than one scale used to measure this though so it might be worth trying to find out how it's been calculated before you start getting upset and Googling yourself into a stress (sorry, you are probably a sensible person who doesn't use Dr Google but lots of us are guilty of it!!)

Can I say my AMH was 1.79 when it was measured a few years back and after conceiving through donor egg IVF I have since conceived naturally and have only five weeks to go!

Try not to worry, if you conceived your first baby quickly then I would say you probably haven't got too much to worry about. I hope your husband is recovering well, that must have been a worrying time, my DH had a benign tumour in his stomach a couple of years back and it's scary stuff isn't it.

:goodluck: to you both.

xxx

Me - 40 AMH 1.79, DH - 45
TTC since 04/06
6 x TX to date, inc 2 DIVF in Barcelona

One early loss, 04/09
Freya Grace arrived on 6/11/10 - Perfect at 6lb and 1/2 oz

Amazing natural :BFP: on 12/02/12
Poppy Ann arrived on 13/10/12 - Born at home weighing 6lb 12oz

We got there in the end! happydance

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Wednesday, September 5th 2012, 8:19pm

Hi and welcome to :FZ:
Unfortunately as the girls have said here a lot depends on the clinic, rather than your results being good or bad. There are also different scales to measure hormones, so try not to worry. The fact that they are asking you to do a natural cycle is perfectly ok.
Check this for more info on fsh and amh POF/FSH/Menopause FAQs
(don't get scared by the title though!)

Wednesday, September 5th 2012, 10:18pm

That link is sooo helpful! Thank you. I have been googling AMH stuff for about 4 hours... Not good.

The clinic uses the ng measurements. She said 5 would be about normal for my age, 33. And I got 4.
I thought fsh of 8.7 would be ok too.

I was all excited and raring to go. Positive mental attitude is so important yet I feel disheartened.

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Thursday, September 6th 2012, 7:28pm

4 is not much lower than 5! If you look at the link FSH of 7 is good too but please make sure you are comparing the same units though or look at the ranges of your clinic/lab as they may differ.

Thursday, September 6th 2012, 10:25pm

Hi

I'm ringing clinic tomorrow for clarification, as I'm confused about the level being 4, and 5 would hardly make a difference. Seems bit weird.

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Friday, September 7th 2012, 4:24pm

Don't forget to ask the units.

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Friday, September 7th 2012, 5:24pm

Hi and welcome, Hun
I hope that you will be happy here on FZ. Our IUI thread is pretty quiet but, when you are ready, feel free to pop in onto the IUI chatter thread.
Hoping that the clinic will give you more clarity today...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!