You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Bess

• "Bess" started this thread

Reg: Jul 4th 2011

Thursday, June 21st 2012, 11:50pm

Any advice on risks of having 2 frosties put back?

Hi ladies,
Just been for my review after my 3rd failed IVF and the Consultant has really freaked me out.
For the first time we have 2 frosties (hooray)! Blasts grade 2.2 (funny blast grade but hey ho!). I want them both putting back but consultant said basically its too risky cos I'm slim ! I'm not like mega thin, just tall and slim. He said what did I want, a healthy singleton delivered at 36 weeks or to lose twins!!!! So upset. I know they have to explain there are risks and I know the HFEA are putting pressure on to reduce multiples but is it really this risky ???

Dunno what to do !

Bess x

United Kingdom

Reg: Dec 22nd 2008

Children: Beautiful twin daughters and two grown up stepdaughters

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 12:08am

My twins were born at 33 weeks in pretty bad shape. They are both fine now, and I would not change it for the world, but if I'd know what they would have to go through I would have thought much harder about taking the risk. Having twins is the most amazing and special thing, but it is really important to consider all of the risks when making the decision to have a double transfer.

Whatever you decide I'm sure you will be fine and I wish you the best of luck with your FET.
Newly Wed

ICSI December 2008 - chemical pregnancy
ICSI May 2009 - BFN
FET September 2009 - BFP
Beautiful twin girls born 30 April 2010

Switzerland

Reg: Oct 21st 2009

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 8:52am

Blimey that all sounds a bit scaremongery Bess - poor you and what an insensitive way of putting it!
I can't speak from personal experience but my friend has just had twins - also v tall and slim. She is also pretty fit so am sure this makes a difference. She carried them to term and had to be induced in the end - everyone is different. What is your gut feeling?
xx

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 7th 2011

Children: 2 little beans on the way!

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 12:24pm

Bess, I can understand the consltant's concern (mine was the same about putting 2 back) but I don't think they've really been very sensitive about explaining why. There are increased risk with having twins but there are plenty of slim Mum's of twins out there who have carried to at least 36 weeks. Also, if you have a cheeky embryo like my LO that was put back, it could split anyway and you'd still end up with twins :) I'm 5ft 4 but only a size 8 and so far so good.

Me:30
DH:38
TTC since 2008
6xClomid 2010 :BFN:
3xIUI 2011 :BFN:
1st IVF Feb 2012 :BFP: Identical twins :boy: :boy: born 23/10/12

My Diary

Reg: May 30th 2010

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 12:36pm

What would happen to the other blast? Would it stay in the fridge or go to waste?

Rianon

Reg: Mar 16th 2011

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 12:59pm

Hi Bess

It's only my opinion but I think he is being overly cautious for a couple of reasons:

1. Frosties are not all necessarily going to defrost and still be viable, so even if you defrost both you might only get one to put back
2. Frosties are not as strong as fresh embryos, so the odds of pregnancy are always lower with them than with fresh. So the odds of falling pg with both seem pretty unlikely to me.
3. So many people have 2 fresh embryos put back and only get 1 baby. In our post-cycle group I think almost everyone had two put back and there isn't a single twin pregnancy between us. And those were almost all fresh ones, never mind frosties.

Would they even defrost one for you? I was always told you needed 2 or more to freeze as they wouldn't only freeze one as the odds of them thawing and being ok to progress were so slim. So if they defrosted both, you would be losing one which would be really sad.

I think you need to take the advice with a pinch of salt. I had two fresh put back and only I survived, would I do it again, definitely! I have 2 frosties waiting for me, and if I am ever lucky enough to use them, I would definitely go for both.

But that is just my opinion. Good luck anyway, I hope you get your pregnancy :)

x

Me 35, DH 37 [zx151]
2 x ICSI :BFN:
1 x FET :BFN:
Nov 11 - 3rd ICSI (Immunology Cycle) :BFP: Please stay with us :pray:

Jewels' Journey - My Diary

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 3rd 2012

Children: Hopefully one day

What's Up?
Gutted

Friday, June 22nd 2012, 5:13pm

Hi Bess,

So glad to hear things are moving on for you (May wasn't a great month for either of us!) and that you have 2 frosties to try again :thumbsup:

MFS told me that there was a better chance of achieving pregnancy with 2 frozen blastos than 1 and were happy to put 2 Grade 1 blastos back each time for me. Then again, I'm not exactly a living success story :-(

I guess if you put them back one at a time, it means you get 2 chances and there's a lower risk of having twins. I know there's an increased risk of complications with twins, but I'm not really sure how much/what the risks are - there seems to be a lot of ladies on here that have carried twins successfully though - it's a pretty hard call to make.

Good luck with whatever you decide. Keep us posted!

C xx

Me and DH: 39. TTC since Dec 2007 - unexplained infertility. Started IVF Aug 2011: 6 failed cycles (4 fresh, 2 FET); 3 blastos on ice

MY DIARY

Bess

Saturday, June 23rd 2012, 12:52pm

Thank you for all of your helpful replies ladies. As far as I'm aware they will keep the other froze and I guess they would defrost it if the first one failed to thaw. I guess since its a private clinic they will keep then frozen in order that you cough up more to have another FET. A little cynical, I know. I just struggle to believe that all of my embryos have failed so far but suddenly 2 are going to take at the same time. Hmmm these decisions are pretty difficult aren't they ?

Saturday, June 23rd 2012, 3:14pm

Just to add another dimension for you to think about..... I know that it is extremely hard to say one way or the other what it is that works or doesn't when we have embryos transferred back into the womb, but because of my immune issues I don't believe my little daughter would be here today if we hadn't had 2 put back. It is not always just about the eggs themselves, but can sometimes be about our bodies and their acceptance of our little embryos, if you get me. These are just my own gut feelings about how things have worked for me and I thought I'd share. xxx

Bess

Saturday, June 23rd 2012, 5:05pm

Thanks Amazing Grace, I really do want to try and look at it from all dimensions so that I can make an informed decision. Up until my meeting with the Consultant the other day I had always pushed for 2 to go back without hesitation. It is only because he has put the frightners on me that I am starting to doubt myself a bit. I know everyone is different too. So pleased to see that some babydust was sprinkled on you !

Reg: Oct 19th 2010

Children: one IVF miracle, yippee!!!!!

Saturday, June 23rd 2012, 5:17pm

Hi Bess

We have spoken before, but I just wanted to say I'm shocked that the Consultant scaremongered you like that! I know we are at the same clinic, who was it?! I have heard there are a few new Drs there. I really pushed for my 2 blasto's (2.1 & 2.2) to be thawed together and both put back, the risks were explained to us but we talked them through and we decided we would of really quite liked twins! As you can see from my signature 1 embro snuggled down and decided to stay put but I'm glad with the decision we made and would make it again. If god forbid this last FET hadnt worked I didnt want to do another FET I would of rather done a fresh cycle anyway.

Hope this next cycle brings you your little miracle..xxxx ;)

Me:32 DH:34 TTC:3yrs
IVF 1 2 & 3 BFN :bawl:
4th FET with Immunes March 12 :BFP: :pray: please stay with us :angel2:
bab22 Joseph William ~ Born 13/12/12 ~ 7.13lb!

Reg: May 30th 2010

Sunday, June 24th 2012, 7:55pm

If they keep the other one frozen so you don't lose it than you can really do whatever you choose :-)

If you would be happy with a twin pregnancy as well ask for two or if you would rather be cautios you can ask for one and even if that does not take with FET you only have to wait shorter I think you can have the other one straight next month so you don't even have to pay a lot more for freezing.

I really wish you all the best luck FET can be very succesful as your body does not suffer from stimulations before xx

Rianon

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Sunday, June 24th 2012, 9:01pm

I too wouldn't change having twins, however, apart from the risk of pre-term labour (which is pretty common - from around 32 weeks) the pregnancy is a lot harder generally I think. I also know a lot of twin mummies that go on to have their twins at around 36-38 weeks and all is well but it is knackering!!!!

It's personal choice really isn't it. We decided on having two put back because the first two didn't stick and the second two resulted in a singleton so we didn't think both would stick the last time. Also, we only had two embryos and if we hadn't have had them both implanted, they were not good enough to freeze so they would have disposed of it. Seemed crazy to do that - plus, now I know it would have been either Holly or Elliot!

Good luck!

hd
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)