You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Macksie" started this thread

Reg: May 8th 2012

Children: Blessed with one beautiful boy

Monday, June 11th 2012, 7:30pm

Hope this is the right place to post anyone have any info on CMV tests?

Hi I hope this is the right section to post.....

We are waiting for a donor match from our clinic following the decision to have ICSI with sperm donor (long story DH had testicular cancer but many complications inluding dry ejaculate as a result of damage to his nerves means the chances of retrieval of sperm are slim).

Anyway I've had to have the blood tests done for my blood group and CMV and my CMV is negative which they tell me means I will have to have a negative donor which makes the matching process harder as most of the population are positive for the CMV virus.

I have read some mixed thoughts on this as I understand it, its HFEA guidelines that dictate that CMV neg sperm should be used for CMV neg recipients but it does suggest that there is more risk of contracting CMV from hubby if he is positive rather than our donor? All seems rather ludicrous seeing as I would never have known I was CMV neg until now if we had been able to get pg naturally then we would be none the wiser!

Any thoughts or experience of this I would be grateful to hear form you :thumbup:
ICSI #1 & FET= BFN
FET #2= BFP early mc

ICSI #2- Sept 13 = :BFP: : D
Pprom at 28 weeks - Freddie James born at 32+4 perfect in every way lurve

Rene

Lone wolf

South Africa

Reg: Oct 3rd 2005

Children: one gorgeous boy

What's Up?
I have PMA
I'm Positive that
I am Mental
and I know I have Attitude

Monday, June 11th 2012, 7:46pm

Hi, Hun
Where I am they did not do CMV tests.
Chances are that if your hubby were positive you would be positive by now too so why take the risk of any infection? I do understand that it must be frustrating hearing that your donor "pool" has gotten smaller with higher demand but, hopefully, it won't be too long before you get one and go on to treatment...

PCOS, hypothyroid - on thyroxine, aspirin and Met
Lap/Ovarian Drilling Oct 2005
DIUI X5 + 2 abandoned cycles (total 7 cycles)
:BFP: 22 March 2006 - Connor Born 24 November 2006 - unplanned c-section
At 3 and a half C finally gave up the boob!

Monday, June 11th 2012, 8:32pm

Thanks for your reply I am happy to wait a little longer to prevent any risks seeing as we've had such a long wait in the unknown for this long its bliss to just know where we stand. The clinic so far haven't seemed put off by the result apparently they have a large sperm bank so I hope it won't cause any issues.

Its just nice to get people views on this as in the forum I have been with for ages there is not donor threads there so noone had a clue what CMV was........well nor did I until now lol
ICSI #1 & FET= BFN
FET #2= BFP early mc

Reg: Jul 22nd 2011

Children: one gorgeous IUI daughter

Monday, June 11th 2012, 9:13pm

I am CMV negative too, I think about 60% are positive, so still quite a lot that aren't. In fact the other 2 people I know that had donor IUI were also negative, so it's not that unusual.

Yes, it did slim down my donor pool a little. I had a choice of about 6 donors, but that was fine it was enough choice for me. I would never have taken the risk of having a CMV positive donor (not would the clinic allow it) as contracting the virus during pregnancy can cause miscarriage. I am a teacher so am probably around it all the time but have never contracted it!

Good luck with finding a donor!!

38, single
1st donor IUI Nov '11 :BFN: 2nd donor IUI March/April '12 :BFP:
A gorgeous IUI daughter born Dec 2012 - my little miracle
Planning to try for a sibling in 2015 :)

Reg: Oct 16th 2009

Children: Hoping

Tuesday, June 12th 2012, 11:01am

Hi Macksie
I am also CMV negative with a CMV positive DH, we have used a donor who is CMV negative - our clinic wouldn't use a positive donor. Like Scarlett1251 is reduced the number of donors we could use, we had four, but we were really pleased with two of them so it wasn't a problem.
I was lucky that even though I am having private treatment my GP organised my blood tests but it wasn't until I specifically asked for the CMV test that it was ordered!
Cat xx
Catherine xx

1st ICSI April 2010, FET Oct 2010 :BFN:
2nd ICSI Jan 2011 :BFP: M/C Chemical Pregnancy :tear:
3rd ICSI Dec 2011 :BFN:
DIUI June 2012 :2ww

MY DIARY

Tuesday, June 12th 2012, 1:19pm

Thanks Catweb and Scarlett that has helped me feel so much more positive! But not CMV positive ha ha ha!!

Do you mind me asking which clinics you use I am at Bourn Hall in Cambridge? I think its their policy to also use a negative donor and I haven't actually had another conversation with one of the consultants about it but the nurses I have spoken to don't seem too phased.

Wow 6 to chose from that is amazing they told me we would get 2 or 3 to chose from unless I was CMV neg but at the time I had only just been told about what CMV actually is and hadn't had my bloods done so the way the consultant made it sound was that it would be really unusual to be negative but the more I look into it there are so many people who are.

Its good that your GP did the bloods although we are NHS funded our clinic would charge for the blood group and CMV test which is rather odd seeing as they do AMH free of charge and apparently thats very expensive.

Thanks again ladies xxx
ICSI #1 & FET= BFN
FET #2= BFP early mc

Thursday, June 21st 2012, 5:06pm

Just an update incase anyone looks at this thread in future and wonders what the outcome was! We got a pick of four donors even tho I am cmv neg because my blood group is O positive it gave us more choice.

We have now picked a very lovely fellow and will be starting treatment in a couple of weeks on day 21 of my cycle :thumbsup:
ICSI #1 & FET= BFN
FET #2= BFP early mc

1 user apart from you is browsing this thread:

1 guests