You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "rosa21" started this thread

Reg: May 15th 2012

Monday, May 21st 2012, 9:03pm

Microgynon misery

Just wondering if anyone else has been taking Microgynon birth control pill? I've done 13 days so far, and have another 17 days to go, and I feel awful. I'm starving all the time and can't stop eating, feel really tired and depressed and can't be bothered to do anything. It's like endless PMS. I've been gradually losing weight over the last couple of years and now I feel like I'm putting it all back on again.
I think the clinic gave it to me to fit me in with their schedule. They said initially I had to take it for 21 days, but then in order to start of my injections at the right time for them they've extended it to 30 days.
I guess if I stopped taking it it would mean that all my appointments would be at the wrong time because my period would start earlier than they planned.
Has anyone had problems with it and changed to a different pill mid-cycle?
Rosa

Me 38 rubbish cycles, very low amh
DH 39 rubbish sperm

Ist ICSI 6/12 - abandoned :-(
2nd ICSI 10/12 - BFN :-(
3rd ICSI 1/13 - BFN :-(
4th FET 3/13 abandoned :-(
5th FET 5/13 - BFN :-(
Taking a break over the summer

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Monday, May 21st 2012, 9:15pm

Hi Rosa,
I had to take the same brand of pill, but the only reaction to it was feeling sick as in throwing up. I found that if I took it with food it went away. It didn't make me hungrier or feeling with PMS. Infact it should help those moody feelings.
I thinkl some of these feelings maybe due to the stress of starting the treatment.
If you really want to change then ask your clinic, but I'm not sure they'll let you, especially as it's only for a few more days.
They normally use dr drugs to plan their schedule, rather than the pill. They give the pill more to even out hormones. Your period can come within a week of stopping the pill, but sometimes it takes longer or less.
Maybe ring the clinic and ask for their advice.

Take care and try to keep calm and focus on the positive of actually haing treatment.

Monday, May 21st 2012, 9:29pm

Thanks Maria.
Were you also taking the pill prior to starting injections?
I think I'm definitely a victim of scheduling as the nurse said go on the pill for 21 days, but then looked at their clinic schedule and said actually take it for 30 days so that we can start the scans etc on a certain date, cos they don't want too many patients starting at the same time.
I've had a look on the web and found lots of other people moaning about Microgynon as well - it does sound like it causes hunger/ never feeling full, and depression and lack of energy.
I took an antidepressant about 4 years ago which did the same thing - and put on 3 stone in 3 months! Still haven't lost all of that weight, so feeling a bit panicky at the thought of the same situation happening again.
Think I'm going to ring the clinic tomorrow and ask about changing brands. It's got to be worth a try.
Rosa

DH 39 rubbish sperm

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Monday, May 21st 2012, 10:08pm

Hi, I have always taken microgynon 30 for each cycle, for about 4/5 weeks each time, before starting DR injections. It does help the clinic with scheduling but also doubly ensures that they are in control of what is happening with your body. I always get very hungry with it and always put on weight. I know it is awful but it wll all be worth it, though obviously if you are feeling really down too best to call and check the options. Though as Maria says he is probably also anxiety, once you get started with treatment hopefully everything will settle down a it. Wishing you loads of luck xxx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012 : D
2nd ICSI - May 18 - BFN
4th FET - Sept 18 - BFP but Ectopic MTX 7+4

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

Monday, May 21st 2012, 10:37pm

Thank you Dusky. I never even thought that the pill would cause me any problems. I took it in my teens/20s without a second thought.
The hunger is crazy - if I don't eat for an hour I'm starving and can't concentrate on anything. All I can think about is eating. I usually get like this for a day or maybe two in the run up to my period, but this is never ending. I foolishly thought I'd use this month to try and lose a couple more pounds to give myself a better chance of success, but if I carry on like this I'll be as big as a house!
Like you say, hopefully the next stage will be easier.
I definitely won't be letting them give me Microgynon if I have to do this again. The consultant said I didn't have to take it this time, but it would be helpful if I did. I wish I'd turned him down now.
My poor husband has to keep going to the supermarket cos I've eaten all the food in the house :)
Rosa

DH 39 rubbish sperm

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Tuesday, May 22nd 2012, 6:20pm

It's strange how drugs affect people. I was feeling so sick when on it that I lost weight!
I think all hormones bloat you anyway. I found dr injections the worst for moods and putting on weight.

Tuesday, May 22nd 2012, 6:31pm

I think you're right. I was expecting the injections to make me put on weight but the pill took me by surprise because I didn't realise I would have to take it, and don't remember it having such a crazy effect on me when I last took it.
I've managed to swap it for a different one (Loestrin 20) which apparently is a bit more easy going, so hopefully I'll be feeling a bit more normal in a day or two.
The clinic sounded a bit alarmed when I told them I couldn't stop eating, and said it wouldn't be good for the rest of the treatment if I put on lots of weight.
Rosa

DH 39 rubbish sperm

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Wednesday, May 23rd 2012, 6:38pm

I'm glad they let you change. Hopefully now it will all go smoothly for you.

Reg: Jan 9th 2011

Children: Maybe soon x

Wednesday, May 23rd 2012, 8:16pm

Hi Rosa

I was on micogynon for 7 week before our treatment. I felt really irritable on it- one minute ready to ouch someone and medley crying at M&S ad! I had really bad headaches too. I'm glad they let you change!

Good luck for the journey ahead x
xfingers

Friday, May 25th 2012, 11:01am

That sounds very familiar! I feel loads better now so the Microgynon was definitely the culprit. And I put on 10lbs in 2 weeks (!!!) so it's lucky I changed when I did.
Rosa

DH 39 rubbish sperm

Reg: Mar 13th 2012

Children: Seems to be getting further away

Sunday, May 27th 2012, 10:50pm

I was previously on microgynon as a birth control measure before we were TTC. Awful headaches/migraines and put on 3 st in weight. Mood was really low and felt sluggish all time. Thankfully not intending to go back there again. Good luck with your treatment xxx

Me 35 DH 33

We tried treatment but it's wasn't meant to be... It's the adoption road for us x

The Archer's Road to Family

Thursday, May 31st 2012, 2:11pm

That sounds horrible, I know we're all going to put on weight once we're pregnant but gaining 3st cos of birth control is really miserable and pointless. I know exactly how that feels.
I suppose that now I know how infertile my husband and I are, we'll never need any birth control again - so hopefully no more bad experiences with the pill after this.
Good luck with your IVF too, when are you getting started?
Rosa

DH 39 rubbish sperm

Reg: Mar 13th 2013

Wednesday, March 13th 2013, 12:39pm

Microgynon Misery

Is anyone else experiencing utter misery on Microgynon?? I have been on it for 35 days and it's been a nightmare, so I'm totally dreading my down-regulating which is due to start on Friday. It's made me moody, depressed and very tired. I can't be bothered doing anything or talking to anyone. I normally go to the gym 5 times a week which I really enjoy but even this is a struggle.. I've had night sweats and hot flushes - and I haven't even started DR yet.. Does anyone else have any experience like this? And... will this get a whole lot worse once I begin DR? ;( ;( ;( ;(

Any advice would be appreciated!!

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Wednesday, April 10th 2013, 8:59pm

I was on this years ago for heavy periods and it as awful. Made me grumpy and spiked and I felt almost crazy!
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)

cheenab

Reg: May 27th 2009

Children: 3 gorgeous boys Zachary, Finley and Teddy <3

What's Up?
Couldn't be any happier :D

Wednesday, April 10th 2013, 11:02pm

I've just been given this by my doctor to take back to back for 3 months then have a break then again for another 3 months. I have constant periods every 2 wks, and it's just such a nightmare so I was willing to try anything the doctor suggested!!!
But now feeling a bit unsure after reading this thread!!! Done so well losing post baby weight, and have been suffering with PND which is finally starting to go and I've been feeling loads better!! So I really don't want to go down the putting on weight or depression route with these tablets!! But I'm sick of constant periods!!!!
So unsure now whether to take them :/
FET August 2011-1 Blastocyst onboard :BFP:
Zachary William born on 27/4/12 at 10.12am weighing 6lb 12oz
Shock natural BFP 15/3/15 :faint:
Finley Thomas born on 5/11/15 at 9.39am 7lb 14oz
Another shock natural BFP 6/8/16
Teddy George born on 30/3/17 at 4.34pm 7lb 9oz

Thursday, April 11th 2013, 1:19pm

It sounds as if it affects people differently, so you could give it a try but swap to a different one if it doesn't agree with you. Maybe have a chat with the doctor about your concerns, and get them to agree in advance to changing brands if necessary, so that you don't have to worry. My advice would be to act quickly if you're having a bad time on it, and don't suffer in silence.

Have you tried any things like supplements or acupuncture to even out your cycle? There are a couple of things that have helped me (vit b supplements, GLA/starflower oil, acupuncture, soy milk) so it might be worth trying a more natural approach for a couple of months.
Rosa

DH 39 rubbish sperm