You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "laura-t" started this thread

Reg: Apr 20th 2009

Children: N/csle CFL

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 11:20am

Advise need on IUI after IVF

Hiya all wonder if i can have your opinions and experiences on the following.
So my story is we started TTC early on in life meaning we were quite young 19 years old as we have been together since we were 12 we felt ready at a young age and luckily we did other wise if we waited till later on in life could have been to late. Any hoo so after 3 years of nothing happening we went to docs they sent us strait for tests my dh had a low sperm count and only thing they can find wrong with me is PCOS, they referred us strait for IVF no mention of IUI, so after 5 failed attempts of IVF 1 i did manage to get pregnant from 1 cycle but had a early loss at 7 weeks. So now we have just tried to forget about it all and get on with life after our long IVF journey and prayed for a miracle, its now over a year later and still no sign of pregnancy. Over the course of treatment my DH sperm quality improved dramatically so was hoping we could have conceived naturally.
So i have been looking at any other options we could try, ive heard allot about this IUI treatment from what ive read this is something that would be offered before IVF the only thing i can think of is why the docs referred us strait for IVF instead of IUI was due to our young age and my DH low sperm count any ideas ????
So i was wondering weather we would now be rejected to try this treatment because we have used our free NHS tries on the IVF or because IVF is allot more successful and didn't work for us. I feel like i am stuck and dont know what to do, i did go back to the docs and said is there anything else that we can possibly do or try and she basically just said try and forget about it get on with your life and it will happen. The usual response from people who have never experienced this pain of TTC for such a long time 9 years. I am thinking surel IUIy would give us a higher success rate than trying naturally.
Any responses or advise will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks Laura
5 x ICSI: :BFN:
4th ICSI resulted in a:BFP: but lost our Dream Baby at 5 weeks ;(

Feb 2014 started adoption process hoping to be parents by Xmas :angel2:

Reg: Nov 1st 2011

Children: none as yet!

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 12:03pm

HI
I had ivf first too, which didnt work, and have now been told that i need a tube unblocked then try naturally for a while then have IUI, it wasnt mentioned whether i would have to pay or not tho, my oh did have low serm count too so it may be that is the reason.
hope you have some success

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 7th 2011

Children: 2 little beans on the way!

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 2:23pm

Hi, I had IUI before trying IVF but DH's sperm count was fine. and we had unexplained infertility I think they usually suggest you move straight to IVF if your DH's sperm count is low or they can find a reason for your infertility eg. PCOS. I'm really sorry that IVF hasn't worked for you but it may be worth asking about IUI now that your DH's sperm count has improved. I'm afriad to say that a lot of NHS trusts do charge for IUI due to its lower success rate but this is something you would have to check out in the area where you live.

Wishing you all the very best of luck with the next steps of your journey. I really hope that one day very soon you'll be announcing your BFP.

Me:30
DH:38
TTC since 2008
6xClomid 2010 :BFN:
3xIUI 2011 :BFN:
1st IVF Feb 2012 :BFP: Identical twins :boy: :boy: born 23/10/12

My Diary

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Wednesday, May 9th 2012, 5:53pm

Hi Laura,
As far as IUI funding goes you should ask your GP. They would know about funding rules.
IUI is less successful than ivf, especially with some issues that is why your clinic let you do ivf straight away.
IUI is more 'scientific' than trying naturally. My clinic is now treating using IUI as I don't respond to ivf drugs and I've had 3 pregnancies already, 2 of which were natural.
I would ask about IUI at your next appointment. If you have fertility problems relaxing or forgetting about it won't make it happen. On the other hand if your dh's sperm has improved then it doesn't hurt to try.
Good luck

• "laura-t" started this thread

Reg: Apr 20th 2009

Children: N/csle CFL

Thursday, May 10th 2012, 9:46am

Thanks for replies, think I will make an appointment with Gp have a chat see what they have to say about this treatment and take it from there.

Thanks Laura
5 x ICSI: :BFN:
4th ICSI resulted in a:BFP: but lost our Dream Baby at 5 weeks ;(

Feb 2014 started adoption process hoping to be parents by Xmas :angel2: