You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Natural_Horse" started this thread

Reg: May 28th 2009

Wednesday, March 14th 2012, 4:15pm

Where do you turn to for information?

Hi ladies,

I am sorry to invade this section but I was looking for advice. I work for an LA as a public relations officer and I have been given the task to promote the urgent need for people to come forward to find out about adoption.

I am not here to recruit anyone but to ask advice. For those going through the process, when you first started to think about adoption, where did you go for more information? Are forums, like the fantastic FZ (which has helped to keep me sane these last few years) the best place for information? Or are there specific adoption websites that you found most useful?

Thanks in advance for any advice given and I wish you all the best in your journey to have a family.

Reg: Mar 27th 2009

Wednesday, March 14th 2012, 9:36pm

I've found be my parent and adoption UK the most helpful. The link on be my parent that allowed you to see a PDF of all the local agencies is where I turned to decide on which agencies to contact. Then looking at the individual websites helps you to decide who to ring. LAs are generally uninspiring and some off putting whereas VA's are inviting. The next thing is the online submission form which I found frustrating as none of them actually got me a response, you could easily loose people at this point. If they don't elicite a response then get rid of them. I rang them all in the end. The VA I rang was lovely, answered the phone in a positive manner and put me throught to someone straightaway who could answer all my questions and suggested we make an appointment to go and chat to them. One LA was very very off putting, the person who answered the phone gave me the impression my enquiry wasn't wanted and I was told someone would call me to let me know if they would consider us in 4-6 weeks! I rang a week later, it was the same woman who answered the phone and she was in a better mood this time but did say I could expect to wait 6 weeks for a call. The other LA I rang were lovely, the lady who answered the phone chatted about where we lived as although just outside of their area she was certain they would consider us and knew it well due to family connections. Someone rang me back later the same day as promised and sent out the info first class so it arrived the next day. I've returned the form which should of arrived yesterday but I'm yet to get a reponse. I've just remembered I also rang another LA and they said someone would ring me the next day but that was approx 2 weeks ago and I've not heard anything.

So my feelings are make your website inviting, only use online submission forms if you are going to respond to them in a timely manner, ensure the person answering the phone is positive and have someone relevant return calls the same day if there is no-one available to speak the potential adoptee there and then. There is no point in spending money on recruitment drives if none of the basics are in place and you'll loose people either altogether or to VAs where they are generally made much more welcome. I would also recomend putting on information evenings and advertising them on your website and other relevant places as I would of preferred the option to go to one of these as it's less formal, however no-one local to us offers them, although probably due to low demand.

Sorry it turned into a rant but as were going through it right now the frustration is building!
PCOS and Azoo, what to do? Adopt smile2

Saffy's Diary

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE