You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

Stu1q

• "Stu1q" started this thread

Reg: Mar 9th 2012

Friday, March 9th 2012, 10:23pm

Orchitis and fertility screen

I assume I am in the right place?
A brief(ish) history
We started fertility screening after a couple of years ttc in dec 2011. As part of this I went for a semen analysis at our clinic.
15mil per ml
6ml total sample
47% motile
6% strict morphology
1-2 progression
75% mar Igg tails
By themselves not great but mostly due to the mar count showing an immune problem. Problem was the sample I provided was dark brown. No mention of this was made in the results. Good news my wife had near perfect numbers so we were told our best chance was ivf with icsi due to male subfertility. I mentioned the abnormal sample and whilst surprised our consultant claimed as long as all was now normal it was not relevant to the recommendation of icsi. We are both 35 so icsi or ivf may have been recommended anyway.
We set a date to start long protocol and enjoyed our last month of trying naturally.

Unfortunately, during that time ejaculation became painful and I ended up at our gp then a urologist and epididymal orchitis was diagnosed, for most of us a bacterial testicular infection. The gp gave me antibiotics at first sight without testing so I will never know my actual infection but the urologist believes e coli the most likely source. For those that google, chlamydia comes out as the most common cause but unless I have had it 17 years without noticing and without passing it on, wife had to be tested,

So the most likely cause of a brown semen sample, blood in the semen causes the brown, is from an infection but this was not mentioned on the analysis. I have spoken to the clinic and they claim anything abnormal would have been noted and further tests done but because of the infection, and the 4 weeks of antibiotics and anti inflammatories, they want me to go back for another test with cultures in 6 weeks. Problem is I am not sure I can trust them. I will now always assume they missed something. 6 weeks of a stabbing sensation regardless of how many drugs yes I am bitter. My wife likes the current clinic and that means more, finding a trusted Gynaecologist is more important than my feelings in this but

Should I go and get tested elsewhere? In the midlands any recommendations?
The clinic and potentially the same embryologist will perform icsi and I have trust issues
the urologist promised another 6-8 weeks of pain while my bits return to normal, based on something they missed?
Wife has now spent a cycle on the pill for long cycle and come off again while I get better but we are losing perfectly good cycles, the numbers aren't that bad!
I can't be certain anything was missed but surely the colour could have been mentioned.

A cycle abandoned for male factor that early is ridiculous surely!

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Saturday, March 10th 2012, 8:11am

Hi Stu1q and welcome to :FZ:

I would go and get tested elsewhere and still test at your clinic. This way you will know if you can trust them, which is the most important thing with fertility treatment.
As far as them missing the infection, yes it is strange, but my understanding is that sperm will be affected later on. So you may find that in 3 months time they will find something in your semen analysis. But surely they would have seen it was the wrong colour. Also ask if your wife also has to take antibiotics or get checked out for infection, especially if you have had unprotected sex.
Take care and xfingers for your treatment

Stu1q

Saturday, March 10th 2012, 8:56am

Hi

Thanks for the reply. Clinic claims the colour must have been insignificant or would have been mentioned. I've sent several emails of complaint asking for answers and finally we were told to put the cycle on hold. Testing for my wife they say is not necessary as chlamydia is the only test required for treatment.. We had the HIV and heps as well all negative. it is as though they have a set of numbers and a treatment and that is where we are heading.

I will give them the benefit and assume only the blood was present and not the infection, I still can't get passed the fact it wasn't mentioned! There advice after that is to wait 6 weeks get tested then start long cycle so that gives us the 3 months for fresh sperm at icsi stage at least.

Who knows. I will go and test elsewhere as well.

Thanks

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Saturday, March 10th 2012, 9:04am

Your clinic may only want chlamydia testing, but what if you have passed your infection to your wife? better safe than sorry.
Wating 3 months sounds a good plan. That would give time for your sperm to recover. Keep up a healthy lifestyle and maybe take male conceptions vitamins.

Stu1q

Saturday, March 10th 2012, 12:53pm

Agreed and I asked problem seems to be the usual suspects are all std's which after 17 very happy years together are very unlikely. The urologist seems to think e coli is the best bet, which whilst grim in the extreme i assume is not transferable to my wife??

Did and doing the healthy bit had to stop the vitamins as they interfered with the antibiotics also folic acid helps bacteria grow as well as other things! Hopefully we are back to where we started with just my varicocele and expected low results. Does anyone know whether the mar test is effected by the infection?

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 6 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE