You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "FoxyPink" started this thread

Reg: Sep 28th 2008

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 11:42am

Ranitidine Dosage??!!

Sorry it's me again!!

What dosage are your LOs on?

My son was 12lbs and prescribed 1ml 3 times a day. He is now 14lbs+ and the doctor we saw today says he is now taking too much for his current weight (still 1ml 3x a day)
Surely there is a recognised formula to be used when calculating dosage - which doctor is wrong?

Foxy

TTC with IVF - 3.5 years
2011 - BFP
Boy 11/11/11 - 4 weeks early!

This post has been edited 2 times, last edit by "FoxyPink" (Feb 16th 2012, 11:46am)

Scarlett

Superstar

Reg: Oct 23rd 2007

Children: William aged 3

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 11:55am

Hiya honey,

Unfortunately this rings a bell with me too, as none of the GPs I have been to with William seem able to work out his correct dose either and so I rely on asking the paediatric consultant at the hospital who is lovely. Who prescribed ranitidine originally for your son? xxx

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
3rd DE IVF July 2009 BFP!
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 12:35pm

Thanks for your reply Scarlett,
The doctor we saw at NHS 24 one weekend prescribed it. We had reached breaking point and I couldn't face another night without intervention.
From looking around doing a bit of 'googling' I have found that the original dosage seems to have been the most consistant with everyone else.

TTC with IVF - 3.5 years
2011 - BFP

Scarlett

Superstar

Reg: Oct 23rd 2007

Children: William aged 3

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 2:48pm

It seems a long time since William was that little, but the dose seems reasonable to me. I remember going through loads of 1ml syrringes! Is he on infant gaviscon as well? You have my absolute sympathy hon, W wasn't diagnosed until later and it is such a distressing condition. Unless you've had a preemie suffering with the agonies of reflux I think it's hard to understand what hell everyone goes through. If it's possible I would try and get a phone consultation with the original Dr and increase his meds to his weight gain. Also ask for a referral to your local cons who will monitor 6 monthly. I am surprised you're not already under a consultant with LO coming early.Best of luck am sending you big hugs xxx

nn
1st IVF July 2008 BFN
2nd IVF Nov 2008 BFN
3rd DE IVF July 2009 BFP!
4th DE IVFJan 2012 BFN

5th FET April 2012 BFN

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Scarlett" (Feb 16th 2012, 2:54pm)

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 6:03pm

Hiya,

As the original Dr was through NHS 24 she was a random doctor working on call - I actually can't even remember her name. Today's local doctor has referred us to the pediatrician at the local hospital but we are likely to have to wait weeks for the appt.

Although LO was 4 weeks early, other than jaundice he showed no other signs of complications and therefore was treated pretty much like a term baby. However, i do believe that his intestinal/gut problems are attributed to under-developed system (but that's just my thoughts!)

Left a message for HV today but like always I got no call - will hassle again tomorrow! Had a bad afternoon with LO - usual symptoms he presented before beginning the ranitidine = refusal to feed, arching back, upset and irritable. Definitely feel his meds need upped!!

x

TTC with IVF - 3.5 years
2011 - BFP

United Kingdom

Reg: Jul 2nd 2009

Children: Beautiful Jessica Mae x Holly and Elliot!

Thursday, February 16th 2012, 6:40pm

My little loves are on Ranitidine and Domperidone (and Infant Gavison....!). Elliot was around 6lb 10 when his dose was last looked at and he is 0.34ml so 1ml for your little one's weight doesn't sound too out of the way.
3 X ICSI
Jessica Mae Duffety born sleeping on 9 January 2011 (21+2) - TS and HLHS
Holly and Elliot Duffety born on 16 October 2011 (25+6)
Natural Surprise - Matthew Evan Duffety born sleeping on 11 October 2013 (15+5)