You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Ressy2011" started this thread

Reg: Jan 13th 2012

Friday, January 13th 2012, 8:04am

Low count and motility :(

Hi im new here just after some advice.
Im 22 years old and me and my partner have been trying to coneive since april last year, obvioulsy to no joy. So the other week we went and see my GP who ordered a semen analysis. I got the results yesterday, and my count is 5 million and my motility is 30%. my GP told me that there is treatment but because my partner already has a child from a previous relationship that we wont get funding for it? So thats the first thibg id like some advice on.

Secondly i wondered if anyone knew if any of my meds would effect my count nd motility.
Im on: butrans patch (buprenorphine), doxazosin and gabapentin.

Any other advice would be very much appreciated.
Many thanks in advance
Sperm count: 1st 5 million, 2nd 3 million
Motility: 1st 30%, 2nd 10%

Dusky7

FORUM MENTOR

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 12th 2008

Children: Two beautiful little girls, so so lucky!! :)

What's Up?
:hello:

Friday, January 13th 2012, 2:47pm

Hi and welcome to :FZ: I am afraid I don't know about medications affecting SA but I am sure someone will be along soon to help.

My DH has v v low sperm count due to a failed vasectomy reversal (he has children from a previous relationship) so we had to pay for our treatment. No NHS trusts give you free treatment if one of you (or both) already has children. We paid about £4,500 in total, with the drugs etc. From what I gather that is quite cheap. It was the only local clinic to us but it is attached to an NHS hospital and I have since found out that these are mostly a lot cheaper than actual private independent clinics, such as CARE.

I am sorry that you are on this journey but there are so many wonderful people on this site who will help and support you along the way, any questions just ask.

There is a Newbie thread too if you fancy looking in there - http://www.fertilityzone.co.uk/index.php…oard&boardID=60 Have seen you have found the Male Factor thread.

Wishing you lots of luck for your treatment xx

1st ICSI - Oct 08 - :BFP:!!! DD born July 2009 : D
1st FET - May 11 - BFN
2nd FET - Sept 11 - BFN
3rd FET - Jan 12 - :BFP: DD2 born October 2012 : D
2nd ICSI - May 18 - BFN
4th FET - Sept 18 - BFP but Ectopic MTX 7+4

DUSKY'S FET DIARY

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Dusky7" (Jan 13th 2012, 4:10pm)

Hayley_H

Friday, January 13th 2012, 3:02pm

Hi Ressy2011

Sorry - no advice re: medications I can give. However i came across this yesterday: Couple win IVF funding battle with NHS - Telegraph

My husband and I have also been declined NHS funding for IVF on the basis of his children from a presvious relationship. It is a very expensive treatment and unfair that one partner is denied the opportunity to have their own biological child on the basis of one partner already having a child.

Anyway. I wanted to put this out there to see if anyone else had legally challenged their NHS trust or PCT and what the outcome was.

Hayley_H

Reg: Mar 16th 2011

Friday, January 13th 2012, 3:36pm

Hi

I'm afraid your doctor is probably right about the funding. My PCT has the same rule, no IVF if either of you has other children. Which is obviously unfair if it's not your child...

I don't know alot about male factor, even though that was our issue as ours was so bad we were told there was nothing we could do to improve it. But I have heard of alot of things which can be done, apart from the obvious, ie. stopping drinking and smoking which I'm sure you're aware of.

Acupuncture can sometimes help (with a proper fertility acupuncturist). Also supplements can help, and I've heard Macca can help (Peruvian supplement). Jen on the 1st Trimester chat said they managed to change her husband's motility through diet change, so why don't you message her?
Also, you could make an appointment with someone like Zita West or Marilyn Glenville, they both have clinics in London which can help put together a nutritional plan for male infertility, based on your results.

There is always hope! In terms of interventional treatment, the cycles we've had (you would need ICSI) generally costs around 5-7k I would say at most clinics. Some are much higher though, and some are cheaper.

Best of luck

j

Me 35, DH 37 [zx151]
2 x ICSI :BFN:
1 x FET :BFN:
Nov 11 - 3rd ICSI (Immunology Cycle) :BFP: Please stay with us :pray:

Jewels' Journey - My Diary

• "Ressy2011" started this thread

Saturday, January 14th 2012, 12:31am

I was told id be looking around 4-8k depending on where we went, nd i dont smoke nd i dont drink due to my meds, nd i have a pretty well balanced diet, thanks for ur advice and being so welcoming, made me feel a little easier, as its really got to my partner nd me, cos we really want a child together nd now shes started blaming herself about the funding cos she has a child from another relationship.
Sperm count: 1st 5 million, 2nd 3 million
Motility: 1st 30%, 2nd 10%