You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Hopeful_Helen" is no longer a member of FZ
  • "Hopeful_Helen" started this thread

Reg: Nov 29th 2011

Children: Not just yet!

Tuesday, January 3rd 2012, 5:28pm

A tentative diagnosis

Well, I just got the results from my latest tests: LH 46 and FSH 77 :scared:

Not good, lol!

So I have a 'tentative' diagnosis from the hospital of premature menopause, although I need further tests to confirm.

I'm just curious as to what the difference is between that diagnosis and POF? Also, my blood tests were done on cd30-something of an anovulatory cycle. Would that make much of a difference to those readings?

Helen x
DEIVF June/July '12 :pray:

babydust

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Tuesday, January 3rd 2012, 5:45pm

Hi Helen,
I am sorry you are going through this :hugs:
My understanding is as follows:
Menopause usually occurs on average around age 50. Premature ovarian failure can occur at any age before 40.
When a woman experiences menopause, she no longer has follicles to produce into eggs and therefore no longer gets her menstrual period. usually they like a whole year without a period to confirm it.
A woman with premature ovarian failure, or premature menopause, may still have follicles, but there may be a depletion or dysfunction of these. Therefore, she can still get her period; however, most of the time her period is irregular, and ovulation doesn't always occur.
Also my understanding is that it's best to test your hormones on day 1-3 of your cycle, but your reading are high all the same.
it's best to have a chat with your consultant as soon as possible.
Take care.

Tuesday, January 3rd 2012, 5:57pm

Thanks Maria! I'm so confused since I do have periods, just not very often. With Clomid I had a 29 day cycle, but they vary and the longest had been 154 days (unmedicated). I had abnormal FSH readings back in 2004 - surely I would've finished the menopause and not have any periods now?

babydust

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Tuesday, January 3rd 2012, 6:16pm

I think it takes time, and normally they only confirm the menopause if you have no period for a year. As I said, you'll have to talk to your doctor (I'm heading the same way....)x

Tuesday, January 3rd 2012, 6:21pm

Thanks Maria - good luck to you x x x

babydust

Thursday, April 12th 2012, 6:50pm

Well, I just wanted to update this post. I had further blood tests at the end of February - LH, FSH, AMH and E2 - and got the results on Tuesday. My AMH was <1.2 and my FSH had risen to 84. The infertility consultant said that I am currently going through the menopause, and that it could take another couple of years before it finishes, after which time I will be put on HRT. He needs to see me every 6 months until it has been confirmed to monitor my bone density and blood levels. Obviously not the result I wanted, but I haven't given up TTC yet :D

Good luck x x

babydust

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Thursday, April 12th 2012, 8:37pm

Good luck Helen x