You are not logged in.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "bumblebee" started this thread

Reg: Oct 13th 2010

Wednesday, December 14th 2011, 10:51pm

Clomid and BMI

I haven't posted for a while but I really need some help.

I'll try and keep this as brief as possible we've been trying for almost 3 years. We attended Whipps Cross hospital for initial tests in November 2010. My weight was mentioned straight away, as expected, but they found morphology issues with husband and focused on that. Our next appt in May 2011 was very positive where I had shown a good weight loss and clomid was mentioned as HSG had come back clear and husvand's issues had been resolved. I went back in August 2011, ready to be prescribed clomid, but my weight loss had slowed. They said my BMI had to be a certain level for clomid to work so they sent me away to lose more weight. I have pcos (recently put on metformin), have a history of endo and hypothyroidism that is controlled with thyroxine so without making excuses i find weight loss even harder.

I have an appt next month and my BMI is currently 3% higher than they want it to be, so I need to lose approx 22 pounds. I'll have to reschedule as I've just had major stomach surgery so I'm unable to exercise and I'm scared they'll discharge us.

I really want to know if anyone has taken clomid with a higher BMI and if you've had it privately approx how much would it cost. I know asking about money is cheeky but I have no idea! I'm trying my absolute best with the weight loss and it is coming off, just painfully slowly.

I feel like a complete failure as a woman as I can't even manage a period let alone ovulation. I'm so sad that yet another Christmas will come and go without me being a mummy.

Thanks in advance x

United Kingdom

Reg: Jun 13th 2010

Thursday, December 15th 2011, 8:28am

I am so sorry to hear about your problems, you are NOT a failure as a woman, but I know how you feel. You will get there.

My friend had a high BMI and unfortunately wasn't given clomid or any other medication until she got her BMI down, she also has PCOS. I don't think the hospital will discharge you, but maybe they could refer you to a dietician for some help and support? In terms of going private, I wouldn't at this stage if I were you, you have an option open to you and although loosing weight is hard that may be the thing that helps you ovulate, even with out the clomid. Clomid will not do anything unless you get your weight down, it will just make you feel crap - I would wait and take it when you know it has a good chance of working, after all they only recommend taking it for so many months. The happy story is my friend got pregnant and has a beautiful girl, but she thinks it was more to do with the weight loss than the drugs.

Wishing you lots of luck xxxx

Beautiful boy born in January 2007
TTC second since March 2009
Luteal phase defect - 4 rounds clomid
BFP 14.2.2012 - 2 beautiful heartbeats seen EDD 22nd Oct - Its a boy and a girl!

Reg: Nov 17th 2011

Children: A 9 year old daughter - had naturally

Wednesday, February 8th 2012, 11:52am

Clomid & BMI

Hi

I am under Mayday hospital. I have a high BMI. of 35. Im 5ft 2 and nearly 14 stone. They have put me on 100mg clomid daily. It has made me ovulate. Will keep you posted as this is the 2nd month I will be taking it. My weight was never mentioned. :)