You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 14 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Demon1x" started this thread

Reg: Jul 16th 2011

Children: 2 - fantastic sons, we are so very lucky!

Thursday, September 22nd 2011, 10:36am

Why is there such a limited amount of Male factor treatment options?

It seems odd to me that if male factor infertility treatment options are few and far between in this day and age!!

For example - A man (me) has a low count or low morphology or both, phsyical check ok - no variocele etc and hormone levels are norm so he does a number of SA's over 6-9 months to be sure this is the case rather than a one of occurence, makes any lifestyle changes required to improve sperm count/health and has a healthy diet with regular excercise but to no avail.

So male factor is identified - Now the options offered are ICSI / IVF - why is this the case? The man has the issue and should be the focus of treatment but there are no meds or further options proffered apart from ART - now these involve loads of invasive procedures for the man's partner, require her taking hormones and are generally aimed squarely at the woman (who may have no fertility issues of their own what soever!!) , seems very unfair to me that we as men - get diagnosed with Male factor and yet all we have to do is fill a sample pot for the andrologists to hand pick the best swimmers for ICSI/ IVF and then our partners are subjected to all manner of scientific poking, prodding and uncomfortable procedures.* yes our partners share the drive and desire to have a child and will go through the medical stuff to ttc but it does seem problem is transferred to them as a result (IMO).

A man's reproductive system is less complicated (ish) in comparison to our lovely wives / girfriends baby making plumbing and it seems like a real cop out that Male factor is not fixed at source - I think it should be!!

Surely there must be work being done in this field? - I would be happy taking meds or undergoing procedures, even surgey in order for my partner not to!!

If anyone knows of UK based research into this field (Male factor) - please forward details to me.

(Thanks for reading)

Rant endeth...

Kylie

Reg: May 17th 2011

Children: Beautiful fraternal twinnie boys!!

What's Up?
Lucky lucky lucky!!!

Thursday, September 22nd 2011, 3:32pm

Wow, I think it's amazing that you're so passionate about the fact that the majority of the treatment is undertaken by the woman. You remind me of my DH, he's very much the same but with all the research we've done into all this there doesn't seem to be much of anything that men can do medically to make a difference. We spoke to our Doc after our 1st IUI didn't work, who said that sperm is actually produced 3 months in advance and can be affected by so many factors. We walked away annoyed at ourselves that as scientists we didn't know this and wished we had... In a way I wish I had spoken to the Doc on my own as lovely DH started looking back 3 months prior to our IUI to see what food/drink/illness could have affected our tx. Whatever happens this is a journey DH and I are both undertaking together and although I'm on the meds DH is by no means suffering any less. He's quite a tough guy but hates to see me in pain. He knows I'm a prude and when the docs were examining me on our 2nd IUI he was angry that there were so many people in the room... Emotionally it is traumatic for both of us. But I really do think that the majority of women don't care about the meds and the rest of it, because the bigger picture is the beautiful baby in the end... It's annoying yes, the thought of having injections everyday, and pessaries and all sorts freaks me out but the thing that helps is having my wonderful DH's support and understanding through all the pains, moans and mood swings. In all honesty I would be happy to go through anything, regardless of whether it was male factor or female, as long as DH was there by my side with reassurance, understanding, chocolates and flowers like you are I'm sure! That's all I ask anyway!

Anyway, I haven't helped with what you asked but I had to message after reading your post coz I thought it was awesome and wanted to give a girls point of view! :cuddle

Me 37 DH 35 :kiss3:
IUI May & June'11, IVF1 Dec'11, IVF2 Mar'12 = BFN
IVF3 - Immune Cycle Dr.Gorgy 07.11.12 :BFP: ;( please God look after my beautiful angel :heart:

1st FET March '13 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076] Fraternal twins born 07.11.13 :boy: :boy: Thank you God!
Lucky Lucky Lucky?? Kylie's Diary

• "Demon1x" started this thread

Reg: Jul 16th 2011

Children: 2 - fantastic sons, we are so very lucky!

Thursday, September 22nd 2011, 4:10pm

Thanks - the view from a female perspective is re-assuring that the drive and will to conceive gets you through having to put up with all the tests, physical intrusion and associated hassles when male factor leads to the joys of IUI or IVF!!

I am still amazed and vastly annoyed that the treatment options for non obstructive male factor infertility are virtually non existent and that really sucks ass!!

Why should ART be the only options offered when it's the man that has the problem shouldn't treatments target the spermatogenesis process and aim for production of higher numbers of quality motile sperm ? surely fixing the source is a better long term solution than invasive and distressing high cost procedures like IVF!

Am going to discuss with consultant @ next appointment. There must be someone working on this somewhere in the UK?

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Demon1x" (Sep 22nd 2011, 4:21pm)

Kylie

Reg: May 17th 2011

Children: Beautiful fraternal twinnie boys!!

What's Up?
Lucky lucky lucky!!!

Thursday, September 22nd 2011, 7:30pm

I agree completely with everything you say, I had a look on-line after reading your post as I couldn't remember ever reading that any research regarding this had ever been undertaken at length. The only thing I could find was an article about how having sex daily helps to increase the count, but would still need to abstain for 3 days before IVF. That was it, couldn't see anything else. Will be really good to see what your consultant says, and actually DH and I may do the same thing the next time we have an appointment!
:cuddle

Me 37 DH 35 :kiss3:
IUI May & June'11, IVF1 Dec'11, IVF2 Mar'12 = BFN
IVF3 - Immune Cycle Dr.Gorgy 07.11.12 :BFP: ;( please God look after my beautiful angel :heart:

1st FET March '13 :BFP: [zx076] [zx076] Fraternal twins born 07.11.13 :boy: :boy: Thank you God!
Lucky Lucky Lucky?? Kylie's Diary

gemmab

FORUM MENTOR

Reg: Feb 8th 2008

Children: 2 miracle icsi boys and 2 step kids.

What's Up?
Getting ready for another egg donation!!!

Thursday, September 22nd 2011, 8:16pm

Hi

I can understand where you are coming from but I also think to produce a decent sperm or count is far more complicated than we can imagine- I am sure Paul would
spread more light on that.

I have had ICSI four times fresh and 2 frozen and don't feel at all hard done by that its me that went through it and not my DH- we are in it together.

And my little boy and baby growing inside me makes it all worthwhile.

You could always speak to the clinic to see if there are any other options or anymore research going on.

Good luck with your future journey.x

ICSI 1 Apr 08-m/c 9.5.8
FETJul 08-BFN
ICSI 2 Dec 08 (ES) -I'm a mummy Kaynan arrived 19.8.09! :heart:
ICSI 3 Dec 10 (ES) -BFN
FET Mar 11- BFP- M/C ;(
ICSI 4 (ES) -:BFP: 1.7.11 Cobi arrived 09.03.12 [zx160]
Egg donation Aug 2012 BFN for recipient- gutted
Egg donation Dec 2012 Recipient :BFP:
Egg donation 27.05.2013- not great - please pray for the recipient :dust: