You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "keep the faith" started this thread

Reg: Jun 20th 2011

Children: is the question, 'soon' is the answer (fingers crossed)

Monday, September 5th 2011, 3:51pm

St Mary's / Care Manchester ????

Which hospital St Marys or Care manchester??? Weeks away from treatment at St Marys, and just compared the success rates for both (theres a HUGE differance). I am having IVF with ICSI and these are the results ....

St Marys Manchester have a live birth rate of 18.2% - 30.6% Averaging 23.9% Which is below the national average of 32.9%
Care Manchester have a live birth rate of 36.2% - 49.8% Averaging 42.9% Which is above the national average of 32.9%

I have spoken to Care this Morning, whom have said they are happy to take me as an NHS patient, and I have also spoken to St marys who have said my treatment should begin soon which I am very eager for however after reading these statistics im sooo confused. If I move to Care, I will be probabully delaying my treatment by an average of 2 - 3 months, but if I stay where I am the out come may not be as what it could be.

does anyone have any experiance of either hospital....??? I have always found St Marys to be good so far, However it takes for ever to get through on the phone and the staff dont seem as helpful as they could be, When I called 'Care' I spoke to a very helpfull lady and she answered the phone straight away.

Any Help and advice would be much appreciated xx
PCOS
DH Perfect (his opinion, not mine)
A laparscopy has shown tubal damage.
Ovarian drilling :BFN:
Prescribed Clomid 50mg for 18 months :BFN:
3x IUI 2 with clomid one with Menopur :BFN:
Currently taking Metformin 1500mg
xfingers ET Blasto Feb 2012 At Care Manchester

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: May 13th 2009

Children: One gorgeous little boy called Daniel

Tuesday, September 6th 2011, 12:03am

Hi Keep the Faith

I was under the care of St Mary's for my IVF but just as I was having all the scans & blood tests ready for the treatment, they referred me for the actual IVF at CARE because they were shutting the unit at St Mary's for building work. I found CARE to be excellent on all fronts, from answering the phone, re-jigging appointments for early scans/tests, the service on the day of egg collection & embryo transfe & ultimately we had our little boy through our first & only cycle of IVF. It was all funded on the NHS.

I am not criticising St Mary's though because they do an excellent job, the only problem I had with them was getting through on the phone & people ringing me back when they should.

I wouldn't stress too much about the success rates between the two though. You need to consider that St Mary's deal with women who are truly infertile, they will usually have spent years trying for a baby before even getting onto the waiting list with St Mary's & so the chances of treatment working for a large majority of those ladies are slim. Whereas CARE are in a slightly better position of being able to choose who they treat & I believe that a lot of women who go through them, although I have no doubt have had difficulty conceiving, when paying privately, they might not have been trying as long as NHS patients so the treatment could be more likely to work. Also CARE seem to usually do double embryo transfers as opposed to St Mary's generally only doing single embryo transfers so this would also account for their higher success rate.

If you have the opportunity to have your treatment funded on the NHS with CARE then I would consider it carefully. Not just because of their statistics but because they are experts in their field, the facitilities are fantastic and the surroundings for your scans & hospital admissions are so much better. Also there is parking on site and overall your appointments are much more prompt. I know that the extra couple of months wait might seem like an eternity now but in the long run, I don't think you would regret it.

I know I am biaised because the treatment worked for me at CARE but I do like to think that it would have worked at St Mary's too but who knows!

Good luck...whichever you decide, you are in good hands with both clinics xx

• "keep the faith" started this thread

Reg: Jun 20th 2011

Children: is the question, 'soon' is the answer (fingers crossed)

Tuesday, September 6th 2011, 10:13pm

Thanx very much for your reply lynne.... much appreciated :)

We are going to st marys at 7.30 on Thrursday morning to sign all the consent forms... every thing else has been done but them, due to the hospital waiting on a letter from my GP to say I have ceased smoking for three months... We now have to get the train at 5.15 Thursday morning to sign the documents. I have been kind of fast tracked as I should be going in on my next period (I have never wanted a period so bad in my life) hurry hurry hurrrrry......

St marys have been ringing me all morning to arrange this signing... 11 missed calls from them to be exact, yet when I tried to ring them back it took nearly an hour...

Ive decided to stick with them for ivf icsi, and will (maybe) transfer for treatment if i need a second try (hopefully not , fingers crossed).

Care sent me an information pack which i have studied tonight and it does all sound very good but as st marys were sooo good with my issues this morning I feel I should remain committed to them until i hit a hurdle.

I hope im as lucky as you in conceiving on first attempt... do you mind me asking what your infertility issues are?? Im trying to get my own statistics on each factor of fertility instead of just a general guide as what all clinics give. And what medications were you taking?

many thanx xx
PCOS
DH Perfect (his opinion, not mine)
A laparscopy has shown tubal damage.
Ovarian drilling :BFN:
Prescribed Clomid 50mg for 18 months :BFN:
3x IUI 2 with clomid one with Menopur :BFN:
Currently taking Metformin 1500mg
xfingers ET Blasto Feb 2012 At Care Manchester

MY DIARY

United Kingdom

Reg: May 13th 2009

Children: One gorgeous little boy called Daniel

Wednesday, September 7th 2011, 12:24am

Hi Keep the Faith....I don't think you will be disappointed with St Mary's, they do a grand job!

We had unexplained infertility so never really knew what the problem was. They decided to do the short protocol of IVF which I now understand is usually when you have a low ovarian reserve or they don't expect you to respond very well to the drugs, although no-one at St Mary's ever told me that. All I knew at the time was that it meant the cycle was half as long with less drugs involved so it suited me. With the short protocol, I went straight to stimulation from I think it was day 2 of my cycle but my memory is very hazy about it now. I was prescribed Menopur for the first part of the cycle and then I also had to have Cetrocide for the second half of the cycle & then I think it was 72 hours before I was due to go in for egg collection I had a trigger shot injection. I had to do this in the middle of the night because the timing fell that way! The thought of the injections was much worse than the reality.

I didn't really know very much about IVF then, I was very naive but I think that naivity helped in a way because I didn't over think things. I really made the most of the forums on here, especially the cycle buddy chatter which really helped get me through the injection phase, then went into the 2 week wait thread which got me through that bit & was really lucky to then post in BFP chatter & since then I have just kept coming back here. I know so much more now than I could ever have imagined and I owe that totally to the people on here.

Wishing you great luck & I am sure St Mary's will do you proud xx

Reg: Apr 10th 2017

Monday, April 10th 2017, 8:26pm

Hi I have a 3 and half year old little boy and I've always had problems with my menstral cycles and from early teens gp said it would likily be PCOS but they had months were they were normal cycles and I conceived my little boy after 2 months of trying .

3 3 and half years later we want to try for another baby so came
Of the pill Yasmin and was told to give it change to leave my system.

After only a few months my body has got into a cycle of 16 days !!!!

Been back to the GPs and they have said to give it 3 more months to make it 6 months after coming of the pill

Anyway 3 months later still the same 16 days cycles consisting of 7 days bleeding and around 7 days not bleeding with few days spotting before bleeding again . My skin is terrible and mood swings are getting worse safe to say I might aswell be period constantly with the spotting and the bad skin

And way returned to doctors with a Diary of my periods and she said she doesn't no what to suggest as she would just give me the pill to regulate my periods but I'm actively trying so that isn't an option other than to refer me to gynaecology

So had an initial letter from st Mary's to say an appointment had been made and not to attend as this wasn't an actually appointment it's a time slot for my referral to be looked at.
Since then spoke to Clinic and they said I will receive a pink form from the reproductive medicine department and not to be alarmed when I see ivf as this is not an option to us as we have one child already

So my question is what's going to happen now ?

Will I have bloods ultra sound and possibly try clomid or metaformin

I just want an idea what to expect if we can't have ivf
Any help would be appreciated

It's so frustrating not only to know the gap is getting bigger between what would be our children but more so that my periods are so often there's barely any time to try to conceive and it's very doubtful I will be ovulating ?o( ?o( ?o( ?o( ?o( ?o(

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE