You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Chava" started this thread

Reg: Sep 29th 2010

Monday, July 11th 2011, 2:11pm

Hashimoto's and Steroids

I have Hashimoto's (autoimmune hypothyroidism) and am in the middle of an ICSI cycle (short protocol.)

Today will be day 6 or stimms and I have been given steroids to start taking from today. Is this going to be too late to have any effect? When have other people started taking them? I can't find the posts now but I think people have started from a few months before.

I only found out about immunology issues (from this forum!) right before we we due to start the cycle and after a couple of cycles being cancelled I didn't want to cancel again but am now wondering if I did the right thing!

Monday, July 11th 2011, 2:26pm

Didn't want to read and run sweetie, not too sure about the steroids and timing, but I think it is probably fine and will start taking effect pretty soon. To be honest, if i remember correctly I think that I was going to start them from EC, but can't 100% remember. Hopefully someone will come along who can help you a little more. If I were you, I wouldn't cancel your cycle sweetie - just go with it.

I too have hashimotos, so if you have any questions please feel free to PM me. Are you taking medication? Make sure your TSH is between 0.5 and 2. I had immune tests done with Dr Gorgy, but ended up having a non-immune protocol and am now almost 34 weeks pregnant after 4 IVF cycles. We will never know what did the trick, but I do feel that acupunture and taking high dose omega 3 really helped. Although you should be careful taking omega 3 with steroids as they are both blood thinners.

Wishing you well. xxx

Monday, July 11th 2011, 3:20pm

Thanks, Amazing Grace.

I had my TSH tested last week and it was 2.15 so higher than I would have liked. I'm hoping it will still be OK as it is too late for any adjustment in meds to have any effect.

I'm not thinking of cancelling the cycle, just wondering whether I made a mistake in not waiting. To be honest, I was getting frustrated when more and more problems kept delaying our second attempt.

I guess better late than never with the steroids so I'll just see what happens.

Thanks for the heads up on the Omega 3, I didn't realise I should be careful with taking that at the same time as steroids. I've only just started taking the Omega 3 as well.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Chava" (Jul 11th 2011, 3:23pm)

Reg: Mar 4th 2010

Children: Lewis - 4 years

Monday, July 11th 2011, 8:52pm

Ladies, hope you dont mind me gatecrashing this thread!!! I was diagnosed with "elevated anti thyriod antibodies" recently and wondered if this is the hashimotos that you are talking about? We are mabye going to do another IVF now that we know this and the clinic have said that they would monitor my bloods and mabye prescribed thyroxine in early pregnancy. I would get steroids anyway as my clinic tends to prescribe them- and like you chava its normally a week into stims. x
Me 34 DH 40.
DS born without any problems- 2006

*1st miscarriage- blighted ovum June 2008
*2nd miscarriage September 2008
*1st ectopic- left tube rucptured Xmas Eve 2008
*2nd ectopic- right tube treated with methotrexate September 2009
*1st IVF- March 2010- chemical pregnancy
*2nd IVF July 2010- BFN
*FET December 2010- BFP. Twins from one egg! Lost twin one at 9 weeks and twin 2 at 10weeks
*Diagnosed with elevated anti thyriod antibodies May 2011
*Surprise natural BFP August 2011- 3rd ectopic. Right tube removed.

Monday, July 11th 2011, 9:24pm

Chav - Your TSH is around 2, so don't worry - it should be fine, but you could always check that your IVF consultants are aware of your thyroid level/antibody and that they are happy with it. This is the same with the steroids and omega 3 - just make sure that you tell them everything you are taking, so they can give you the best possible care and are aware of what you are taking. They are giving you good treatment - my clinic were totally against steroids etc.

Morvic - It could be Hashimotos that you have, but it depends on your other results too. Just please make sure that your thyroid TSH levels are down between 0.5 and 2, although around that level is fine too. The steroids might do the trick though as well, as they are directly linked to helping with the antibodies. I wasted years because of this - as soon as I was put on levaxin and my thryoid was reduced from only 4.85 to around 2 I got pregnant, but it took me going private to see an endocrinologist to get to this stage because my thryoid TSH was always just below 5, which is considered normal by a GP and I saw 3 or 4 for different opinions. Your T4 level is important in this too. Interestingly since I got pregnant my antidbody level had gone down to 160 odd from around 485 - not sure why! Definitely try another cycle - there is hope and you sound like you are being well taken care of.

Wishing you both well. Don't hesitate to message me if you have any questions. xxx

Monday, July 11th 2011, 9:36pm

Thanks so much for that. Just checked my results - my TSH level was 0.82 and T4 was 14 so all seems okay so far. x
Me 34 DH 40.

*2nd IVF July 2010- BFN
*FET December 2010- BFP. Twins from one egg! Lost twin one at 9 weeks and twin 2 at 10weeks

Monday, July 11th 2011, 9:41pm

That sounds pretty perfect Morvc! xx

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 5:19pm

My T4 was 1.5 and my clinic don't think my clinic even asked for it! I hope that level is OK, I'll mention it tomorow at my scan.

Morvc, with Hashimoto's the TSH tends to be very high. Mine was 10.7 when I was diagnosed but has gone down to just over 2 with treatment.

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Chava" (Jul 12th 2011, 5:21pm)

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 8:34pm

Thanks chava....looks like my results are better than I first thought. Hope your cycle is going well. xxx
Me 34 DH 40.

*2nd IVF July 2010- BFN

Tuesday, July 12th 2011, 9:08pm

I have been diagnosed with Hasimotos, but my TSH had never been above 5. Different Dr's will tell you different things as none of them seem to have a clue to be honest! The best place for advice on thyroid issues is through Thyroid UK - they have been fantastic. Hashimotos is more to do with the presence of antibodies, although I am not sure how it differs to Graves disease, which is similar. Hasimotos is actually an autoimmune disease when the body attacks the thyroid gland as if it were foreign tissue (through the antibodies) and therefore that is more of an issue than raised/lowered TSH/T4 levels, but TSH/T4 levels will become effected in time as the thyroid glands become more effected from the attacks of the antibodies.

Chav - you need to check to see whether the T4 test done was a Total T4 test OR a Free T4 test. If it was a Total T4 test then normal levels are about 4.5 - 12.5, but if your Free T4 then normal range is 0.7 -2.0 I am sure that you have probably been tested for Free T4, but better to check and make sure.

Wishing you both well with your treatments. xx

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 18th 2011

Children: Our miracle baby is on it's way!

Friday, July 15th 2011, 3:47pm

Hi Chava! Great to see you back on here and great to see that you are finally being able to cycle. Am glad that you have your thyroid issues being dealt with. That sounds great that they are putting you on steriods. Day 6 is ok to start. I started mine on day 5 of stimms. Let me know if you have any other questions about immune drugs etc.
Good luck with your cycle. I have my xfingers for you. xxxx

AMH 8.4 (me=36). 6 cycles clomid. Immune issues.
1st IVF cycle April 11 - canx due to endo cyst.
2nd IVF cycle with immune meds May 11 :BFP: [zx076] seen 5wk5d, 8wk5d, 12wk
"There can be miracles when you believe"
My diary

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE