You are not logged in.

Unread posts

The guest access to this forum was limited. Overall there are 10 Postings in this thread.
To read them all you should register yourself.

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

stowaway

• "stowaway" started this thread

Reg: Oct 9th 2009

Tuesday, June 21st 2011, 7:16am

PCO/PCOS and Egg Quality

Hello all,

I've just had my second round of unsuccessful ICSi and am trying to learn the lessons and improve my chances for my last go!

Before this whole process I had PCO, since the first ICSI/IVF cycle I have been diagnosed with PCOS which as a shock. I am not overweight, spotty or have excess hair, so had no visible signs, but diagnosis is based on my hormone levels.

Anyway, first IVF/ICSI, I was on 225 of Gonal F per day, overstimulated and got 35 follicles and OHSS. I was told that because I was overstimulated, the egg quality was poor, and they made poor embryos.

Second time they reduced the Gonal F to 150 per day, and change the trigger injection to avoid OHSS. I still overstimulated, and produced 20 follicles, I was told again that they were poor quality and made even poorer embryos.

One thing I did notice was that they took my eggs on a Friday - there was lots of discussion (doctor going in and out of room to speak to consultant) about whether to take the follicles on the Friday or to wait until the Monday - the hospital doesn't do the proceedure on a Saturday. I asked when they'd ideally take the follicles, the doc said o the Saturday. So my thinking is Friday was a bit too early - does anyone know if this could have contributed to the poor quality?

Also does PCO/PCOS mean you will always have poor egg quality? (I know that it's still possible to get pregnant from poor quality eggs, but it has a lower success rate).

Has anyone had a consultant that you've really felt understands over stimulation and PCOS? And what advice have they given?

I just get the impression there's a lot of guesswork going on, and also that there's not a huge amount of an individual care plan.

Thanks girls, xx
Me 39 PCO, Immune issues / DH 39 < 1 million sperm low mobility
5 failed ICSI, ARGC

Reg: Mar 31st 2011

Children: Two miracle princesses

Tuesday, June 21st 2011, 10:13am

Hi, not sure if I can help with all your questions but thought I'd tell you about my situation - I have pcos too. I was also on gonal f but only 112.5. This was then reduced to the lower dose (can't remember what that is now - 75?) and then two days before my trigger shot they stopped the gonal f completely. I still produced 46 follies however only 9 of them grew big enough - the dose of the gonal f ensured they didn't all grow too big which would then have caused overstimulation. I am not a medic so I have no idea if what I say is right but I presume that if they only allow a certain number of the follies to grow then the eggs should be of an ok quality - I have never heard that people with pcos have lower quality eggs.

I hope your next tx is successful xx
1st ICSI May 2011 - :BFP:

Scan on 29th June - [zx076] [zx076]

Abods

Star

United Kingdom

Reg: Aug 19th 2009

Children: None

Tuesday, June 21st 2011, 3:14pm

Hi

I can't answer all your questions but can say I do have PCO myself and on my first cycle got pregnant with a 4 cell embie, since then I have had 1 fresh and 1 frozen cycle where I produced very good embies to the point that I got 6 Blasts, however, even though these were very good quality I got a BFN on both cycles.

My first cycle I produced 24 eggs my second I got 14, my consultant always says its quality over quantity, but I've never heard that people with PCO have poorer quality eggs, but like I say I'm just one person. I hope other ladies can give you more reassurance that it has nothing to do with PCO/PCOS.

ABOD'S DIARY
Jun 09 - 1st IVF - BFP - Early M/C Nov 09 - 2nd IVF - BFN Feb 11- FET - BFN
Feb 2012 - FET with immunes - :BFP - M/C at 5.2wks
30 April 2012 - meeting with Dr Gorgy - Test done awaiting result

Switzerland

Reg: Oct 21st 2009

Tuesday, June 21st 2011, 3:18pm

I have PCO (without the S) too
no symptoms to speak of the Dr just observed cysts on my ovaries. Last stimm I didn't go on to produce many eggs so am not sure what was going on there!
I have not been told that this would affect the quality of my eggs either - would be interested to know if anyone else has been told different.
Lucky us being so "special"!!! x

stowaway

• "stowaway" started this thread

Reg: Oct 9th 2009

Wednesday, June 22nd 2011, 7:14am

Thanks Ladies, It's great to hear that you've gone further than I have so far, with PCO/PCOS.

And good to know you've been told that egg quality shouldn't be affected, maybe my age - 37 - is also a factor in the poor quality.
Me 39 PCO, Immune issues / DH 39 < 1 million sperm low mobility
5 failed ICSI, ARGC