You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "SunnyBee" started this thread

Reg: Sep 9th 2010

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 4:12pm

Genetic therapy - do you think it could help us?

Hi
I was just wondering if there is anybody on the forum who might be able to advise about genetic therapy.
I would like to understand if in our particular case - genetic therapy is the way to go or if we need to look at different options.

We have just failed our 4th fresh cycle. (more detail in my diary). But the summary is that we seem to be able to get 2 good embryos on day 3, those will progress to day 4 but then the development stops. What is there that genetic therapy could do for us? We have no history for genetic diseases in our families. Also what would the point be of doing any test if the emryos are not developing past day 3?

Can you geneticly test eggs and sperm separately or is it always done on an embryo?

Any thoughts?
Thank you. xxx

MY DIARY

April'10-IVF 4 eggs-none fertilised
Sep'10-ICSI 2 eggs,1 fertilised 7/10/10 BFN
Jan'11-ICSI 13 eggs,9 fertilsed, 2x8 cells put back - 4/2/11 BFN
May'11-ICSI 14 eggs,9 fertilised - none made it to day 5
Aug'11-DE,Czech Rep 13/8 2 blasts trans,1 frostie - :BFP:
Scan 8/9/11,3/10/11,20/10/11,15/12/11,6/1/12,2/2/12, 2/3/12, 5/4/12 bab10 bab11
Twins arrived 8/4/12 both healthy

United Kingdom

Reg: Mar 23rd 2011

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 4:24pm

Hi there sorry to hear of your problems [zx127]

Im kinda new to this as Im just waiting for my treatment, my genetic makeup was done by blood test where they found I have a translocation of 7 and 9, Dh is fine however there are women on here were its the husand who has the translocation. After EC they biposy the egg to test for any abnormality and only do ET on the "normal" ones that have fertilised and grown properly.

Im sure someone who knows a lot more than me will be able to advise better.

You should join in the chatter thread though as that is where we all talk :)

x

Reg: Oct 26th 2009

Children: None yet, hopefully soon

Saturday, May 28th 2011, 8:33pm

Hi Sunnybee

Sorry to hear that you're having problems, infertility is just an awful thing to go through. This section of FZ is for PGD with IVF, which is pre-implantation genetic diagnosis. This involves taking the sperm and egg and fertilising in vitro. The embryos which are created are then biopsied ( a cell is removed), and this cell is tested. In my case I have a balanced translocation (the same as Lightning). Some of the embryos will have unbalanced chromosmes and are therefore not viable. This will show up from the biopsied cell. These embryos are discarded and are not returned to the uterus. The balanced ones are used for the embryo transfer. Unfortunately this is still no guarantee as I got pregnant after the PGD, but subsequently miscarried anyway (for the 6th time). I have always known I had the translocation as my whole family was tested when we were young due to my aunts recurrent miscarriages. I would suggest you talk to your doctors and enquire whether you can have genetic tests, and whether the doctors think that genetic issues are causing your particular problems. I doubt that a translocation is your problem as these embryos seem to be OK for a while before they cause miscarriage (but thats just from my personal experience). The other thing that PGD does is it picks up genes which could cause the baby to have genetic disease. But again if there is no history of this in your family I think its unlikely you would need PGD. PGS is a screening process which looks for various issues, not just one particular one, so maybe this is something you could look into. I hope this is helpful, I am certainly no expert, but this is just info I have picked up along the way!

Best of luck on your journey, I hope it ends well for you xfingers
Mon xx

PS the chatter page is good as Lightning says, its where we all hang out :happy:
Mon77

:xxx3:

5x m/c all before 10 weeks :angel2:
IVF with PGD Feb '11 24/2/11 :BFP: 3/3/11 early miscarriage :angel2:
Waiting NHS tx 2

This post has been edited 1 times, last edit by "Mon77" (May 28th 2011, 8:35pm)

• "SunnyBee" started this thread

Reg: Sep 9th 2010

Thursday, June 2nd 2011, 10:17am

Lightning and Mon thank you for you messages. I have booked an appointment with my GP to find out if we can have the Karyotype blood test done. If not I will find out what my clinic says at the follow up next Friday and maybe we could have it done privately somewhere.
I don't think that that PGD is what we need at this stage, just from the little I understand about it now (as we are not creating viable embryos), but we will see what the clinic says.
Thank you girls. :thanx:

MY DIARY

April'10-IVF 4 eggs-none fertilised
Sep'10-ICSI 2 eggs,1 fertilised 7/10/10 BFN
Jan'11-ICSI 13 eggs,9 fertilsed, 2x8 cells put back - 4/2/11 BFN
May'11-ICSI 14 eggs,9 fertilised - none made it to day 5
Aug'11-DE,Czech Rep 13/8 2 blasts trans,1 frostie - :BFP:
Scan 8/9/11,3/10/11,20/10/11,15/12/11,6/1/12,2/2/12, 2/3/12, 5/4/12 bab10 bab11
Twins arrived 8/4/12 both healthy