You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "hopeful h" started this thread

Reg: Feb 9th 2010

Children: 1 perfect boy born after icsi tx

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 10:50pm

Constipation

Just wondered has anyone any advice. Lo had no problems at all until recently. His last dirty nappy was Sunday (plenty wet ones) I rang the midwife yesterday and she suggested brown sugar in boiled cooled water, she said this would cause a mini explosion but might not work first time and to repeat today. Done this and still nothing. He seems fine apart from this, taking his feeds and very happy generally. I don't know how long I should leave it or should i just get to Docs tomorrow? He would normally have a dirty nappy at least every 2nd day.

FET JAN 2012 - 2 embies :BFN:
2 still on ice for another day xfingers

My Diary

Kimby

Reg: Feb 16th 2010

Children: Beautiful girl born 7th Feb 2011.

Thursday, March 31st 2011, 11:05pm

Hi HH, my GP and HV told me breast fed babies can go up to 10 days without a poo. As long as your LO has plenty of wet ones I'm sure he'll be fine.

19verve

United Kingdom

Friday, April 1st 2011, 6:48am

Boiled water and boiled water and sugar will eventually work. My dd only went about three times a week. Best wishes x

macD

Ace

Reg: Sep 27th 2010

Children: Wonderful 7 year old boy

Friday, April 1st 2011, 8:55am

Hi hopeful h,

Sorry, but I just can't recommend the brown sugar thing!!

Does your DS feed well at the breast? How often is he feeding? Does he seem well in himself? Is he straining to have a poo or not bothered at all? BF babies can sometimes go for quite a long time without a poo and this can be normal. Have you changed your diet at all?

If he seems generally well then I probably wouldn't worry too much. If you're concerned though, get advice from HV or GP.

Good luck! Take care, love, macD xx

Friday, April 1st 2011, 11:07am

Hi girls, MacD he feeds well, every 4 hours daytime, about 8 or 9 at night. He seems perfectly well otherwise, I'm just a bit concerned as it's such a big change for him. If he normally went every few days I wouldn't be too bothered but to go from almost daily to this is strange. He isn't straining to go, he's just not doing anything! I think I might just give the doc a ring this morning for a bit peace of mind since we are going into the weekend and the medical services aren't so good then.

My Diary

Bells

ADMINISTRATOR

United Kingdom

Friday, April 1st 2011, 11:17am

It's perfectly normal for breastfed babies to poo seven times a day or once a week. There's very little waste from breastmilk and your composition is always changing.

The brown sugar thing is still often recommended by old school midwives and HVs. It's not going to cause any damage but considering that it's normal for your baby not to poo and considering that coping with sugar syrup may upset his digestion a little ..... it does seem more like something to make you feel as though you're 'doing something' rather than sitting back and waiting for nature to take its course. If he's otherwise well it would seem pointless to effectively give him a laxative to relieve your worries.

Reg: Apr 9th 2009

Friday, April 1st 2011, 2:27pm

You could also try a bit of massage. Go clockwise in a diamond shape around the stomach area but not as high up as the ribs (basically bottom point of the diamond is just above pelvis level in line with DS's dangly bits as my massage teacher put it). My DS has not really had constipation only having not had a poo on one day. He is also BF, but after a massage where I focussed on his stomach area, he had a bit of an explosion and has been back to normal ever since. Even if it doesn't help, it won't harm and DS might actually enjoy having a massage. (BTW, I just use organic olive oil, but any olive oil / sunflower oil can be used, you don't need flashy massage oils.)
Elisa
IVF Aug 09 - Brief BFP
FET Jan 10 :BFP:
bab11 Alexander James 17/10/10

2nd FET Feb 13 :BFN:

My Trying Again Diary

Saturday, April 2nd 2011, 2:05pm

Hi girls, well just a quick update. I phoned the docs again yesterday morning and spoke to another nurse. She said to try fresh orange diluted with boiled cooled water and to bring DS in in the afternoon. Doc said he didn't want to leave nature to take it's course due to the fact DS is normally so regular and this was very unusual for him. Anyway he prescribed a laxative which I gave him last night and hey presto we had a nice dirty nappy three hours ago, no straining or problems so it looks like we might be back on track. Thanks for all the advice. x p.s Elisa, didn't try the massage as I don't feel I know enough about it but there's a class starting locally soon so I think I might give it a go.

My Diary

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE