You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "mistykins" started this thread

Reg: Nov 26th 2009

Children: none as yet! HOPING 2012 WILL BE OUR YEAR

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 5:01pm

Anyone had full immunology tests done direct with Chicago to save money??

Hi guys need some advise please. Have just had my 2nd failed icsi at CARE manchester and Dr Atkinson recommended having the following tests done.
Full level 1screen
NK assay,TH1,TH2,HLA DQ alpha
We have been quoted £2000 for these tests to be done at CARE which is a he'll of a lot of money onto of the £5500 for another fresh cycle. I really want to get these done before another cycle to see if there is anything that can be changed.
I have contacted the Chicago university direct and they have quoted me just over a £1000 which is a lot more reasonable.
My question is will my GP do the bloods? Do I have to send them off myself?? Or can I get the bloods done in London at wimpole street??

Anyone done this themselves? Need advise asap am confused and in need of saving money!!! ?o( :?: :wacko:

MY DIARY

TTC SINCE JULY 2008
ME 34 ( couple of immune issues Inc low progestrone)
DP 40 LOW [zx151] COUNT
2 x ICSI 2010/2011 = BFN's :bawl:
Icsi no.3 with immune meds nov 2011 = BFN! :bawl:
Round no.4 FET March 2012

Maria72

Italy

What's Up?
ohffs

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 5:06pm

I paid £900 at the ARGC.

Reg: Mar 10th 2010

Children: 2012 will see us bring home are baby one way or another

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 6:39pm

Hi babes, I had all mine and DHs done at care in total this cycle is going to cost us over £9000. Tests, icis, medication, travel and accomadation :thumbdown: I looked into doing it direct with the clinic in Chicago, but it was going to be far to stressfully. My gp agreed to do the bloods but then you have to pack them yourself. (they have to be correctly packed and labeled to get through customs) They have to be sent on a certain day, sent via fed-ex. It just got far to confusing for me so i just paid care. But i have to be honest im so glad i did tests found MTHFR, PAI-1, and Raised TH1/TH2 Cells.

Sorry im not much help. x x x
7 x BFN: :rant:

2013 Moving on to something new

BraveGirl

Superstar

• "BraveGirl" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Feb 15th 2008

Children: One on the way.

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 6:47pm

this might help, not FZ endorsed and some of it is out of date,. I personally thought it was too much hassle. LIT is done by Dr Gorgy now i know that.

http://www.fertilityfriends.co.uk/forum/…p?topic=82741.0
IVF 1 :BFP: baby5 in heaven 6 weeks
IVF 5 :BFP: Immune protocol Care Sheffield
Oscar Miles arrived 15 April 2011 weighing 6lbs 14oz
My Diary

United Kingdom

Reg: Feb 10th 2009

Children: Approved to adopt January 2012

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 7:27pm

Hi Misty. CARE quoted us the same figure a few months back, and I have to admit that it was one of the deciding factors in us walking away from treatment. We were annoyed, because only a couple of months before, they had quoted us £1450.00. I hope you manage to sort something out - it may be an idea to contact ARGC if they're only charging £900.00 and see if there's some way you could get them done there. Might mean a trip to and from London on the train, but it's a darn sight cheaper than 2k. Good luck hun xxx

Jappy

Reg: Sep 10th 2009

Children: One

What's Up?
I am a mommy !!!

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 8:19pm

I think that is expensive also...I had mine at ARGC also and it was £805.
Jappy

MY DIARY - Jappy's Journey

6th time lucky. BFP 30.12.11 : D
twins confirmed 10.1.12 :faint:
Lost one twin at 9 weeks. So sad x
Baby James born 18.9.12 - Finally blessed : D

Reg: Mar 10th 2010

Children: 2012 will see us bring home are baby one way or another

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 9:25pm

We also had sperm dna fragmentation and aneuploidy tests these were about £600 so for just the level 1 and 2 tests it was about £1400.
7 x BFN: :rant:

2013 Moving on to something new

ruthie

Superstar

• "ruthie" is no longer a member of FZ

Reg: Aug 31st 2008

Children: 3 angels looking after us.

Tuesday, March 29th 2011, 10:04pm

Bear in mind that the cost charged by the Chicago lab is to run the bloods and give you the results. The clinics that do the tests will be charged similar, (though they will get a discount for doing loads!) If you have them done independently they won't be interpreted for you, and that's half the battle. As a rule of thumb, when I run lab tests for clients, we charge roughly twice the lab fee to the client. This covers the time it takes me to interpret them. That twice figure isn't always true, as obv if a blood test costs loads, we don't just double it, and it is actually worked out a bit more sophisticatedly (or something!)
So if you get a load of results, not only will be you be stuck with interpreting them, but also with needing a doctor to make treatment recommendations. Interpreting them is a lot more complex than it might seem. It has to be done in the context of your medical history etc etc and even if you could interpret them, you'd still need someone to prescribe the relevant drugs, which your GP prob can't and won't do. Reproductive immunology is such a new field that most GPs haven't got a clue about it, let alone the knowledge to properly interpret the results.
£2000 seems fairly in line with what I paid. I'm at ARGC and I paid about £900 for my first lot of immune bloods but that didn't include level 1 tests (as they'd already been done) and HLA DQ alpha as ARGC don't do that. I then had HLA DQ alpha done separately at ARGC and I think that cost me £450 so £1350 in total without the Level 1s. ARGC won't just do them for you either, you'd have to have a consult there first which is another £150, and a waiting list! Your GP may agree to do Level 1 tests for you, though most NHS docs will only do them after 3 m/cs as that's the official guidelines. If your GP is on side though, or your PCT isn't too strapped for cash (!) they might do those and they are fairly pricey on their own.

Sorry, just re read that and it sounds really negative. Just from bitter experience I've tried to reduce costs with immune tx so many ways along the line and it doesn't seem to be possible!

chatterbox

Megastar

Reg: Nov 30th 2007

Children: Two heaven sent miracles!

Wednesday, March 30th 2011, 9:27am

Hi hun, I've sent you an answer to oyur PM, but I'll reiterate here that immunology is a jump in with both feet kind of approach. If you want to be tested, you've got to take the cost on the chin - I know its a b*gger, but the results will change your appraoch to tx whatever the outcome!

big hugs xxxx (I think I typed big bugs in my PM rotf )

Me 40 DH 35 TTC 10yr
peritoneal mesothelioma, cystectomy 97 & 00
peritonectomy, lost both tubes & most of left ovary Aug 07

Dec 07 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk
July 08 BFN
Dec 08 BFP b/ov m/c 9.6wk

July 09 BFN
Nov 09 BFP 2 x sacs 1 b/o 1 no hrtbt m/c 9.2wk
May10 BFP at 8+4 m/mc @10wk scan ERPC

Found: High NK cells, DQ Alpha match, LAD neg & PAI-1 pos...

NOV 2010 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :girl: born 25/8/11

OCT 2012 - Immune IVF at CARE Manchester
:BFP: [zx076] :boy: born 24/6/13