You are not logged in.

Unread posts

Dear visitor, welcome to FertilityZone . If this is your first visit here, please read the Help. It explains in detail how this page works. To use all features of this page, you should consider registering. Please use the registration form, to register here or read more information about the registration process. If you are already registered, please login here.

• "Tessalina" started this thread

Reg: Nov 9th 2009

Children: Eibhlin born 20th Feb 2011

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 8:17pm

Out & About & Feeding

Hi

Am after a bit of advice on bottle feeding when out & about. I have had so many conflicting ways of bottle feeding when out that I just want some advice from you guys and how you did it.

I have been told to:

1. Take out boiling water in a flask and some formula and mix it up when needed
2. To take out a bottle ready made, keep in a bag warmer and use when needed (how long should I keep this for as some say an hour some say up to 4 hours)
3. Use the pre made up formula from a carton (But this would be cold wouldnt it as my LO has her milk warmed through)
4. Add boiling water to the bottle and keep in bag warmer and add the foruma when needed

There are so many different ways I am so confused!!

Any personal experiences would be greatly appreciated

:xxx3: :xxx3:

Me 30 DH 35 -TTC 5 Years
1st ever Natural :BFP: May 09 - Ectopic - Tube Removal
1st IVF Jan 10 :BFN:
2nd IVF May 10 :BFP:

MY DIARY

19verve

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 8:41pm

If i was out and about i would use ready made cartons and just hope I could heat it upbut my DD didnt mind it being cold either. Or I would fill the bottle with the boiled water and use the tommee tippee powder holder and out the powder milk into the bottle just before her feed. I was told by HV to never prepare podwer and water in advance and being a first time MOM i never did. I always found somewhere that would fill up my little jug with boiling water!

Ros

Megastar

Reg: Mar 14th 2008

Children: twin girls thanks to PGD!

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 8:47pm

Hello, I was very confused about this at the beginning too. I used cartons or boiled water in bottles and then putting powder into the bottles as Verve says above.
However, the instructions on the formula packets do not recommend this at all (something to do with the boiled water needing to be a certain temperature when combined with the formula powder). You'll find people doing it all sorts of ways but the real no no is taking ready made formula out with you (unless you use it in an hour or so).
I never heated milk for my two so they would even drink it straight from the fridge. If I were you I'd try some room temperature milk with your baby so it's easier for you if you don't have a heating option anytime, and then it's easy peasy with the cartons. All the best x

After 5 years of endo surgery, clomid, 2 x MM/C, 2 x ICSI cycles and 1 PGD cycle,
beautiful twin girls born 8th Feb 2010, we are so grateful

19verve

United Kingdom

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 8:59pm

Like your new ticker Ros!

Turkey

Reg: Feb 5th 2009

Children: 1 boy, 1 girl

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 9:35pm

Hi, I used to either take the water in the bottle and the powder seperately and heat up or take a carton of ready made formula and an empty bottle and just heat up.

Reg: Apr 5th 2009

Children: Blessed with a beautiful little boy

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 10:12pm

Hi, made up formula should be used within 2 hours (or at least thats what it says on the one I use, Aptimal). I used to take the ready made bottles out with me, the only problem I found is that Aptimals ready made only comes in 7oz bottles whereas Aiden was taking up to 9oz but I just took extra snacks to compensate. Luckily Aiden was fine drinking it at room temperature. I have used those powder holders but again they dont take 9 scoops but are quite handy. Try both ways and go with what you find works best for you and just take made up formula if you're going to be feeding not long after that way you're not worrying. I used to take made up formula if it was coming up to feeding time, so I would give it to him as soon as it had cooled as I would have at home. xxx
Cheryl
1st ICSI blessed with Aiden Reece Parkin born 01.01.10

Reg: Feb 24th 2008

Children: 1 baby girl

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 10:21pm

Hiya

I've only just started taking formula out during the day this week as have mainly bf but I've watched a lot of my friends do it and they all have the tommee tippee travel flask where you can put the hot water into the big lid thingy and warm the bottle in that. They all seem to take out the water in the bottle and heat it out and add the powder to the bottle when out OR a few have the cartons.

I've ordered one of the bottle warmers today off the boots website as I'll be feeding Meg more formula over the next few months I think.

2 ectopic pregnancies - 2005 & 2009
beautiful daughter born Sept 2010 thanks to IVF
IVF#3 April/May 2012 - BFN
IVF#4 in Oct/Nov 2012

MY DIARY

• "Happy Christine" is 48 years old today

Reg: Feb 9th 2009

Children: One precious little son born 2/2/10

Tuesday, March 15th 2011, 10:41pm

Hi we used to take out the bottle just with the water in it and then add the powder when needed. Adam took his milk at room temp so no problem but otherwise take a flask with some hot water and heat up the bottle by standing bottle in some hot water. Only ever used the pre made cartons whan we were flying.

Christine xx

Keep happy and healthy xxx

Reg: Dec 27th 2008

Wednesday, March 16th 2011, 5:07pm

There are so many different ways of doing it, but I took my midwife's advice....

In the morning, I sterilise all my bottles and then add freshly (once) boiled water and store them on my kitchen side - max 24 hours. Whenever I need a bottle, I heat the bottle in a jug of hot water before adding the powder... I find it mixes much more easily if the water is warm first. Whatever hasn't been used within 1 hour I throw away. When I go out, I use a powder dispenser from Tesco - it has 3 compartments and takes up to 8 scoops of powder - and I have the Tomee Tippee flask as I find I relax knowing I'm self sufficient.

I would discourage you to take made up bottles with you as you only have a small window of opportunity to use them... if for whatever reason you were delayed, you'd be a bit stuck. I have also heard it suggested you take boiled water in a thermos but I always thought 1 - the inside of the thermos hasn't been sterilised so is that not a bit odd and 2 - It's not always possible to cool a bottle down when you need it desperately (I discovered this myself during a particularly stressful trip to a shopping centre - none of the sinks in mothercare or the feeding stations had cold taps!!)

I'm sure you'll find a way that suits you all best and you'll be soon spending your days out and about! xx

ICSI Dec 08 & June 09 BFN, ICSI Dec 09 :BFP: Our miracle son born 1st Oct 2010

Reg: Feb 18th 2010

Thursday, March 17th 2011, 4:27pm

We take a bottle with the boiled water in it which we make up at the start of the day and put in the fridge, when we are out we add the powder then warm it up with water from a flask (tommie tippie) but hes quite happy to drink it cold if its not convenient to warm it.

IUI - February 2010 - :BFN:
IUI - March 2010 - :BFP: :boy:
26/11/2010 - baby Samuel born

MY DIARY

FERTILITYZONE

MEDHURST – PROUD HOSTS OF FERTILITYZONE